Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Just enjoying the ride...

Hey all,
wanted to post a lot of photos of my progress.. thanks to all of you guys for your support and guidance.. still have tons more work to complete.. but, since this is my first attempt at an auto restoration.. i've learned that i can't have all that i desire. due to the economy i have decided not to doa full retoration or a hot road or do a full outlaw here not sure. i want to sit in her and enjoy the nostalgic novelty of the sounds of the past....thanks to PORSCHE.....
and the fans of Dr. Porsche

i do not have any pictures of her when she first arrived in 2009, my computer was stolen so there went many pictures of the process and not to mention, i lost the house & garage in the divorce.... however will keep moving forward... as tight budget allows..

hopefully you guys have some time to view and critique my progress..
thanks.

the Move

2nd storage did not think i'd be leaving her outside that long, it rained . garage did not become available. upon moving here the emergency brake failed and cause some drv side damage

3rd garage fell through had to move her again..

4th home, working o getting a portable garage soon...

thats what cheap primer will do.. rust..

got a lot of repairs to make, however some not too extensive... will take care of them when things have stabilized a bit.

if u look closer u can see there are three large areas in the floor that will need repair and some 1/8" size holes also..

Last edited by lamarque912; 03-06-2011 at 06:23 AM..
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
continued:

front pan will need repair or maybe replacing, overall it appears pretty solid. not sure why the previous owner fabricated these strange attachments.

thought i'd prep for engine removal..

then the breakdown, found a few things.. after inspection thought i could proceed with cleaning and reassemble with new gaskets and other neccessary for a basic rebuild.. just want to get her running without going completely broke. i do realize that this decision could harm my engine.. i will cease all so called progress if there is a significant change in forward movement. alos have a porsche shop not to far for help..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
again

had to strip the underbody while the engine was out.. what fun.. and it is...

working on the calipers , still can't figure out how to release the piston..

fuel sender Hmmmm.... scratching my head..should i replace with new?

had to repair the lights, will probably replace them later..

used nylon string to reinstall old windshield rubber.. will replace when car gets it prep & paint (ivory the original color)

will temporarily cover seats.. later have the reupolystered..

Old 03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
okay too much right?
we have lights....cool...

Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Awesome ! Great progress, it brings back a lot of memories, been there done that more times that I can remember....
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
thanks Raymond, kudos to your fab collection....
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

@ 3 digits

Thank you.........look what I've just found;

Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, gotta say you have the collection.... beautiful work..
what year is the white 912? do you have a few interior pics?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Great job I worked on mine for 3 years before I took my first drive. Now with the new engine it is everything I dreamed of. You will love it. Keep up the progress we are all rooting for you.
2002 Tundra 4x4
Old 03-07-2011, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Enjoy seeing the work of others who have had the guts to tackle projects such as this. Believe me, the results are worth the effort!

Album - Der Lange Weg | Photoshop.com
Old 03-08-2011, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarque912 View Post
Wow, gotta say you have the collection.... beautiful work..
what year is the white 912? do you have a few interior pics?
Thanks, 69' & 67'.......I have this........

Old 03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
What a day finally received the fuel pump rebuild kit. installed it.. no fuel, couldn't figure it out then it hit me.. you idiot, i needed to prime the f-pump. then i noticed that coil was getting warm, actually hot.. i removed it buried it about 3" in the snow until it cooled down.. i guess tomorrow I'll attempt to start it again. got find my timing light.

thank you peter and jerry for the postings.. admire the work that you guys have done.. your pictures inspired me to keep going..

hey peter what caused that fire under the bonnet?

Raymond, looks like your black 912 is race ready. love those seat belts. what with hoses coming off the manifold? how does that work? does it keep the engine cooler?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
just returned from a week vacation. went to Planet hollywood.. saw this 356 hanging from the ceiling.

funny i could not wait to get back.. while i was away i ordered a few parts so they where waiting for me.. picked up front floor pan hardware, I'll need to modify my welder to avoid burning the thin sheet metal and some headlight seals.

finally was able to remove all eight of the caliper pistons and rebuild them... a bit rusty but, with a little elbow grease we made some progress.. could not bleed the brakes, i kind of ran out of brake fluid. get more tomorrow.

also drained the old transmission fluid. remove both plugs for cleaning and inspection. found the lower plug (drain) to be compacted with years of sludge and metal shaving (not good) while draining Trans-fluid kept an eye on the consistency and content. i did notice the pooling to be a bit darker and appeared contaminated think moisture, probably been in the car for at least 10rys. tomorrow I'll run a magnet through it, just to see how much metal it collects.

thank you guys for any feed back or just to tender some advice....

Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Very brave splitting the caliper
Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
brave i dun no... but i assure you it was necessary, i saw that the rubber seal was in terrible condition.. i felt it would be wise to separate the calipers, clean out any contaminates there in, replace the rubber piston seal and wire wheel the pistons.. what a pain to remove those bad things.
well i was able to reinstall the calipers bleed them. I've done brakes before, however not on such an relic of times past as these.. i think I'll need to rebuild the master cylinder. I'll search PP forum for ideas first

also dissembled the bonnet catch, years of dust really clogged the inner workings.
stripped the rear deck hinges too. being back is so awesome.....

Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I rebuilt my master cyclinder and it works fine and very easy. But others do not
recommend it. The hard part will be finding a rebuild kit. Great job
Old 03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
i previously primed the car with a zinc based primer (aerosol can) from the local auto parts store due to the weather, moisture would cover the car, a few days later RUST. there would be tiny rust spots everywhere. thought the zinc primer would prevent this. so i decided to paint it... it's not perfect.. but...
will probably leave the interior primer Grey until that too starts to rust..
maybe i'll just do it... thought it would be less to blast off later.
when my finances improve i will repair the body and strip her down to bare metal.
again..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
912 Geek

Garage
What chassis number? I see it has a three-dial dash and a solid motor mount. Such early cars are becoming rare.

Frank ('65 912, 451326)
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
hey frank the chassis no. is 453002.. also have the COA all numbers match..
Old 03-24-2011, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I guess that old saying of "Idle hands is the Porsche fanatic play ground" er sumpin like that..
today i ripped out the seats, gauges, removed/repainted steering, pedal assembly, cleaned up the glass, spot re-primed visible rust, painted the interior (minus interior roof)
and E-brake/shifter assembly....

gotta say i really enjoy taking her apart and reassembling her. i i hate seeing the rust i think i may need therapy.
at some point i will remove the rockers and rust proof the internal. wish i could afford a zinc dip..or what ever that is called...
any way thank u4 viewing these pages....

Old 03-25-2011, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: