Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Power bleeding brakes question - no pressure...

bought some new brake lines quite a few months back - also just bought a fancny/schmancy Motive power brake bleeder so I could bleed brakes without my wife's help...

filled the bottle with a couple of gallons (well, maybe a liter or so ) of brake fluid and pressurized the bleeder... it didn't keep pressure, and kept dropping - I pressurized again, and it kept dropping, until bubbles came out into the line and I ran out of fluid in the bottle! If there was no fluid in the bottle, where did it go? All over my floor is the answer...

There is a little tube sticking out of my floor under the trunk where ALL the brake fluid was forced out - thankfully I started this as a 'test' with my crappy regular dot4 fluid and not my ATE blue. Anyways, why didn't I hold pressure, and why did it come out of 'that' tube...?

anyone else tried bleeding brakes with one of these? Is there some kind of pressure release valve?

also, couldn't get my brake hoses off, even with PB blaster. Gave them a good soak, and will probably do so for a few months. Hopefully they'll come off someday...

'89 964 C4
'83 308 GTS QV
'88 928 S4
Old 09-13-2003, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Before you pressure the system you have to pinch off the plastic overflow tube on the side of the brake fluid reservoir. Mine is so old & hard I just disconnect it & use a vacuum cap to seal it with since it cannot be "pinched." Works great!
P.S. I think everyone has made the same mistake.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Doh!

OMG - can't believe I didn't see that... thanks!

'89 964 C4
'83 308 GTS QV
'88 928 S4
Old 09-14-2003, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Just did the same thing, couldn't understand why I could hear hissing air and the tyre I'm using for the air source emptied in a couple of minutes. Scared the c**p out of me when I saw brake fluid dripping off of the master cylinder, I'm assuming the overflow runs to just above it!
Wish I had read this thread first!
Is there anything that got covered in brake fluid near the master cylinder that can get damaged by the brake fluid?
Cheers
Bill
Old 03-06-2015, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jennings View Post
Is there anything that got covered in brake fluid near the master cylinder that can get damaged by the brake fluid?
Paint!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Bleeding Brakes

It matters which direction the bleeder valves are pointed. I seem to recall they need to be pointing out/up but that would need to be double-checked. I gave up and let the shop do it. RC

Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: