Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

912 for me?

50 year old car guy. I do all the work myself, besides paint and machine work. Last three cars:

I still have the Healey, but I am ready to move on and will have no problem of finding a new home for it. I have liked the early Porsches since the early 70's and I think I am ready to venture into the marque.

My approach will be to find a car that will be a good rolling restoration. A driver with tired aesthetics would be the target. My goal would be to have a reliable driver and restore the paint and interior. Any advice that you think would assist me would be appreciated.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Advice: Look at all the cars you can. Even the ones that are outside your budget (both higher and lower) will teach you something. Also check out 912 BBS - Welcome to 912BBS for a site dedicated to the 912 movement. There are some good links to what to look for when buying a 912. Also expect something much closer to the Healey than the Cobra or Ford. Good luck with your adventure.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Ruby911

Garage
The 912 will be an entirely diffrent experience than that American iron you have (nice cars by the way). So please go into it knowing that the 912 will be NOTHING like those. I used to drive some higher horsepower cars befor egetting my 912 and I do not miss them a bit. I find I can use every bit of HP the 912 has and it isbug. an absolute blast. I never used all teh hP in teh prior cars except on track days.

Also, if you like to wrench on cars yourself, as I do, the 912 is a great car to feed that.

p.s. keep the Healey and get a 912 - it is beautiful

- Farrell
1965 356C Outlaw
RGruppe #577
Old 07-07-2012, 06:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps it is age, but I prefer driving the Healey more than he others and I understand the 912 will be a much different experience. I've owned Datsun 510's and roadsters in my early driving days, so I can enjoy and appreciate different cars for what the are. Are there commom areas of trouble that are costly, like typical rust spots?

Thanks for the comments on he Healey. I dragged it home from under a tarp deep in a bad neighborhood.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Ruby911

Garage
There are definitely trouble spots when it comes to rust. As John said, go to the 912 registry BBS and you will find more info than you can ever read plus a lot of very nice folks willing to offer guidance.

Here is a link to a lot of good spots for info as well.

Porsche 912 Links

good luck with the search.
1965 356C Outlaw
RGruppe #577
Old 07-07-2012, 06:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I bought my first Porsche in 01, a 69, 912 coupe. Prior the that we had 73 VW rag top, my only experience with air cooled cars back then. I have and have driven a 57 Chevy step-side to work since 76. My teenage years were a 39 Ford coupe with a Buick V8, B&M hydro and a Halibrand rear end, it would turn about a 101 in the quarter.
We now have the 912 and a 63, 356B Coupe. The Porsches have by far been the most interesting cars for me. The level of craftsmanship and technology was years a head of American cars of that era.
The trouble you will find is rust, there was no galvanization used back then so most if not all cars have had, have or will have it. Parts are readily available, the exception being Main Bearings, they can be an issue if you need them. There are several good parts houses, stick with the established ones. Join the 912 Registry, it's a wealth of information, shop the market,there's good cars out there for fair prices.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights.
Garage
Wow! I admittedly must say that the Healey is my ultimate "Dream Car". I keep telling myself......."Someday" My first car was a 71 510 and I just recently sold a 69 Datsun roadster project to a friend. Nothing like a 3000 MKII to brighten your day. Just curious, were you on A.F. Road Friday??? I pasted a dark green AH and was just wondering if it was you?

I agree with the earlier post, KEEP THE HEALEY!!!!! JMHO, I beg you......

Cheers
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hey Bugstrider,what a small world. Yes, I just moved right off of AF road and I drive the car all the time, so certainly it was me.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights.
Garage
I agree, very small world. I was taking a couple of Jet Skis out to Folsom to do test run before selling them on Sunday. I told my wife that I was passed by "my dream" when we met up at Folsom. Too funny that it was you. VERY BEAUTIFUL CAR!!!!!!!!

Well you know my take on the Healey, but good luck what ever path you take. Another good resource to check out is the 912Registry as well. Give it a look, it might help you in your path. I tried to change my handle on this site but I guess someone else has my user-name to I have just kept my original from my bug days.

JT68912 is my title on the 912Registry if you want to take a look.

Cheers,

Trevor
Placerville
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Forgot to tell you, the black and white photos are gorgeous!!!!! The wife loved them too.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey Trevor, thanks for he comments. Car posted on Craigslist this morning link

Perhaps our paths will cross if I go down the 912 path. Cheers.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sent you a PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Looks like I will be Porsche shopping soon. The car got picked up by "bring a trailer" and it was sold by noon. Anyone have a car or sale? Link
Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Looks like I will be Porsche shopping soon. The car got picked up by "bring a trailer" and it was sold by noon. Anyone have a car or sale? Link
Depends on the budget.
My 912 Will go for the right price. But it's in Europe..)-:
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: