Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Dimensions of metal for chassis dolly

Need dimensions for a rolling chassis to take off suspension and get ready for dippers. Thank you. Also most of my wiring was corroded and crumbly. Anybody use a generic hot rod harness like ez wire etc. thanks for your help

Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Is this what you need?

If you need a high resolution version, just let me know.

Otto
Old 06-01-2013, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

That's pretty nice Otto. I've never seen that before just the underneath with chassis dimensions. But what I'm looking for is dolly dimensions that somebody built. Not a rotissere or octissere and high enough that i can work on the rockers. I figure I can use 4x4 or equivalent. Just trying to get some ideas. Thank you for your response
Old 06-01-2013, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

With chassis dimensions and the - very nice! - factory pictures it's quite easy to construct your own. Or am I wrong?

If you can afford a movable scissor lift, you will have the advantage of setting the height of the car at a comfortable working level. Perhaps a used one for a fair price? Of course, moving around with the body on the lift is not that easy as with dolly.

Otto
Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That's my issue mobility. Scissor would be ideal. But not feasible with my limited space. I found some heavy duty casters at harbor freight and some wood. Hopefully i can construct it this weekend. Thank you all for your help.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It's funny but looking at those factory pics the paint looks beautiful. I don't see any orange peel. Like people say how they came from the factory. Strange
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

And without PhotoShop in the '60s ...

The original paint on my '68 cocoa brown had no orange peel at all. At that time, these paints with the synthetic solvents gave a much brighter result than the modern waterbased/ waterborne paints. Besides that, I think all cars where polished to remove imperfections before they left the factory.

Otto
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

As always your a vessel of knowledge. I sure wish there were more people like you around these parts. I'd hang out for awhile. I would bring the rum though haha
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

As Otto has said. The Porsche factory worker were craftsman in those days. The cars were hand built and painted and they took pride in their work. The paint had a richer quality than today's - especially European paint. The difference is like oil and acrylic paints. The oil is rich in color where as the acrylic paints are much brighter. There is nothing as rich as 30 coats of hand rub lacquer or even a bake enamel paint. We lost a lot when we had to go to the water base acrylic paints. Even though it is safer for our environment.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Apriliaguy, Jaems,

The years have filled the vessel and now it's time to share something of its contents. Just an example of how it was filled: Some 15 years ago, when I started the Porsche hobby, I was Lucky to meet a real skilled old skool mechanic and metal worker. A little over weighted old man in his 60's, big moustache and never without a cigar and his German shepard at his side. He teached me how to spot weld and how to use lead in stead of epoxy filler. He teached me how to make the body parts that are not available in the catalogs from the parts sellers, he teached about paint and how to apply it. I said paint, not waterborn paint! As an electronic engineer I spend hours and hours learning from him. During the past 15 years with these olds 911/912's I learned a lot. Indeed a vessel of knowledge and experience. What is nicer than pass it through to people with the same goal: keeping these unique 912's on the road.

Otto

BTW Apriliaguy, you're welcome, also without the rum.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Otto, like you over the years, I have been blessed with friends that were very knowledgeable about cars both body, engines and etc. When it came to Porsches, I have one that I have been lucky to know for many years. As a youth Walt, back in the very early 60's, was trained by the factory. He worked at a dealership in the East and then decided to move to Southern California. Where he worked for a couple of the Dealerships. This where he meet Gary Emory of 356 Outlaw and Parts Obsolete fame. (Gary's father was a well know Hot Rod customizer in the 50's)

When the 911's first came out. Gray said that Walt would check the 911 manuals out and take them home and study them. The other Mechanics in the shop didn't want to work on them.

So during the Golden era of Porsche, in the US, Walt was building engines for some of the big names and major Porsche racing teams on the West Coast. When Walt was building a engine or anything mechanically it was like being in surgery. Everything is absolutely perfectly clean almost sterile. Walt is a Craftsman when it come to the mechanics on a Porsches.

So when you talk engines, suspensions, and Porsche racing with Walt. He will normally tell you more than most people will want to hear. Where some Porsche mechanics try to keep their special secrets, not Walt. When I can not remember something or don't seem to know it. I Always refer to Walt. I think Otto you might really find him interesting.

The real sad thing is that most of these old time Porsche craftsman are passing a way and since most of the young folks today are not interested in taking the time in learning to do it the right way. The knowledge is going with them.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Jaems,

As you say: "The knowledge is going with them" I just add: "And then we have to invent the wheel again".

People as Walt are of so much value. A value that is recognized as soon as they are not among us anymore. One of the advantages of the internet is that a lot of it this knowledge is stored somewhere. We just have to find it ...

One of the reasons that I take part her on the Pelican forum is that members - in general - share their knowledge easier than here in Europe. Lots of questions on forums are answered with: "I've sent you a PM" as if no one else would be interested in the solution of a specific problem. This mentality is historically and cultural based, I think, and even differs among the European coutries.

For me it's 1+1=2 - a couple is stronger than two individuals. I indeed have some knowledge and skills gathered during the past years and have fun sharing it, because of all thes guys sharing their knowledge and skills with me.

I'm waiting for the first internet controlled engine transplant or interactive transmission or carb rebuild. These clinics would be so usefull for many of us. The Pelican Video Board for interactive Porsche 912 maintenance!

Otto
Old 06-08-2013, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

High res

Hi Otto,

This is Bao. Any chance i can request a high resolution for the graphic?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Drawing for the bench.

The fixtures I made up using an old front suspension crossmember welded to a 2x4 box section and bolted to the front of the bench. Under the center section of the floor I just lay 2x2 steel box across since that area is level.

The 2 rear fixtures (suspension, and under trunk floor) I made up as I went. Really easy to build the bench.

Will hold the weight of an entire chassis assembled. Has been copied many times for 914's and 911's with huge success/ Great for long term restoration and panel replacement.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible"
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Jeff,

That's a solid dolly! Great idea to use the crossmember. Why did you just support the rear in stead of bolting it to the dolly to get a more rigid unit.Or did I overlook something? Then I have to apologize.

Specifically when working on the body - rocker panels - of a 914 or a 911/912 Targa a correct alignment is of great importance.

Otto
Old 06-18-2013, 01:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Its a long story.

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

The rear is lightly tack welded at the rear crossmember and the suspension mounts. Since the center section is flat the 2x2's just lay under the rockers flanges and can be removed for floor pan work. The tub was very rusty and I did not want to turn this into a restoration. Its still in process due to some life delays. Just a race car project with some unique modifications.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it is vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible"
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Res Graphic

Otto,
I would like to request a hi-res copy of the chassis drawing as well. Can you tell me what year range it is for? I will be building something for my 71 911T. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Otto,
Can I request for a hi-res copy as well? Is drawing dimension a SWB or LWB?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Otto

This is just what I am looking for
Any chance for a hi res picture/pdf ?

Thanks in advance

74 3.0 RS Clone Sold.
71 914-6 Clone Sold
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: