Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Purchased a 1968 912... advice welcomed!

Been lurking here a long time, but now have a reason to post.

Forgive my vagueness, but I am sure you'll soon understand.

Intending to purchase a daily driver 1968 912 located nearby- pending my final approval.

I stumbled across the car in my search for an early Split or Oval Beetle.

Everything seems to check out, but the asking price is very tempting at around $5k.

What should I be looking for that could help me avoid a headache down the road?

Should I get a compression test?

Just a bit of rust repair under battery tray and passenger floor.

Both patched but not done the right way.

Its a 5 speed car with 901 gauge cluster.

It drives and shifts just fine - could use a tune up.

Leaks some oil - nothing big.

The motor serial number is not on the generator stand, which makes me think its stamped on the bottom of the block in an alternate spot?

Synchros seem to be functioning as expected.

Power doesnt lag.

ok repaint but needs some loose ends need to be tied up.

I believe it is a SWB car - still learning my early 911/912 data.

My goal would be to complete purchase (while I can afford it), drive it as is & then do a full resto down the road.

Any help/info/advice for this Stuttgart newbie as I migrate from early VW's to Porsche is welcomed!

Thanks all!

Will be sharing pics soon!

Last edited by Kaizer; 08-06-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What to look for? In a word, Rust!

$5k in today's market is really low for a decent driver but if you have to pay someone to do extensive body and/or engine work it will add up in a hurry.

A compression test would be good, a leak down test better. If you have time a PPI by someone who knows these cars would be best.

And yes, a '68 is a short wheelbase. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for your insight - much appreciated!

Will keep you informed!
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

A running, driving 912 for $5k is and absolute steel. Even if it is riddled with rust. '68 is an odd year with lots of one-year only bits. The engine number will be stamped on the third piece just below the generator stand. If original it should start with 128xxxx if it is a US car. A replacement case (3rd piece) would be I stamped which is not all that unusual. If it is rusty, proper repair will add up in a hurry.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A running drivable car, in today's market is a steal. But it would depend on how much rust there is and where in the whole car.

Complete pictures are always the best when asking about a car.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So I bought the car.

Trusted the gut on this one and I think I made the right choice!

The early VW Beetle can wait, for now.

Thanks again for your help!

If anyone knows the name of the color, please let me know.

Cannot wait for the Kardex. =)

Safe at home...

Last edited by Kaizer; 08-06-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I would venture to say it is a repaint. A '68 US car would have side reflectors. The front bumper is also not stock. Headlights are pre-'68. We can tell you the original color if the driver door ID tag is in place. It will have a color code. Looks like a potential great car. If you get a chance, log your cars data in at 912VIN.com - The database for Vehicle Indentification Numbers ( VIN ) of the Porsche 912..
Cool find! Have fun.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks John!

I grew up in my Dad's 1970 911T Targa, looking forward to making the same memories with my kids and passing on the respect these early cars deserve.

Definitely been repainted but the door jams seem to be original.

Will look at it further tonight to determine details.

I received the original '68 912 stock parts (front bumper, fenders, etc.)

Goal is to put it back close to the way it was.

Last edited by Kaizer; 08-06-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I would just drive it for a while. The Winters are for restoring.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

The more I look at your picture, the more I want to say I've seen that car before. Any updates with more pictures?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT912 View Post
The more I look at your picture, the more I want to say I've seen that car before. Any updates with more pictures?
Prior to my purchase, the car was stored majority of the time and only driven in the summer locally.

Previous owner said he did about 2k miles total in the 13 years he owned it.

Prior to that, it sat parked for years in the garage of the original owner.

I believe I am the third owner.

Been doing all the research I can to learn more about it's history and original options.

Drives fine - but desperately needs new plugs. The Webers could probably benefit from a rebuild and the usual engine adjustments/tuning.

It also has what appears to be a stock? push button start. (turn the key to the right, listen for the gas pump, then a push start button located just to the right of the ignition) I can share pics soon.

I haven't seen this before, but most of my experience on an early Porsche is with a 1970 911T.

Trying to also locate a good shop in the Seattle area, so please feel free to add your thoughts.

As it sat when I inquired about it:

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 08-08-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Judging by the pictures, it looks like a reasonably nice car. I am sure someone will mention that if you have an 009 distributor, there are better options for you which should improve the performance of your engine. The push button start deal was not something offered. Interesting idea though. Modifications like this pop up frequently. I once looked at a 912 that the owner had installed some type of cruise control. He said it worked fine. Looked sketchy to me.
If you haven't replaced the fuel filter and put fresh gas in it, you might see some benefit to doing that. There are lots of little maintenance things that can help a car that has been sitting awhile.
Any luck locating the ID tag on the driver hinge pillar?
Old 08-08-2014, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thought you'd get a kick out of the push button start.

Not sure how I feel about it, but kinda fun. Looks to have been done in the 70's.

I am more of an OEM when it comes to Porsche.

Got a look at the door plate finally.

68-6808-G

Originally Burgundy Red.

Looks to be closer to Polo Red now with the older repaint.

Which distributor is recommended for an upgrade?

Any books that one would recommend?

Lastly, what about lead additive for the gasoline? One brand over another?

Thanks!

-Billy

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The 68 engine has been replaced and the all of the 68 smog garbage is gone. The Webers replaced the split shaft Solex's. However, the Webers are really good if you can sort them out. They will be different than those on a VW. The Venturies are 32 instead of the 28 that VW uses, The jetting, air, and etc. will be different depending on your cam. Just don't get too frustrated while sorting the Webers out. They are exceptionally great carburetors and very smooth.

The last three numbers, in the part #, on the Distributor will tell you what distributor you have. The 009 was for a VW and the curve is wrong for a 912 engine. The correct distributors for a 912 will be the 022 (original for early 912's) , the 061(original to the 68 912 with smog), the 031 (versions 1 and 2 the best for a 912 engine versions 3 not made in Germany), a replacement is the RS0012 ( a recurved 009 that fit the 912 engine very well). The 022 and 031 are very expensive and may be hard to find. The RS0012 are much cheaper and cheaper still if you have a 009 for a core.

The coil maybe a early Bosch that may have to be replaced. Most are using the Bosch Blue coil. It looks like you have a over abundance of fuel filters. The air filters for the carbs may need replacement or at least really cleaned up. If there is stacks on the Webers, remove them. For normal driving they are more harm than good, and are only good for very high sustain RPMS in racing. This info is/was from Weber.

When you tune this engine and before you adjust the carbs. You will need to adjust the valves. This is very critical on a 912 engine. You should check them every time you change oil and filter. Since you live in Seattle 20/50wt is fine or 30wt in the Summer. The Fram C3P was once the original oil filter for the 912's and is still available or ordered locally.

The instruments should be black with white letters and five of them. Since you have a 911 type oil pressure and temp gauge combo, that is better than just the idiot light. The 68 door panels will be different than the earlier 912s and the 69 912. It also looks like you have the earlier version of the 68. In the middle of the 68 model year about Dec. They made some more changes to this model, a couple like the grill and door handles. You can enjoy finding out what those changes were and if you still have them.

There are a couple of books that will help you will the car:

The Porsche 912 Hand book.
The 911 & 912 Porsche, A restorer's guide to Authenticity.

Remember just because the engine looks like a Type 1 VW. It is not a VW and none of the VW adjustments will work on the 912 engine. There is also a 912 Registry web site and 912 BBS that can be very helpful with this car.

Just drive it like you stoled it and enjoy.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thank-you Jaems!!

Amazing info - Exactly what I needed - really appreciate your time and insight.

Everyone has been very helpful.

Spent most of the day yesterday cleaning, vacuuming and inspecting.

Have a list of to do's going in order of importance.

I am also taking inventory of the additional parts I got with the car.

I pretty much have two or three of everything - trying to determine what I should keep and what should be sold off to pay for upgrades.

Just joined the PCA - PNW region and I can't wait to bring the 912 out to some events!

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
updated pics of car and extra parts.

digging into the motor this week - new parts on order.

will update accordingly.

Thanks!

Current dash set up:

Extra gauges:

Cleaned up exterior:

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 08-11-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The 911 oil temp/pressure and gas gauges are nice to have. You will have to change the sending unit for the oil pressure is all. It will be a two poster, one post for the idiot light and one for the oil pressure. VDO can change the clocks works for a quartz movement, if neither of the clocks work.

Thought the starter button is not original to the car. It doesn't look out of place. The starter was probably having the usual old Porsche starter wiring problems. Instead of installing a relay to boost the current. They opt to install a starter button and a new wire to the starter.

If there is no major hidden rust problems. You have just stolen yourself a 912.

Other than showing your car off and doing some driving events. Don't get too frustrated if some of the PCA member kind of snub you. They are gear more to the 911, 356's, and newer Porsches (we have all gone through it. They are much better today than they were 20-40 years ago). The 912 Registry will be more gear to your interest in the 912. Besides here, Pelican, the 912 BBS (free to join) is really loaded with 912 info. Many of the members have restored 912's and have own them for years. They are really 912 fanatics.

Last edited by Jaems; 08-11-2014 at 08:21 AM..
Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

[QUOTE=JT912;8204838]Judging by the pictures, it looks like a reasonably nice car.

... I think he hit the ball out of the park for $5K. Wish I'd been first in line on that one.
'74 911S Coup
'69 912 Coup
Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Blessed to be a the right place at the right time.

Having a lot of fun digging into the engine.

Doing a lot of updates... new plugs, fresh oil, filters, etc.

Bosch blue coil on the way too.

I need to get the VW Bosch 009 out and a proper distributor in it's place.

A rebuilt Bosch 031 is preferred, but I wanted to look at the RSR0012, but have a hard time locating where to buy one.

CSP doesn't have them on their site - not sure if they are still selling them.

Any thoughts on where I can pick one up?

Thanks!
Billy

'70 911T Targa (sold)
'77 VW Bus (sold)

Last edited by Kaizer; 08-13-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Benton Performance, LLC

John is the designer RS0012 and was the supplier for CSP.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: