Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
just a note to try and help you with the welding so as to make it as strong as it can be.

in an ideal world for the fender work like that you would use a tig welder, but with the mig is ok. I would look to turn down the feed abit and get abit more penertration. Try a test bit and see what I mean. Make a note of what you have the settings at the moment and just down on the wire feed a tiny bit, up on the amps. Also clean clean clean the metal and the earth strap. Really get that metal clean even wipe it over with a damp cloth with tinners on it. this will remove the grease if any is left. ( wait till it evaportates ) to weld. Then run a file on the earth strap each time you use it, Also change the tip on the mig welder as most people buy a tip and leave it on there for years!!! change it every week or so if doing big jobs, pro's change daily!!

Also try and keep the weld on a tiny bit longer and neater.

I hate saying about welding I am ONLY trying to help improve your skills so you can make an even better job that you are already doing which is great !! and your doing fab just when you try and help men with their welding it's almost like stating about your bedroom skills. Some people get all upset !!

Please don't do that it's all about helping it other out. ( Welding wise, with regarding bedroom skills your on your own on that one bud :-) )

keep it up... the welding
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
oh forgot to mention with the test bit flip it over and you will see great steady penatration on the reverse that's what your aiming for..

Oh and I was talking about the test bits being two bits touching each other and do a weld up the gap ( but the gap will be tiny as you should always have the metal touching never really use the welder to make up huge gaps unless your plug welding holes
Old 08-14-2009, 01:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
I will take any advise I can get. Welding is not easy. I thought this one went pretty well. But I didn't clean the metal as good as I could I have never filed my ground but my tip is pretty new.

I started taking the paint off the fender today and found some unwanted news.

Pictures are not loading I will try later

In short the front around the lt bucket looks like swiss cheese. I will be coughing up body filler for a week. there was a 1/4 of an inch in some places.

Thanks for the advise I will keep plugging at it maybe someday she will be done.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Welding when done right is easy it's welding to thin air that is difficult.

It's all about setting up and making your work as confortable as possible to do then you get a great job.

I find resting the tourch in my glove and keeping the movement very small and neat. will result in nice welds, also when you weld like that. You need to do a pulse like action. So you arc up to get a pool going and swtich off, As it cools you move atiny bit over and catch it again but the idea is to mix the cooling pool and your new pool at the same time. This is abit tricky as it can with weak metal blow though, dont worry about that let it cool and then fill the hole with new weld when it cools.

I think people make a rushed decsion to " I must quickly fill the hole and then the next thing you have a 1" hole from no where..remember a gas tourch works on getting a hot spot cherry red and then it will cut so if you have a cherry red thin patch of metal and you keep adding to it it will just melt.. just stop let it cool and then plug weld it..

I also do a tiny little flick into the old pool of weld with the new to push it forward. Very small amounts then you know you have good peneration, it's very difficult to explain over the net with words..just comes natural now been doing welding since I was 17 ( that long, I do feel old now.. ) Ali welding, arc, mig tig, gas even plastic welding that was fun.. I used to also weld water and gas pipes.. even underground that was rear end clenching at times

your doing a great job, just take each section at a time. if you look at the whole lot it's just too much..

I know what you mean about bondo any see a man with Popie arms in Fresno then he prob was the guy who mixed the whole of my Pre A with bondo rather than get a hammer out !! how much bondo boy!!! he must have used 20kgs of the stuff!!!
Old 08-15-2009, 05:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
I have found that some of what you explained I have figured out just by trial and error. This will help me alot I will refer to your post thanks some great advise.

lets see if the pictures will load

still nothing.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
no worries, just keep at it.. I must get out and do my project some time.. just no time at the mo with 2 jobs and doing about 70+ hours a week with out traveling added in at least it will top the bank up..

I will show you some of what I have done on the 356. As the 912's are all done now and you can't see any of what I have done.

As I grind back the weld, then use a flap disc with 80 grit then 120 and then I polish the metal ( polsihing wheel steel on steel ) then the weld is totaly gone!! just looks like the metal has never been welded..
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I striped all 5 or 6 layers of primer, filler and paint from the front fenders. They need a lot of work

Not sure where to start.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 08-19-2009, 05:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Jerry,

Nice work. I'm doing the same thing as you, though my car is proabably not as rough. Good for you, tackling a job like this take some courage. Most people would have sold or parted it out. Gland to see you're keeping it on the road.

Ron
68 912 Targa (project/driver)
71 911T (project), 76 911 GTL-to-be, 86 944 spec racer
Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

I'm a builder at heart and enjoy resto threads. This is one of the better ones for sure because as others have said, most people would have cut it up and parted it out. Your doing a great job!

Dion
2009 Subaru Forester
Old 08-22-2009, 05:21 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
I really appreciate everyone encouragement. It's great to know there are others that share the passion for these great cars.

I started striping the paint off the hood today. My plan is to work on the hood and fenders as a group before striping the paint off the rest of the car.

Hood

The silver basically scrapped off with a puddy knife.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Just a few picture of some bare metal. At first I didn't what to strip the paint afraid of the unknown. But seeing the bare metal is amazing it's beautiful. Check it out

I have learned a lot by striping the paint off. Mostly how good the factor paint and primer is. All the other 5 or 6 layers of paint peeled off but the original paint I had to grind off with a paint remover wheel.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 09-04-2009, 05:33 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
More fabrication work I have cut out the bad metal from the rt front fender and made a new piece to fit. Pretty happy with the results.

giving the metal a chance to cool before the next set of spot welds. I'll post some more pics when I am finished.
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
In SWB we trust

Great progress!!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Finished up the rt front fender for know. It was about 1/2 of and inch crushed in at the top of the lt bucket and a 1/2 to the rt. I think I got it pretty close.

Before

After

02 Tundra 4x4
Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Jerry,

Great work man, I really need to jump back into my '67 912 2.0 T4 project soon. I see you are over in Bakersfield.. if I head out to the German Auto Fest that first weekend in October, maybe I could stop by your shop and take a look

Brian
www.9magazine.com
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
That would be great just email or pm me
Thanks Jerry
Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Removed door frame today after getting all the hidden screws. You do not have to take the wing window out. After frame was loose the back would not come out of the door. The frame has a plate that hangs up when trying to remove I had to bend the door a little to get the frame out. check it out

02 Tundra 4x4
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
This is a day I have been waiting for a long time. I got the replacement door latch panels today. This puts me one step closer to finishing the baby.

02 Tundra 4x4
Old 09-21-2009, 08:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Just a update almost finished striping the paint. Final test fitting of fenders for gaps getting ready for filler and primer. A few thing that need to be done, finish door seals and finish striping bumpers

Last weekend we went to car show in ventura and I found a great set of seats at the swap meet. They came with the seat adapters also. A great find. They look blue but they are black.

02 Tundra 4x4
Old 10-11-2009, 04:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Been working on the rocker and door latch on the right side. check it out.

Thanks for looking
02 Tundra 4x4
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: