Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
The 911 tech forum point of view. 912's are a unappreciated gem.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/624688-polo-powered-4-cylinder-911-motor-912-a.html

Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Which photo did you want me to upload here? Or wew you talking about the 912registry or some other 912 site. I am not on those. Just Pelican and Early 911S.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
A 1967 912 getting a POLO engine and other upgrades. It's getting close. I don't know how to post pictures. You can see pictures in the cmpski garage. Here is the link.
All the best, Chris

PS- I hope to have it at Rennsport in October. We'll see.

cmpski's Garage :: 1967 Porsche 912

TEC-gt on 2.4 Polo Engine.mov - YouTube
This is a great effort, I have been putting off pulling the trigger on purchasing one of these engines for my Bastard 912 until I finish up another project. I will stay tuned. Again great job!!
2012 Audi A8L
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena
Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Go to the 912 Registry then to their 912 Renegade forum. Make sure you start at the top of the thread. There are a few links.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

wow, the great engine.....for me, it's a very good idea for modified a little 912 for much power....an outlaw....
Congrat's....

JLC
Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Here is a link to the build process.

912 Board - 912 Renegades
Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Video of a Pre A with a POLO engine.

poorshanutt's Channel - YouTube
Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I have never understood why you would want to do this type of engine but I take my hat off to some one who does.

I don't know if it's the cost that puts me off or the fact that for the same money I could get a 911 motor or a very hot type 4

Interesting thread for sure. Good luck with it all I am sure it's going to be a blast..

My current saving plan is for a Twin spark 616 motor so far I have all but the crank, rods I want. 160bhp loads of torque. but changing the plan to go up to 1900cc
Old 09-04-2011, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Marc,

It will save on trying to find those expensive and hard to get 912 engine parts.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
I agree getting 616 parts is becoming a joke I am so glad I didn't lissen to my wife and just bought all the parts I could at the time I didn't have the money

so I have all the parts I need for the twin plugg and the crank will be a non 616 and the rods infact are carrello rods again none 616 parts

P/C will not be Porsche and the disy is going to be in fact Electronic and not mechanical in anyway. it's a shame to bugger up a nice pair of heads 60k genuine miles heads but that's why i wanted them as they are a perfect pair to do the project. Sending them off soon to have the plugs drilled.. ekk!! engine case I have a few of those so I have picked the best one out of the 3.

Crank I have to call Andy Prill up again as had a proto type crank in the making last time I spoke to him at his place designed for twin plugging..

so it's all in all going to be about 4k so far. but that I am sure will rise alot more as I progress !! alot more gulp
Old 09-05-2011, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Marc,

I built a complete new 616 engine. It was not a rebuilt. Every part in the engine was new OEM including the case and the heads. I also replaced everything in the transaxle. Luckily I had a good friend that had most of the parts in his stash bins or knew where to get them. The only things that was rebuilt was the Webers and the Distributor. However, all of the internals (crank, rods, and pistons) are forged. It ended up costing over 16K US. However, it was worth it. I have a car that drove like it just left the factory with only 24K original km. For the last 9 years all I had to do is changed the oil, oil filters, and adjust the carburetors once due to the change of adding alcohol to the gasoline. If you do it right. You will have a engine that will last for years. Unless you have it on the racetrack every weekend. It's only money.

I still have the original engine on the shelf. However, the case has a crack by the oil cooler.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I spoke to Dean Polopolus and Richard Clewett yesterday. They spent the afternoon together playing with and tuning tne 912P car. They seemed to be very pleased with the results. I asked them what the car might need. They said bigger brakes!
I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel again at the end of September.
I hope to show the car in LA on 9-25 before I head up to Cambria,Ca for a 912 event.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
The 912P will be in Excellence this month. The article was done by Randy Wells. You can see his work at Randy Wells : Writer / Director of Photography Automotive, Porsche, Racing and Travel / Video & Music Reviews Seattle. Dean has been driving my car for a couple weeks now. He is really getting to know the car. I think he wants one. He said the car is FAST and really balanced weight wise. He had it up to 110 and said passing others is well, easy. The car could probably go 130+ but the front end I'm guessing would feel very light. I've seen around 100 to 105 so far. I did drive it across Wyoming at 85-95mph for several hours and got 33mpg. I've never driven it at sea level. The lowest I've had the car is 4000 feet in the SLC area. The only current issue is it has a oil leak in the bell housing area so I have to put a pan under it. Dean doesn't have enough time to fix it before Cambria so I'll live with it till I take the car back to him after the event. I'm really looking forward to meeting a bunch of you in Cambria. I'll be in Costa Mesa the evening of the 25th, later that week in Carpinteria,(I might go by North Hollywood Speedo to see Kevin or TRE on the way up), Cambria, Carpinteria and Costa Mesa again before I drive the car back to Dean in Temecula on the 2nd and fly out of San Diego. I'm still working on the San Deigo Airport to Temecula and back a week later part. If you are in the area send me a PM, email me, cpomares@wwdb.org, and I'll tell you where I'll be.
All the best, Chris

PS- I've had several people email about the seat hinges. I'm still working on it. I'll have a website up seeking input soon.

Last edited by cmpski; 09-06-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I thought you might find this interesting. Dyno, engine placement, and a look at a 4 and a 6 in engine bays.

Last edited by cmpski; 09-06-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Old 09-06-2012, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Installed the aluminum seat hinges. They are 7 pounds lighter than factory. For more pictures go here. *Pompolo Design Works - Home page

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/205/articles/less-is-more

Last edited by cmpski; 09-27-2012 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Dean will be sending my engine mount back in about a week. We are going to make a jig for it here in Colorado. After the Excellence article interest has perked up. We will be sending a engine mount and POLO engine to Hong Kong. Doug will be building one in Kansas City. And a 912E is being completed in Europe. That will be 4 so far. This is getting to be great fun.
I hope to have the car at the Phoenix swap in March in LA and the Dana Point 356 event in July. If I have the time we will fabricate custom heat exchanges for the headers between the 2 events.
2013 is looking up.

*Pompolo Design Works - Home page
Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Andy Bullen

Garage
Send a message via AIM to andybullen Send a message via Skype™ to andybullen
I'd love to see that 912E....
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
912E Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by candela View Post
I'd love to see that 912E....
Here you go!
Chris Pomares

912 BBS - 912 Registry Garage
Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Seat Recliners

Pictures of my recliners polished and nickeled or chromed in maybe 3 or 4 weeks. I hope to have them on my car at the Phoenix Swap in March.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pictures of another Polo

More can be found on this 912E POLO at
*Pompolo Design Works - Home Page

Last edited by cmpski; 01-13-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: