Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Just polished

I just picked these up from the polisher. I hope to have pictures next week of the recliners on a just finished black seat. They will be posted at PompoloDesign.com

Old 01-25-2013, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Oh snap ~ those are cool!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Andy Bullen

Garage
Send a message via AIM to andybullen Send a message via Skype™ to andybullen
912E polo

wow.... same color as mine and everything....beautiful!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Recliners on a just finished black seat.

The pins can go out to in or in to out. The aluminum set should be back from anodizing about 2-15.
More photos at *Pompolo Design Works - Home Page
Chris

Last edited by cmpski; 02-08-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
This set is finished

Chromed and listed on ebay.

Last edited by cmpski; 02-08-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
912 rain shield and oil temps

It's been 85 to 95 degrees and 10 to 20% humidity here in the Denver area the last few days. 11% today and 90 degrees. On top of that I have been making runs from 6 to 11000 feet the last 3 or 4 days. Arvada then up I70 and over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park yesterday. Let's see, hot, no moisture in the air, and thin air to cool the oil, cylinders and heads down. The POLO engine has been running 210 to 230 degree oil temps. I took the rain shield off today and ran Coal Creek to Nederland to Boulder to Arvada today. It's a nice 1 hour quick run in the 6 to 9000 foot of elevation range.
The oil temps stayed in the 190 to 210 range the whole time. Heading to Steamboat Springs with a group Saturday. Looks like the rain shield will stay off till the cool of fall or when I run the coast between Carpinteria and Monterey, California.
If you are running a high hp engine and still have the rain shield on, you might try running without it and see what happens.
By the way the next oldest Porsche in the group is a 78 911SC. Most are 2000 and newer cars. As long as they keep it under 140 I'll be OK. I've been to 125 and there was a lot left to go as long as the car doesn't start hovering off the ground. I do love this engine.

Last edited by cmpski; 06-21-2013 at 07:22 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I finally got around to weighing my car today. It came in at 2240 pounds with 3/4 of a tank of fuel. The car with the 616 engine was 2084 pounds dry. If a gallon of fuel weighs 7 pounds or is it 8. I'll use 7 for now, times 12 gallons that's 84. 2240 - 84 = 2156. If I took off the heavy SS stock muffler and put on a light 2 in 1 out M&K, I should be able to get it down to about 2140. So a extra 80 to 100 hp came with a 56 to 72 pound weight penalty depending on what muffler I choose. It appears a Polo engine with a oil tank, 11 qts of oil, hoses, thermostat, rear to front and back oil lines and a front oil cooler splits the difference between a SWB 912 and 911. About 20 to 25 pounds of that weight increase is ahead of the rear axles. That would include the thermostat, rear to front and back oil lines, oil, and the carrera cooler. The cooler the heaviest part is 14 or 15 inches ahead of the front hubs. I have not done anything to lighten this car. If someone was inclined to get weight off this car, they probably could get it down to it's original weight.

I'm trying out some video compression software. Does it work?
http://www.pompolodesign.com/video.html
Last edited by cmpski; Today at 09:28 PM.

Last edited by cmpski; 08-17-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Old 08-17-2013, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
gearhead

I would be more interested to see it corner weighed and see how/if it alters the F/R balance away from the advantage that a 912 starts with.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Name
Bob Fleming

Comment
Chris, could you post this to your site...www.pompolodesign.com

I have a one word exclamation to describe your 4 cylinder car,

Z O W I E E E E E.

Passing me the key to your car on my recent visit to Denver and letting me go for a hooligan drive was outstanding. That engine pulls so strong it is just amazing. The run down the road with the signal intersection under the roadway presented a less than desirable condition with me making the on ramp light - but caught in a low rpm condition in second gear - with a blend lane filled with a truck I just had to put my foot into it.
The gearing and the power that 2.4 engine puts out, yup, zowiee is the best description. It pulled from just below 2000 rpm to well over 6000 in a blink of the eye, sat us back into those wonderful seats and propelled us to a exceedingly unlawful velocity. I really didn't want to back out of the throttle.
Rarely does one get the chance to experience that thrust.

I have to thank you for putting a highlight on what was a truly wonderful experience in Denver... old 911's...great folks, and your hot rod.

Smiled for the rest of the 2000 mile drive, thanks to you.

Bob Fleming
with that old 1964 911.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/624688-polo-powered-4-cylinder-911-motor-912-a-7.html#post7628626
Posted over on 911 tech

Bob compiled a list on all known 1964 911's and just sold his #149 car in Monterrey a week or so ago. He is now restoring a 67S. He was in town inspecting #133 at Vintage Car Works.

Last edited by cmpski; 08-29-2013 at 09:23 PM..
Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Chris,
I can not find the time these days to work on the engine. The last complete year I worked in my new shop.
So in the moment I've a lot of work with some engines because the customers are waiting.
And for the future I've want to build with Deans short block a short version of the Porsche GT3 engine.
If the customer orders are processed I will contact Dean to talk about this project.
Chris when you want to use my photos on your website it is a pleasure for me when you do that.
I've a lot of more photos when I find the time I will send some more.

Bye for now
Ralph

Since the November 2012 Excellence issue (205) on my car, others are showing interest.
http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...1#.UI8bSsXA-uk
Dean called looking for a engine mount. I will have more soon. He has a customer in Hong Kong in the process of building one.
Video - *Pompolo Design Works

Others in the process.

Checking in Chris, how are you doing my friend? Hope your Christmas and New Years were safe and uneventful. I assume Dean is parts assembling as I continue to send him money!?! Haven't spoken to him yet this year. I think I've decided to go carbureted on ours vs injected. What do you think? Also, what (if anything) would you do differently on your build, if doing it over again? Also, how/what do we massage to get more hp out of it? I'm collecting parts for the build, going the way of an RS look but using lots of carbon fibre to keep it as light as possible. We just left calif (SB) today after a weekend visit with fam. It is a beautiful place but we are glad to be in KC. Should be out in CO in the next few weeks and will give you a call to see if you are around. I see you'll be out west in march, I was hoping to go to the lit meet and car show but have a conflict, so hopefully next year. What's new in your world? Doug

912 POLO
Hey Chris,

Hope you are well.
Thought I would drop you a note and let you know I ended up speaking to Dean, great guy, and committing to a Polo build - very excited.
Great to see the continued positive press on your 912, solid inspiration for sure.
Your Brother in Law is close to me, btw, I am just off Irvine between Santiago and Highland.

Kevin

There is another in the progess in Asia.

I just received this from the Netherlands on 9-5-13.
I haven't got the OK to post this article on my site. Hopefully I will. It's on the history of the factory effort to use a 4 cylinder 911 engine in the 912's and why it didn't happen. Great article and nice pictures of my car.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine

Hakse has given me permission to post his article to my site. It's on the history of the 4 cylinder 911 engine. Go to *Pompolo Design Works - Home
scroll down on that page and click on the magazine. Enjoy.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine
Hakse has given me permission to post his article from the Netherlands to my site. It's on the history of the 4 cylinder 911/912 engine. Go to *Pompolo Design Works - Home
scroll down on that page and click on the magazine. Enjoy.
Chris
Old 09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
1967 912 featuring a 2.4L “POLO” motor Bahama Yellow/black | Sloancars

www.PompoloDesign.com

Last edited by cmpski; 09-27-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Old 09-27-2013, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
3 people 1 overseas, and 2 in the US showing interest.

Last edited by cmpski; 10-28-2013 at 07:21 AM..
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The cars is for sale here.

Used Porsches for Sale at Sloan Cars || Porsche 993 Turbo S || Porsche 356 || Porsche 930 Turbo || Porsche 911 || Porsche Speedster || SloanCars.com
Old 10-27-2013, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Asking???? Can't seem to locate an asking price.

Bob
Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
gearhead

I asked a question back in August. Never saw an answer.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You'll have to talk to Richard Sloan for that information. I signed a contract and it's in his hands.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
You'll have to talk to Richard Sloan for that information. I signed a contract and it's in his hands.
I figured you'd never sell that Chris
Is it not out of the ordinary to list vehicles on a website with no asking prices.

All the others seem to. Just asking
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Per are contract I have to stay out of it. I'm in Denver and the car is back east and really for sale. He has had talks, visits, and sent pictures to interested parties here and overseas. As I don't know what he has said and to who, I will stay totally out of this. Go to Richard for that information please. If it sells I'll build another. If not I'll gladly take it back.
Winter is here and snow is on the way. My Colorado canyons were flooded out and the roads destroyed. It will be a year or two before they are back in Porsche shape. It will be 1 to 3 years before the next 912 POLO cars are done. Everything is rebuilt or custom. Mostly original paint and the rest is 15 to 20 years old. This is an incredibly well sorted car. This car has been featured in 2 magazines that I know of and mentioned in several places online. As it is the first and will always be, and I would need to put it away for the next 5 or 6 months anyway. Why not test the waters and see if there is a successful collector out there that would like to own a currently 1 of 1 car and own the first one ever made. I believe this car will be worth a LOT of money some day like some of the other early specials out there. When most of those where built the traditional crowd didn't take those to seriously. This is not a reproduction/tribute car, this is something different all to itself. No SWB stock investment grade 911 or 911S except a 911R could keep up with this car and why risk those cars anyway. It makes 20 more rear wheel hp than a 67S makes gross with much more torque. With engine management it has no flat spots, is docile around town, and has 80 to 100 pounds less weight hanging off the rear end. It looks stock at first glance, handles like no SWB stock 6 cylinder car could and is wickedly fast for a 1967 car.

By the way when Randy Wells drove my car the throttle bodies were balanced at idle but were off at 2500. When I got them balanced the engine was much smoother and a little faster as one bank was mal nourished.

Here is input from others.

Jeff T
x racer, top ax'er, damn fast driver and well known 912 guy in SoCal.
Chris' car is cool, fast and would absolutely dominate the best RGruppe cars around! I like the way the 16x6 wheels look, too. They are very subtle and offer more tire options as the good 15 inch tires disappear. They fit on all SWB cars without modifications.

Other riders and drivers.
Riders and Drivers - *Pompolo Design Works

Dean's new site
Polo Motors

Last edited by cmpski; 10-28-2013 at 06:47 PM..
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: