Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

fuel tank treatment for storage

The pandemic has affected us in a variety of ways. In my case, I am stranded outside the country and far away from my favorite toy, a '66 912.
The car is garaged and safe but it appears that I won't gain access to it for quite some time.

What recommendations would the group make for a fuel treatment/stabilizer that can be dumped down the fuel filler to keep the gas from going sour and perhaps reduce tank rust as my car sits idle?

My Mother has kindly offered to perform the procedure in my absence but I will need to keep it from being too technical (can't have her draining the float bowls or anything like that).

She has offered to drive it around but I don't trust her lead foot....

Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
There are several fuel additives on the market, and I think one is called Stabilize. Gumout may be another decent fuel additive. Can your mom drive the car, to ensure it gets mixed in and inside the carbs after say 10-15 miles? When you get back, make sure you replace all of the fuel hose with e.g. Gates Barricade, since new ethanol-based fuels (everything) becomes acidic inside the lines, and sooner or later they'll start leaking.
Old 07-16-2020, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Grab a bottle of Sta-Bil - its been around for decades and works. The problem you have is that they recommend a full tank of gas (less surface area exposed to oxygen) so it would be great if you could have someone fill the tank. Ideally you'd want to have someone drive the car for a long enough time to get some of the mixture into the fuel pump and carbs. Also the fuel currently in the car might already be getting a little sour, so adding fresh gas would help keep the mix fresh.
You might ask other areas of this site (i.e. 911, 914 forums) if there's someone in the SLO area who could lend a hand.
Good luck
Bill
p.s. Did you get trapped in Mexico?
Old 07-16-2020, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFBowen View Post
Grab a bottle of Sta-Bil - its been around for decades and works. The problem you have is that they recommend a full tank of gas (less surface area exposed to oxygen) so it would be great if you could have someone fill the tank.
Good luck
Bill
p.s. Did you get trapped in Mexico?
Great advice Bill.
I always appreciate my interactions with the forum. Experienced Porsche people who get my jokes....
Stuck in Medellin, Colombia. Reading the US news, I think we might be doing better here.

For now, I'm going to have Mom dump 2oz. of Sta Bil 360 into the tank and rock the car around a bit to mix it. Not ideal but it's what I have available. I pulled the battery before I left so a "start and drive" scenario might be a bit tricky.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

How long will you be gone? If two or three months, don't worry about it. If longer use Sta-Bil. Rocking the car won't do it. Trust your mother to get help with the battery and drive it around for a few minutes to mix the additive with the fuel and get it all the way to the carburetors. Perhaps you could even convince your mother to top up the tank on her nickel.

Last edited by ejboyd5; 07-24-2020 at 03:31 PM..
Old 07-24-2020, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: