Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

PATINA 68 SWB 912 PROJECT- Ex Race Car

Hello! Thought Iíd start a thread on my 912... posted it in a few threads and it sparked some interest. The overall plan for this car is to keep it FULLY patina on the exterior, have a very sound drivetrain. The interior will be half finished with a carpet kit.. probably rsr style door panels, aftermarket seats ect...

Anyways... very long story short, this car was listed locally on ďOffer UpĒ a fairly recognized classified app for a very cheap price. After reaching out immediately with interest the owner was overwhelmed with calls and messages.. I ended up knowing him. After weeks of talking he had it appraised and decided to keep it.. I was bummed and life went on.. months later I get a text from him that he wanted X, and if that worked come get it. The rest is history... it was in the same spot for 7-8 with no cover, tires rotted.. I went and purchased new tires, swapped them Out and we drug it onto my trailer.

** the story in this car is that the seller has a non profit race team, he had this car and two 914ís that they took and ran at San Diego, it was driven by a great local woman and it won a few races in the stock class, he has multiple news articles/ trophies and racing event memorabilia that he is gathering to give me.. it was sponsored by many! Local businesses to our valley in which you can still see faded outlines of all over the car.

I got her home and began to clean! Lots and lots of cleaning.... I think I vacuumed out 20+ lbs of rat crap... sand..ect. After a day or two I finally opened the deck lid ( let me go back.... he told me there was NO engine with the car and I honestly didnít even bother to look) to my suprise, there was! An engine..score.... still didnít know if it ran though.

After that I called a few buddies and local Shops... the car ended up going to local guy (pelican member- METAHAPER) after he was recommended by many. Jim looked over the car and we found it to be pretty rough but first thing first... letís see if we can get it to run.. started with Ordering complete carb kits And a few other basics.. come to find out the motor was no bueno, few bad cylinders. After than news we began to search for another engine and ended up sourcing a fresh! Engine from another local shop that was for a 356 project, 356b with big bore cylinders, fresh tins and a 12v conversion! It was a deal of the century so I didnít flinch on it... while it was there we dug further removed the tank to clean, all new fuel system/ brake lines/ bushings / rotors/ struts/ rear shocks/ master cylinder/ refurbished the pedal assembly and fixed lots of chewed up wiring! She is now running on her own...

Itís now back at my shop where I continued to clean! Removed all interior, old carpet, ect.. more cleaning! Right now as it sits Iíve removed and replaced all running light bulbs, did a H4 Light conversion, removed deck lid grille which was mangled and spray black, in the works of stripping and straightening. My best friend paints for rod Emory- so I was able to score some low back fiberglass seats! That I have mounted on universal seat brackets with sliders both driver and passenger.

Next on the list:
Wheels! (Not fuchs!, Iíll let it be a surprise)
Carpet kit
Door panels and dash pad
Seat covers for front seats
Re cover rear seats
1 patch on the passenger side of pan
Lower it

Drive the hell out of it!

Enjoy and Iíll keep the updates coming.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Old 05-10-2020, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Old 05-10-2020, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Very cool!
Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
Handles like a 912 and goes like a 911
www.reSeeWorks.com
Old 05-11-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Love this car! Thanks for the updates and background info..!
Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Thanks!
Old 05-12-2020, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Open Highway Productions

Garage
Great story and find. Do you have anymore info on the awesome looking 356 engine you installed?
Old 05-18-2020, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Very excited on her new wheels! Cleaned them up with scotch brite and some elbow grease for now, but I think Iím going to go Matte black eventually.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Gathering more memorabilia and pieces from
Seller.

Original manual

Old 05-21-2020, 10:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA912 View Post

Very excited on her new wheels! Cleaned them up with scotch brite and some elbow grease for now, but I think Iím going to go Matte black eventually.
What wheels are those, I like them.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
944 Turbo spare wheels. 5 1/2 by 15

I like what you are doing to your car. Neat stuff.
Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
Handles like a 912 and goes like a 911
www.reSeeWorks.com
Old 05-27-2020, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Yes 944 turbo spares.... really wanted 10 holes but I dig these now that I have them! They look Tough in black.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Also got the rotted pan section cut out and new cut, will tack it in and re coat tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Update-

Front fiberglass buckets/ rear seats/ door panels and some misc interior pieces dropped off at upholstery shop! Also picked up a black carpet kit from a pelican member.. that should be going in this week. Excited
Old 06-17-2020, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Few more pics from the original owner...

Showing pre paint job... At a car show in Palm Springs with her 914 twin... a few random magazines.. and they came up with the paint scheme by having the young volunteers color and vote.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

BIG UPDATE! Finally got all of the interior complete 😀. Done by a local buddy of mine who specializes more in bespoke hotrod builds. Weather is getting better and Iíll be getting into the shop soon to install. Have a few minor pieces to buy.. the centers of two front seats are all Modular and come out with hidden snaps.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wow. I just love this little coupe of yours...! And the interior and seats are spot-on as well. Which seat did you select?
Old 10-07-2020, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySnakePMC View Post
Wow. I just love this little coupe of yours...! And the interior and seats are spot-on as well. Which seat did you select?
Thank you!

They are actually Emory outlaw buckets.. Iím lucky enough to grab a pair from
Him, my best friends paints all his builds

Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: