Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Skype™ to CortneyJay
Question Special Tools / Items Needed for '68 912 Engine Rebuild

So I have a Porsche 1968 912 that I'm looking to rebuild the motor on. I've got decent mechanic skills. I've swapped a couple of motors with friends, rebuilt some single cyclinder engines and have a basic foundation to work on. I have a basic set of tools. Not much on the specialized side. I've dropped the motor a few months ago and finally have the time (and money!) to get back at this.

Mainly, I wanted to know what special tools I am going to end up needing to complete this project. If you also have recommend sources for the tools that would be great as well.

I've looked at a couple of manuals available too. Any recommendations on a good engine manual for someone who has VERY limited Porsche knowledge?

Lastly would be the parts and gaskets I can expect to buy. I have new cyclinders and Pistons already. Once again good sources are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for the help guys. Feel free to also reach me at cortneyjay(at)gmail(dot)com
Old 05-30-2015, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Diving into the deep end with your first post, but welcome. Almost unlimited amount of information and opinions on the subject of engine rebuilds on the 912 BBS - Welcome to 912BBS site. You really do need a plan and a budget in mind before you jump into a rebuild.

I'd be happy to loan you my copy of Harry Pellow's Engine Rebuild DVD set that gives a good overview of the engine rebuild process and you can do some of the work (especially the teardown) without any special tools or all that much experience.

We really like pictures around here and if the rest of the car is in good shape (chassis, tranny, paint, brakes, etc.) then a rebuild is generally a wise investment. You will need to find the right person for any machine work required on the heads and/or block.

Welcome to the addiction and send me a PM if you would like to borrow the DVD's.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to CortneyJay
@Brandon - Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to post some photos. I've been a long time lurker, first time poster. I'll poke around on the BBS site and let you know if I want to borrow those DVD's. Thanks for the offer!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
912 , engine rebuild , manuals , parts , tools