Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brian69912

Suspected Fuel Flow Deficit

Hello All- I really enjoy the sharing of knowledge through painful experience shown by everyone here. Kindness and passion for excellence mix well here.
Working to enjoy my 912 of 28 yrs, another story, by doing right.
Drained and changed out to fresh (non ethanol) fuel. fresh oil-filter, fresh spark plugs, ignition wires, contact points, cap, rotor, cleaned fuel pump screen (no debris), changed (see through) fuel filter and result is; engine fireseasily, idles well yet when accelerator demand/throttle is activated the engine bogs as if starving for fuel.
The clear fuel filter shows paper filter half immersed in fuel prior to ignition and is dry when engine fires.
I am amazed the engine runs as I can see no fuel whatsoever move through the cartridge. Intend to grab a free loaner fuel test gauge from O'Reilly.
Any obvious knowledge I am not aware? Never had same exp. and have owned this 912 well before my firstborn. Suspect fuel pump draw issues. Thank you, Brian
Old 06-14-2012, 01:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Brian,

The fuel filter near the engine runs dry. It seems to me there is strong suction from the fuel pump but not enough flow from the tank to the engine. To check if the engine runs well, you could feed it from a separate tank/bottle in the back. You drained/changed fuel, but did you also check the fuel screen in the tank, fitted near the tank fuel outlet?

Otto
Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Also: Fire it up, let it idle for a few minutes. Shut it off, remove aircleaners and check that the accelerator pumps are squirting gas into the throttle bores. Double check your timing advance. If you're concerned about fuel pump problems, you can always buy a cheap little Facet pump and wire it to a switch in the engine compartment and use it to prime after long periods of sitting, etc. You can run these pumps inline, before the mechanical pump. I don't know how long your car was sitting, but there's always a chance of dirty gas sitting in the carbs and maybe clogging a jet.
Bill.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: