Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How to repair emblem

Hello,

One of the pins on the Porsche logo has broken off.
Does anyone know of a good way to repair this

Old 03-22-2020, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You might consider cleaning and sanding the back side of the emblem as smooth as possible. Then use some 3m double stick tape for emblems to fasten the logo back in place while still using the existing pins to ensure the correct placement. The newer car emblems are all attached in this manner.

Just a suggestion and method that I would likely employ. RC
Old 03-22-2020, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks RC
Old 03-22-2020, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

Possibly better yet?
as was suggested: grind or sand flat the broken stud area,
drill small hole where stud has snapped off
as deep as you dare, (measure twice, drill once!) find a length of slightly smaller diameter aluminum, (or whatever you prefer that your attachment clip will work on) cut to proper length and epoxy into hole. Much cleaner, in my experience the dbl. backed tape always shows around the edges because even with an exact-o knife it's tough or impossible to trim to correct size.
Good luck!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks Peter,
I was thinking about doing what u suggest but I am worried about drilling through the aluminium and making a mess of a 50+ year old logo
Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

David that material is pretty soft, you won't have to push too much or very hard.
Practice on another piece of soft metal first several times to get the hang of it.
Somehow, without distorting the emblem, secure it in place. Maybe use wooden "C" clamps or something...
Set a depth limiter on the drill (bit) by putting a mark on the drill bit where you want it to stop.
Take your time!
You can do it.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I managed to fix the broken pin on the logo, hopefully this may help others with the same problem.

I filed the top of the broken pin flat and then drilled a 1,5 mm hole down the length of what was left of the pin. I then took a small steel screw and used it to tap a thread into the hole.

Using a lathe I turned a piece of aluminium bar to the same diameter as the pin. I then drilled a 1,5 mm hole into the new pin and tapped a thread using the screw. When this was done I cut the pin of the bar to the correct length. I then ground the head of the screw to make it into a stud

I then applied JB weld to the screw threads and screwed the parts together.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Brilliant solution.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

nice way to mod the mod! That fix might outlast the car!
(See...I knew you could do it.)

Last edited by peter leinberge; 03-29-2020 at 07:42 PM..
Old 03-29-2020, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
repair logo