Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I admire your tenacity. I faced a similar challenge 6 yrs ago with my 67 Bug. Took me 6 mo to work out all the kinks; had to remove engine multiple times, rebuild just about every part that moves. Has been my daily driver since. Good luck, maybe you can help me answer questions for my 68 912 when I get to removing the engine.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
No Problem.. hopefully i can help.
have a few questions. thought i had solved the #3 connecting rod slop, by replacing the worn bearing(s) #3 was shinny and copper in appearance.

took some measurements and weights of all the rods. (a) I-beam thickness and (b) lower rod..
rod 1: a. 19.65mm b. 19.75mm weight: 1lbs 3.4oz.
rod 2: a. 19.72mm b. 19.76mm weight: 1lbs 4.oz.
rod 3: a. 19.14mm b. 19.66mm weight: 1lbs 4.oz.
rod 4: a. 19.67mm b. 19.70mm weight: 1lbs 4.oz.
can you run your engines with these measurements and weights? if you look at the lower rod, 3&4 are thinner than 1&2. using the feeler gauge, i find that once installed onto the crankshaft 3 has tons of slop. or maybe i am facing the inevitable 6-10k rebuild cost NOW!!
my car may sit this summer out. well guess i'll start to search for a set of factory rods..
good day.

Last edited by lamarque912; 05-20-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
Got a rhetorical or a dumb question. could you use gasket/sealing compound on the third piece without the paper gasket? in a few months i will remove/disassemble the engine again. i find tearing down the engine and inspecting the internals fascinating or maybe i am just overly insane.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Garage
What a learning experience. after receiving the rings, got the cans over the pistons, i did not realize that no gap was a bad thing. so, i reassembled the engine, lifted the engine into the body. hooked up the electrics. was very hard on the battery, a few turns is all a got out of it. took it out again. set the proper gap. someone on 912bbs.org mentioned that my dizzy was out 180 degrees. i tripped both carbs. put her back together again. set timing. she came to life. alright. that felt good.. then i noticed an oil leak... well here we go again.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
After weeks of sitting idle. work allowed virtually, no time to spend on the 912, 20-30minutes here and there. re-tweaking the carbs, could not get the car to run no more than 5-10min, let it sit over night, she would start up, then stall. so, thought maybe check the valve clearances. i finally found the culprit. the gas tank, the filter was clogged. cleared it. started again, while reset timing notice the distributor bracket was not secure. looked fine no space between the two halves. wrenched them down as tight as i could to prevent rotation. adjusted idle and needle screws. ran awesome. still minor popping through carbs and subtle pop out exhaust.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
oh, i cheaped out on gasket sealer, selected autozone pro racing gasket maker. i will never do that again.. had to remove/disassemble the engine again..
no leaks so far. folks on PP and 912bbs recommended 574 and curil.
and yes the paper gasket is needed.
does anyone know where to purchase third piece gasket only?

Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
this morning damn thing would not crank over. had to reset all carb adjustments back to factory specs. readjusted timing. recharged battery.. then she came to life again. passenger side forward throat on carburetor is out of sync with the others 4 points. then i realized that cylinder sustained the most damage from the years of sitting in a garage. okay, i will replace the cans soon.. mean while i did manage to get the car to run better than expected. new rings and used cam gear appear to work well. had power and no hesitation. took a couple of friends out for a spin. they where pretty impressed with the get up and go of such a tiny car with a small engine. dropping them off, i decided McDonald's was in order, while in the drive throuh a little kid was in his father arms. he tapped his dad on the shoulder and pointed, look daddy.. so cute.. anyway, high idle 1100-1300 rpms then slowly settles around 790-920 rpms.
more fiddling to come..
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
took some time away from the 912. this thing can make you want to slap a for sale sticker on it and kick the thing to the curb.. after three days of chasing this erratic idle. picked up some points, reused my condenser.. still not much of a change.. I decided to disassemble the distributor. sprayed the cast iron with carburetor cleaner. things looked fine. dried the parts, sprayed with a lithium grease. put it back together.. attempted the static test. NO spark. then i noticed the brass connector from the condenser made contact with the cast iron body of dizzy. fixed it.. drove it..drove it fast.. hit the freeway.. it was a nice feeling.. it still had a bit of accelerator lag.. think i will adjust the accel pump tomorrow.. the smile returned
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Project Addicted

Driving always makes you feel better after what can end up being hours of fiddling. The object is to drive more then you fiddle. That's the plan anyway!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
The Love was short lived.. Next day, erratic idling. using a digital timing light, i noticed the the read out would go blank. almost like no spark for that brief moment. i disassembled the distributer,figured I'd clean out the gunk at the bottom, cleaned and apply new grease (i used a di-electric grease) put it back together, reset the points (points had minor pitting, light sand). Drove great for twenty minutes. stumbled the rest of the way home.. adjusted the accelerator pumps. no improvement. Thought the carbs could use a good cleaning and checked out the float level .25" low driver and .375" on the passenger. also, noticed debris in float bowls (why so much rust, with the filter in place. should i run two) anyway, took both apart, forced air into every orifice. put them back together, installed. No Change.. Has to be electrical.. cleaned all connections, no change. replace the condenser.. came to life, the rpms held steady.. drove fantastic. still need to set Accel pumps.. but runs much better.
one thing passenger side carburetor, forward throat seems to be way out of sync with the other three.. any ideas?

Last edited by lamarque912; 09-11-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: part correction
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

Garage
Oh No!

Out for parts pick up, in the P912.. my van had some issues.. returning with proper tools to repair the van..
Then this crack, pow, smoke, no power..
Yep, i blew the engine..
Can these be patched?
Dumb questions.. so i guess i'll keep it, maybe convert into a coffee table...
Well, i guess that means a long winter project..

major blood lose....
Old 11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
Gas Huffer

Garage
I may have this same sort of problem. #1 cyl compression is also low in mine (90lbs) while others are 120+. Hope I don't have to pull the engine soon, though Im debating about putting Subaru STi motor in...

More info on engine, what happened? Pics?

Last edited by MichiganMike; 11-20-2012 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: didnt read all posts...
Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Its been awhile since my last post.. so many things have happened that demanded that I shelve the P912 for bit. Finally tore into it this afternoon. I debated if I should hold off until I shipped it to Texas.. But as plans go.. yeah that one went down the path of so many other plans. Anyway, here is what I have. One completely decimated 616 engine case, camshaft, one cam follower, one connecting rod, one bent push rod, one destroyed P&S and the boomerang hook....
I purchased two engine cases some moment back thought save the earlier case..(66 & 68) mine was stamped 65' darn should of listen to engine, there were a few noises at 60 plus speeds that I contributed to the belt.. now I know it was the rod or the connecting rod bushing. Notice that the other three rod bushing were tight. number three rod bush had way too much side-to-side movement (fore & aft). thought it would not harm anything.. "WRONG" first class idiot, right over here..

Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Really sad news. I hope you will be able to find the energy to (re)build an engine and get your 912 back on the road. My project was two steps forward and one back - as usual with these old 912's - but yours is much worse.

Well, I think we all had these moments that we thought "it would not harm anything" and drove the car. Yours is just an extreme example of bad luck.

Do some other wok on the car and find a proper replacement for the engine or parts for rebuild. You will be on the road next spring then.

Otto
Old 07-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Otto, Thank you for the encouragement.. some time a NCIS style slap to the back of the head is needed, in moment like this.. you know when this first happened I was afraid to look at the outcome. so, I put the car away.. I knew it was going to be awful. I was laid flat once removed the motor. I saw just how devastation took place, in a matter of seconds.
Thought it was contained to one side. Guess I have learned another valuable lesson and an expensive one.. scratch one more original motor to scrap heap.. hopefully i'll enjoy her come spring.. will post info/pics as it crawls forward..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)

Garage
Long time coming..

Been almost two years since I blew the original motor.. After one year of gather the replacement parts and two weeks of rebuild. She has fired up. Little popping through carbs. Will address soon.. Now just want to get her back on the road..

Question, has anyone installed the Chinese made cylinders (QCS) and piston on there 912? I may have, No.. I have, not sure if or they will last. My intentions are to give it a six months.. I will replace them before I plan to push the car to its limits.. Maybe JE..

But, Now.. I will baby her until that time.

Last edited by lamarque912; 08-28-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights.
Garage
Just enjoying the ride...

You also could pop over to the 912Registry to ask some of these critical questions as well. They would also be willing to interject on thoughts.

Just a friendly bit O info.

Cheers Bugs
2 x 1968 912 projects
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)
Old 09-02-2014, 11:12 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: