Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Help, Porsche 912,maybe the Volkswagen clutch will be right/fit?

Guys
Maybe sombody has any experience...
In my Country,the Clutch Set for a 912 is very expensive,

Just in Case, maybe it matches one of the Volkswagen types?
Somebody told me,that the Typ 3 size is same.
But not Sure.
Thx for any input.
Greetings from Hungary.

Last edited by Antony Mann; 07-26-2020 at 05:12 AM..
Old 07-26-2020, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

********AZ has a new Sachs clutch kit that includes disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing for 65-69 912’s for $300.00 but I’m not sure about shipping to Hungary. Now, Quality speciality components has a pressure plate for a Type 1 that’s convertible to a 356/912 for $48 and free shipping. One thing you can do is take your clutch disc and have new material riveted onto it. I know I might get flamed for this but the disk material is what wears. You can reuse the throwout bearing as long as it spins. Cleanup the flywheel with some sandpaper, 400 grit. Unless the pressure plate is warped you can reuse it. This is what I did with a 914 and just replacing the disc got me another 90,000 miles.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi,
thx for your quick answer.
Yes,Unfortunately, If the product come from State,I have need to pay 10% Customs Fee, and 27% local Tax after Invoice, Sure, plus shipping cost...Its Crazy..
Old 07-29-2020, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have heard that VW discs can be used but also that they are thinner which make them subject to slippage/less service if other parts (flywheel, pressure plate) are not original spec.

IMHO, the newer 912 4-spring clutch discs are inferior to the original six-spring discs. If cost of new is an issue, you may want to investigate getting your old disc relined with new friction material. If you are set on new, another option would be to have a friend in the States send you a disc.

Peter
2013 Cayenne Diesel

Last edited by Peter Graham; 07-30-2020 at 03:29 AM..
Old 07-30-2020, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Isn't Hungary a member of the European Common Union? I'm sure the parts you need are available in Germany, a fellow member nation. Wasn't one of the main reasons for the establishment of the Union to reduce trade and taxation barriers between member nations?
Old 07-30-2020, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Antony, what is that color of your 912. I think I have a good clutch disc for a 912. Can you PM me your mailing address
Old 07-30-2020, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
Isn't Hungary a member of the European Common Union? I'm sure the parts you need are available in Germany, a fellow member nation. Wasn't one of the main reasons for the establishment of the Union to reduce trade and taxation barriers between member nations?
Great point, EJ!! CSP 200mm Clutch Disc
2013 Cayenne Diesel
Old 07-30-2020, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
Sure, but has Crazy situation:

In Germany, all parts is expensive,like a State.
The mentioned Clutch Set is almost 600 Euro!...Euro,not us dollar.(Plate,disc,bearing)
Example the Bearing is 180 Euro without Tax.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess p View Post
Antony, what is that color of your 912. I think I have a good clutch disc for a 912. Can you PM me your mailing address

Thank you for your Help,
I have need the Set, The disc is not Enough.

I just Wondering, because -When I bough the car- the seller gived me few extra parts,in Brand new conditions!
The Main Brake Cylinder (was Brand New"NOS",but 25 years old), finaly was Garbage, because all 5 piece Gumi ring (inside) was garbage.
Fortunately, the VW POLO 50 Size of brake rings was same, I bought the rebuild parts in Value 5 (five) Euro/Set....
Little bit Funy: If I looking for a Porsche,will be "gold" price, for a VW, only Few Euro/Dollars

The Clutch is same situation:
Brand New parts,but 25 years old....

Last edited by Antony Mann; 08-15-2020 at 08:54 AM..
Old 08-15-2020, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
porsche 912 parts