Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I think I checked it sometime back and if memory serves it is not. But I'll check it again to make sure... Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrtsm View Post
Since it's a '68, check if you have a 009 Bosch VW distributor (orange-colored cap, -009 on end of stamped on number). If so, it can be thrown away in the garbage, since it applies no spark advance in the RPM range 1500-2500.

I posted a good review on advance curves for various 912 distributors
here

My 912 had a 009 distributor, and I replaced it with an MSD VW Billet distributor (along with MSD 6A and MSD Blaster coil), for which installation is posted here

Overall, my engine facelift/performance results are shown here

Welcome to world of 912's!
Old 10-01-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Back at it....

Got in the garage today and did a little work on the car. i buttoned up the suspension. The Elephant racing spring plates were pretty easy to install. I'm going to work on installing the torsions bars here soon. I've never tackled setting the ride height and torsion bars so it should be interesting.
I messed with the big brake upgrade kit I purchased and posted earlier in the thread. To remind everyone, it has calipers off the early Boxsters and uses rotors from the rear of a 944, shaved 2mm off the circumference. I haven't purchased the rotors yet but I did a dry run on the passengers side to see if everything would mount up. For those wondering on Wheel selection, I pulled out a set of cookie cutters to see how they will work and every thing cleared nicely. Below are a few pics so far.

Old 10-01-2019, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
battery

Well i figured I'd try to get a small project done this morning before it got unbearably hot out. Forecast for today is 96 and after finishing up guess what? It was 96 degrees...

Just wanted to mount the new battery and the hold down up in the stock location. Nothing fancy just used one existing whole and drilled and used a blind nut insert in the other to hold everything in place. Seems to be nice and snug...

Old 10-03-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, glad it's not a 009 distributor (if your memory serves you correctly). Cheers...

Last edited by wkrtsm; 10-03-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Old 10-03-2019, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Brakes!

Well I got a little time today so I decided to work on cleaning up the brembos I'll be using on the front. As I said earlier in the thread I'm not send them out to be refurbished. I'm cleaning them up, inspecting them, then rebuild them if things look ok.
Overall they look to be in good condition. I have all the necessary parts for the rebuild. After completely disassembling them I found a little oxidation in some area inside where the pistons ride. But I took some scotch pads and everything cleaned up nicely. I used some simple Green at full strength for the final cleaning. Everything look good and there ready for reassembly.

I'm going to try tomorrow to work on getting them together. I still need to disassemble the brakes on the front of the car. I have both sets (front and rear) rotors ordered. I went with cross drilled for both sets. They should be in on the 17th. I hope to be able to work more on the car now that the weather has broke and we are having better temps. Hope to be posting more frequently. Hope you guys are enjoying.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Randy
Great thread. I’m especially impressed with your torsion bar tube repair bushing, as well as the quick-adjust bars. Problem solving at its best.
Bill
Old 10-08-2019, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Brakes

Got back in the Garage today for a little while. I finished rebuilding the calipers. A word of wisdom, make sure you use some brake fluid on the seals and dust covers. It make life much easier. Especially when you're fitting the metal wire retainer around the dust shields. Its tight and the brake fluid allows it to slip right over. I tried doing it dry and as she said "no es bueno" ...
While I had the calipers off I wanted to see the weight difference and it's huge IMO...
Stock ATE caliper w/o brake pads weighed in around 8 lbs and the Brembo a little over 4 lds. So that's big but again I'm going with vented rotors over the solid stock ones so it just might cancel each other out. But I may have my rotors in by friday so I'll weigh them against each other to see. But even if they do cancel each other out I've gotten a tremendous amount of braking power and not taken on any addition weight.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
more brake stuff

Got in the garage for a little while today. My rotors came in but it was 430pm so I didn't have enough time to have them milled down today. But i did call the shop and there open tomorrow So hopefully I can get them bolted up over the weekend. I did do a test fit on the rear. What do you guys think????
I think its sexy as hell!!!!

I also did a little weighing of rotors. Lets start with the front.

I was really surprised by this one. The vented rotors for the front which are 911SC calipers (drilled) are only about 1/2 Lbs heavier. I figure they would be more. So if you total everything up. I should save between 2.75 to 3 pounds of unsprung weight per side.

The rear now.

Looks like the the Boxster Calipers are a little heavier by maybe 1/2 lbs.

Rear rotors:

now here we have a difference of 1.5 pounds, the vented being heavier... Kind of expected this...

But I figure I'll be getting a substantial upgrade in braking power, so I'm ok with it. If you throw everything into the pot it looks like I'm getting a little weight savings overall on the car somewhere around 2.75LBS total of unsprung weight. With the front getting the benefit...

Oh, I test fitted or is it test fit??? the front caliper. Didn't have time to mount up the rotor but I'll try over the weekend.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
brakes finished

Well I got in the garage this weekend and finished up the brakes. Here's a few pic's. had to modify the the dust shields a little but other then that it was pretty straight forward. I was able to get everything off pretty easily. Upon inspecting the old brake stuff I found that everything was very new. Looks like a brake job was done just prior to me getting the car. The hubs came off very easily and the bearing look in great shape.

After pulling the Hubs off the old rotors I used a wire wheel to clean them up.

I used a little Anti-Seize on the hubs and all the hardware putting it back together.

I did make some modification to the front dust shield (sorry No pic's) but they were minor. I didn't have to remove them I just used a cutoff wheel. Pretty easy.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: