Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
well she's home.. Now what do i do.

Well, I just picked up a 1968 912 with original motor and trans. The motor has been punched out to 1720cc with weber carbs. The floor pans have been replaced and the car is pretty rust free except for the rear seat pans which are showing some rust through. With an inspection of the car it looks like its leaking from the bottom of the rear window down into the seat pans. looks to be a somewhat easy fix. The car has been repainted at sometime in it's life to a Pear White from it's original Ivory. The interior is OK nothing to write home about as they say. The seats are original but in need of attention. No rips or tears just NO SUPPORT at all. The head liner needs attention to but it's not that bad. I've seen much worse.
Now the question is what to do to it. I'm thinking a mild outlaw 912. Really not changing anything that couldn't be changed back. I just picked up some 15 inch cookie cutters and I'm stripping them so I can powder coat them. I was thinking about the Corbeau Classic seats, look to be a nice seat for the price. I was going to drop the motor and clear it up and maybe a few upgrades there. i have a new mallory distributor to replace the old one and also get electronic ignition to boot.
At this point I don't think I want to go to wild.
I think some suspension stuff is in the cards also. along with basic maintenance on the brakes and a possible upgrade to some period correct stuff that would improve braking but I'm not even sure it's needed?

I do have a modest budget so i really can't and don't want to go to wild. Right now I'm going to focus on the essentials. Getting it running, stopping and turning well. then I'll move onto the leak around the window then move on from there. I think you can see focus. I'll update this post from time to time to so if you want to keep up with the build you can.

So, some of you give me some feed back, what are your thoughts....
Old 09-27-2015, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There may be rust around the rear window.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Randy:
That looks like a nice find. I'd personally get it running well, get the suspension and brakes dialed in and enjoy it for a while. The way values of these cars is going, I'd be tempted to keep its original appearance and maybe spend a little time getting the rear grille back to metal (if it's an original one) before "R"-ing the car. As you probably know it's also a good idea to hunt down any original trim peaces you need while they're still around. Also, I've found that the stock brakes are more than adequate unless you'll be tracking the car.
Either way, it looks like you've found a fun project.
Good luck,
Bill
Old 09-27-2015, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaems View Post
There may be rust around the rear window.
I've looked over the car and removed the rear deck panel from the interior and i've examined it from the engine side also and no rust was found anywhere. Now i do understand that this isn't 100% but I've owned a number of these cars and I've come to find that in these location (prone rust areas) you normally would find additional rust to support your claims of possible rust around the window. A better guess and a more optimistic one would be to say, It appears to be either a faulty window gasket or install or a combination of both. That's what I'm going with....
Old 09-27-2015, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFBowen View Post
Randy:
That looks like a nice find. I'd personally get it running well, get the suspension and brakes dialed in and enjoy it for a while. The way values of these cars is going, I'd be tempted to keep its original appearance and maybe spend a little time getting the rear grille back to metal (if it's an original one) before "R"-ing the car. As you probably know it's also a good idea to hunt down any original trim peaces you need while they're still around. Also, I've found that the stock brakes are more than adequate unless you'll be tracking the car.
Either way, it looks like you've found a fun project.
Good luck,
Bill

Thanks Bill...
I think either way one can't really go wrong. But I'm very much so thinking about just keeping it stock. But If I don't, one will still be able to change it back with no problem. I won't change it that much. Tracking it is a possibility so that's why i was thinking about upgrading. Any suggestions????
Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Nice find. Interested to see what you do with it.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Nice find! I'm definitely for reversible modifications and upgrades unless it is going to be a garage queen or purely an investment car. Might as well enjoy it! Not a bad suggestion to start looking for the bits to put it back together stock if that's your direction
Old 09-28-2015, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Next

I'm going to try to get her up on jacks this weekend and start looking at what need attention. It going to be pretty wet her so we will see how it goes. I do have several projects working at the same time so we will just have to see how it goes.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Well I got her up on some jack stands and started to pull the seats and the back interior out, knowing I have rust in the rear seat pans. I wanted to inspect how bad it really was.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
rear seat pan area

I started to clear away the section at and around the rear seat pan area. you can see in the three pics the rust in this area. The passengers side is the worse. But really over all it's not bad at all and a patch should be able to be completed pretty easily. Time will tell.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
the bad stuff.

I got up under the car and started to look around the rear torsion bar area and this is what i found.

The middle pics shows where they sprayed foam insulation into the area then used some sheet metal to cover it over. they sprayed undercoating over it then sold it to the guy it just got it from.
Wow! what a new kind of @$$hole.... what people will do.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage

You can also see up into the torsion bar area where the spray foam was used.
you can also see where they used duct tape then body filler on the other frame rail then sprayed undercoat over it.
I can't stress enough how i would love to meet the "A" hole that did this and have a little one on one time together.
Looking over the rust it's not really that bad (ive seen much worse). I think i can repair all of it taking my time and not rushing. What's really amazing is if the guy would have spent a little time on the car he could have repaired it right and been proud of his work.
Oh well I guess I've got a project. Fun for me.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Holy cow, I thought I was looking at snow for a second. Could be worse.

Do you plan on any engine mods?

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Randy:
Sorry to see that there was more to this project than expected, but considering the price these cars are going for it's not bad at all. One result of the high values is the re-appearance of cars which 15 years ago were considered totaled or rolling parts bins back onto center stage.
Having been around these cars since the late 1960's, I've seen just about every way of flipping a junker, but I'll have to admit that the use of spray insulation foam is one of the more creative techniques employed. Also, I've been conditioned over the years to avoid 900 series cars with no rocker mouldings - it's either going to be on a nicely done "R-type" clone or a car that had rocker rust where the registration holes for the moulding were lost in the bondo dust.
Either way, you've got a potentially good car and the added opportunity of saving another example.
Bill
Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Edoyle,
It's already a 1720 with webers so I want to see after the repairs and tuning the motor how she runs. I will do a few things like a new distributor (mallory W/electronic ignition) already have that sitting on the bench. I'll also include a MSD or Mallory ignition box. I'll also fresh-up the suspension with some Koni's all the way around. Lastly I have a set of Cookie cutter wheels (15 inch) I'm stripping and will powder coat for her. I may do a couple other things but that's all for now.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Bill,
It is what it is. You're right about saving her. Not that many years ago it wouldn't be worth it. Now is a completely different story. Looking her over it's not that bad and it gives me a project, which I like to have.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Russ

Garage
Bill,
Congrats on the find and purchase. These cars have a great soul and are certainly worth saving. When I received mine it was in horrible shape. But after a year of work I am loving it and having no regrets.
Let me know if you run into any trouble with the restoration.

69 912 Targa Restoration

Thanks,
Russell
803-606-7269
914.2.4L@Gmail.com
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
allstar

Randy, I am nearing completion of a 66 912 that sat in a basement in Raleigh for 30 years. What looked like a bit of rust in the "usual " places turned into a lot of metal replaced and a full blown restoration. Be prepared to spend more time and money than you ever thought to do it right. I have been at this for about 18 months and the final result will be stunning...
I am in raleigh and have 2 "66 912"s and am pretty familiar will these cars now. My car is now at Tom Nelsons shop on Capital Blvd. . We will put the motor back in next week. If you want to get in touch let me know. Jeff
PS> a good site for info is 912bbs
1977 accord
2004 volvo V70R
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry guys,
Really hadn't done anything since the last post. I had an issue with the title and it took some time to clear it up( 6 months ) but got that taken care of, but then it was summer. A lot of traveling with the family so I had no time to work on it. Also my garage has no air conditioning and the Carolina Summer's can be hot so I didn't touch it. Well it getting to be fall and the weather is better. I started to gather some parts and tools ( sheet metal brake) and I'm getting ready to start rust repair. I hope to be able to post some pics of the work. Not sure how fast it will be or how often I'll be able to mess with it. But I'm motivated to get working on it. So stay tuned.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Check the torsion bar tubes for rust. They may be rusted through and then would need to be replaced. Once all the rust is done. Then you can think about the other things.

The Webers, once they are sorted out are a great carburetor for the 912. However, sorting them out would depend on what cam you are running. The best distributor for a that engine would be the 031 or a one of RS0012 from John Benton Performance, with or without electronic ignition.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: