Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
Vented or solid? Cross-drilled or not?

Then which pads?

Also putting together a "roadside" kit of extra parts as things fail on the 912:
  • gen pulley
  • gen nut
  • gen belt
  • extra shims
  • accelerator link
  • duct tape
  • anything I am missing?
Choices for rotors are solid unless you want to do a lot of work to fit different calipers (another thread's worth of discussion). Pads: your choice; I like Ferrodo and keep Textar in stock.

My 'in the car' list (in the car all the time)
  • Oil (Valvoline VR-1 20W-50, 2 qts)
  • Generator pulley (both halves, hub, extra shims)
  • Generator Belt
  • Ignition tune-up (points, condensor, rotor, cap, spark plugs)
  • Electrical tape, 25' 14 gauge 2-wire speaker wire, electrical crimp connectors
  • Fuel line, clamps (3', x4 clamps)
  • assortment screws, bolts ,washers, nuts
  • assortment fuses
  • safety wire, nylon wire ties (you could have patched your accel link with either)
  • Valve cover gaskets (2)
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Rain gear (old golf jacket, pants)
  • Tools (good cheap selection from home improvement store)
  • Tire gauge
  • old golf towel, roll of paper towels (in ziplock bag), duct tape (in ziplock)
  • 12' nylon web strap (for emergency towing, pulling; in ziplock)
  • LED flashlight
  • Reading glasses (cheap drugstore type)

For long trips:
  • Oil, 4 additional qts
  • First aid kit
  • complete ignition system (coil, distributor, hi-tension wires)
  • Complete rocker shaft assembly
  • Generator regulator
  • Fuel Pump
  • Sealants, aerosol brake cleaner, Loctite blue hi-temp
  • Grease gun (for ER poly bronze suspension bushings)
  • Small bottle brake fluid
  • 1 qt transaxle grease
  • Rain-X window cleaner
  • Large torque wrench with soft socket for alloy lug nuts
  • Valve adjustment specialty tools (Stubby screwdriver, handled 0.004/0.006 feeler gauges, 13mm long combo wrench)
  • 1/2" drive ratchet with 1/2 to 3/4 adapter, 36mm socket for gen pulley nut
  • Timing gun
  • Dwell/RPM/Electrical meter
  • Carb sync tool (Motometer or equivalent: what ever works best on your carb type)
  • Large 5 mil trash bags (2)
  • Energy bars, gum, bottles of water

There are probably things I've forgotten; I would have to go through the travel bags... Here's a photo of what it looks like (before 1st cross-country trip), minus the case of wine. of course.

Peter

Last edited by Peter Graham; 09-04-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Old 09-04-2014, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Love it!

May have to follow your lead...

Thanks again!

-B

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Registered

I've always been a big fan of the vintage Pegasus as well:
Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Kaizer, I purchased a red 1968 912 last Winter and have spent the Spring and Summer getting up to speed on the car. I has been a fun project and fortunately I have been able to get the car to run pretty good, the compression is borderline and it uses some oil but runs good. I am planning to pull the engine and rebuild this Fall and Winter.

Just went through an issue with the Voltage regulator which I replaced along with the brushes in the generator.

The Wife and I are taking some time off this week to drive it up to the San Juan Islands this week, hopefully everything will hold together, guess I better go check that throttle linkage.

Good luck with the car and hope you have as much fun as I am having with mine.

Last edited by Off Watch; 09-07-2014 at 02:12 PM..
Old 09-07-2014, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
I've always been a big fan of the vintage Pegasus as well:
Wow!

Love the red mobil decal against the gray along with the Talbot and plaid seats!!

Looks amazing!

I'm just having a blast this summer cruising around town with my wife and daughter.

Trying not to venture too far from home until I am certain most all the "old parts" are checked or replaced.

"Off Watch", If you don't have the time to pick a throttle link, some wire would've done the trick in a pinch.

Lemme tell you, no throttle in the middle of a 4 lane road at 10pm was not fun...

Enjoy the drive up from Vancouver!

Also been kicking around a nicer, well done repaint since I need to repair some rust repair under the battery tray this winter anyway.

I like the original color: #6808 burgundy red, even though it's now more of a metallic ruby red, which I like as well. but neither would have been my first color choices.

I have plans to pick up a few more cars while I am around, so I am trying to plan it out to keep them diverse otherwise everything would be silver. =)

Color suggestions?

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 09-07-2014 at 08:47 PM..
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Spent some time trying to lower the front end to OEM Euro height.

Driver's side dropped just fine, but the Passenger side won't drop.

Going to jack the car up to further inspect the torsion bar.

Thinking it's just stuck due to age or I may need to rotate to adjust the spline setting.

Also replaced carb gaskets then tried to adjust the carbs by way of the Idle Mixture screws.

Not a good idea - I quickly discovered how sensitive these carbs are.

Now I have a groggy motor - need to figure out how to get those back in line.

Any tips on Weber 40 IDF tuning?

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 09-15-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Spent some time playing with my Weber carbs also, wasted a lot of time until I adjusted the valves first.

Get a Weber carb flow meter to sync the carbs, then look on You tube for videos on syncing Weber 40 carbs , take your time and go slow, oh and also adjust the valves first.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Watch View Post

Get a Weber carb flow meter to sync the carbs, then look on You tube for videos on syncing Weber 40 carbs , take your time and go slow, oh and also adjust the valves first.
thx again!

Just ordered one - should be here by Friday which should give me time to check the valves...

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)
Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
So the Synchrometer finally arrived.

Gave me time to change the oil and adjust the valves.

Great little tool!

I saw some serious differences between the two carbs and the air coming in.

Nearly double on the passenger side.

I believe the desired amount is about 6-7 kg of air?

As I was testing, it started to sound like a cylinder was misfiring.

I separated the throttle link to further inspect each carb individually and observed little to no gas coming in on the passenger side.

Suspected a clogged jet and spent some time going through both - carb cleaning was way overdue and on the list anyway.

Sure enough- the passenger side jets were plugged - Fuel amounts now appear to be as expected on both sides.

Turned the motor over after reinstalling the carbs and got some loud backfiring.

I believe I read that the adjustment screws are in too far when this happens.

Waiting on some new gaskets, then will reset the screws according to Weber Troubleshooter guide and test again.

May have to visit a good shop after all is said and done if I can't get them back in line.

Still kicking myself for fiddling with the screws to begin with.

May have to take it in for someone who knows Webers more than I do as I ramp up on them.

Anyone know much about the shop "Wagenschmitt" here in Seattle?

Perhaps someone can recommend another place that's better?

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 09-24-2014 at 10:58 PM..
Old 09-24-2014, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Check the venturi's, they should be 32. If they are 28's they for the VW. Most Webers that were purchase in reason years, were setup for the VW. The emulsion tubes, jetting, and etc. may need to be change.

If you can not find anyone in Seattle area that can help with your Webers. There is an old Factory trained Porsche mechanic in Springfield, Oregon. That can help you sort them out. He rebuilt mine in 2003 and they are smooth through corners, on straight aways, up and down mountains and have not needed to be touched since, no backfires or hiccups.

PM if you need his telephone number.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Jaems - I may have to take you up on that offer!

I recently found a video online for Weber factory presets and set all the presets accordingly.

Replaced all gaskets and o-rings and got it turn over, start and run again without backfiring!

Such a nice feeling.

Now back to dialing the carbs in.

Crazy to learn how even a quarter of a turn on the adjustment screws changes things.

Really wanting to get them back inline to take advantage of the last few weeks of dry weather here before the fall rains come.

Once the motor is back inline, I want to move onto the aesthetics.

It's currently "wearing" the 911S front bumper and H4s.

Thinking about putting the weighted stock front bumper back on with the original chrome fat ringed headlights.

Any advantages of the H4s over the earlier stock headlights other than looks?

911S vs Stock front bumper? Are the front weights noticeable when driving?

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 10-01-2014 at 09:38 AM..
Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

The are no weights on a 912. They were used on the 911 because of the heavier engine in the rear. The SWB 912 was just about perfectly balanced, whereas the SWB 911 was tail heavy, that is why they lengthen the 69. If'n the 911S bumper is the original metal. You can get some bucks for it. If it is the fiberglass one, probably not. Just leave it on unless you want a stock bumper.

The H4's will give better lighting.

To sync in the Webers I start on the passenger side, with the linkage disconnected, and balance the rear throat to the front with you meter. Then balance the other side with the same meter readings. Rev it up a couple of times to see if the meter reading stay the same. If not, I just readjust the one or ones that are off. They should all be balance to the rear throat. Balance the idle and adjust the linkage to fit. Rev the engine a few time to make sure that they are still synced and the idle is right. I usually keep my idle higher than the factory recommends for the Solex's, about 1200rpms.

If'n the Webers are sorted out and adjusted correctly. You will have smooth acceleration through all the gears and no hesitation through corners.

Remember to drive it like you stole it and you will enjoy your ride.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
As always thanks!

Looks like I ended up with a 911 front stock bumper in the collection of parts that came with my car.

I'm beginning to think all the parts I got were off a '67 911.

Planning on listing some of the parts for sale to pay for the 912 work.

Will have to further inspect the 911S bumper to determine whether it's OEM or not.

Thanks for the info on the H4's.

The carbs are continuing to give me grief more so the passenger side.

Got it to hold a smoother idle, but it still sounds like cylinder #1 or #2 is missing - one of them cuts out when I try to drive it.

Will double-check the, plugs, valves and points tonight.

I know now that the VW 009 is not right, but hoping it will tide me over until I track down a recurved 009 or better yet an 031.

If that doesn't work, I will be taking the car down to a local Porsche shop and have the motor gone over and tuned up.

I hate having to do this, but I gave it a good shot.

Just been staring at the car parked in the garage for the last 2 weeks of down time - it's killing me not driving it.

Hoping some magic happens tonight after my inspection...

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 10-02-2014 at 09:23 AM..
Old 10-02-2014, 09:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Registered

Damn you robbed someone for that car
Old 10-02-2014, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Great looking '68. You got an unbelievable deal on the car without any extra parts. The parts are just icing on the cake. Here is a picture of my '68 in Burgundy Red (6808).
Randal
1969 Olive 911E Targa (Sold)
Old 10-11-2014, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG68912 View Post
Great looking '68. You got an unbelievable deal on the car without any extra parts. The parts are just icing on the cake. Here is a picture of my '68 in Burgundy Red (6808).
Randal

Thanks Randal!

Beautiful '68 you've got there!

I have to say that your car is the first picture I've seen that really encourages me to repaint my car in the original color!

I believe I figured out the issue with my motor.

It's not the distributor as suspected - confirmed as an 031 Bosch.

I am almost embarrassed to admit this, but the PO had #1 and #2 sparkplug wires swapped at the distributor cap.

I'm embarrassed since I should have seen this obvious issue much sooner.

Oh well, it's these situations that keep us humble.

After cleaning my carbs, swapping plugs, etc. it was still acting off. (At least I got much needed maintenance out of the way.)

No wonder it felt lethargic on the way home after I bought it.

I was beginning to believe what the 911 guys say about our 912's.

My poor car was limping on two cylinders!

The valve adjustment made this error much more obvious.

After the correction, it fired right up and sounded so nice and healthy and much more powerful!

I can't wait to take it out after work tonight!

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 10-13-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Engine is back online and carbs synced. Thanks again for the help!

Playing with the suspension now.

Front first.

Giving this height a once over, before I dial it in.

Then onto the rear.

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)
Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Updates...

Been slammed with work and family as of late.

Finally had some time to focus back on the 912 last night.

Now that the motor is back in line and healthy, I turned my attention to the lighting.

After a brief moment of panic as I feared being rear-ended at a stop light. I am adding a stealthy (.50" x 7") LED COB third tail light with flasher/brightness control module.

Waiting for parts to arrive then will post up pics for those who care to see it.

Also looking to retro mod my extra set of tail lights to accept LED panels for increased brightness as well, while maintaining stock appearance.

Next up are the headlights.

I got two sets with the car.

1 set of OG sugar scoops and 1 set of what I thought are H4's.

Well it turns out that the H4's are actually H1's with H4 lenses!

Still learning about the car, so I had no idea. The M4 x 120mm adjustment screws threw me for a loop until I was able to do more research.

BTW: any thoughts on where to find H1 adjustment screws?

So now I am at a crossroads, replace the stripped long M4 screws on the H1's or install the sugar scoops and save the H1's for post restoration install or buy H4's?

Here's the pic that inspired me to install a third brake light:

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 12-10-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Porsche Nut

Garage
Very nice car and what a great price esp with all the goodies. I too have a 68 912 same color, but it is still in pieces and on the rotisserie. One of the many projects. One thing you have not mentioned, but you probably have tended to is fuel lines. I have seen too many cars burn up bc the owner did think about how old the lines were and drove the car without changing them. The 912 has that T line on the back of the dog house. Be sure to replace them. Cheap insurance. Keep posting. Love to watch the progress.

Here is the link to my build thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodywork-discussion-forum/524957-garage-barn-find.html
Old 12-10-2014, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks the tip on the gas lines! With the long to do list, I overlooked that! Talk about heart breaking!

Thanks for sharing your thread, great inspiration! Coming along beautifully! Amazing attention to detail.

Are you're planning 6808 for the repaint down the road or a color change?

Here's some pics of my H1's and the sugar scoops.

Starting in on restoring the US spec HL.

Thinking I may sell the H1's, install the scoops, then pick up some H4's.

Also had to share this goodie I just found. Popped open the smugglers box and found two tool kits! One for the 912 and one for a 911. Nice little surprise!

Last edited by Kaizer; 12-10-2014 at 11:02 PM..
Old 12-10-2014, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: