Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1968 912 Dash top fabrication...

Hi, I'm in the process of installing a new "dash top" that I fabricated using the original (which was too far gone to use in-place).

I've fabricated the fiber board substrate (see photos) and checked that it installs correctly onto the the top of the dash board assembly, and I'm almost ready to cover the fiber board substrate with vinyl.

However, because I don't have a complete original dash top assembly, I'm not sure if there should be some material underneath the vinyl (like some type of thin padding). The original fiber board dash top did have remnants of some material stuck onto it (like horse hair) but there was so little of if I'm not sure of it's intended purpose.

Anyone know the answer to this question?
Thanks
Bob
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have a couple of 68 dash tops in very good condition. I'd be happy to part with one as it might be what you are looking for.

'68 912 Coupe (current driver)
'68 911 Targa (workin' on it)
Old 03-14-2016, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert crouse View Post
However, because I don't have a complete original dash top assembly, I'm not sure if there should be some material underneath the vinyl (like some type of thin padding). The original fiber board dash top did have remnants of some material stuck onto it (like horse hair) but there was so little of if I'm not sure of it's intended purpose.
There is/was a thin layer of 'horse hair' on the original '68 dash top; I don't know the purpose: could be just padding (DOT requirement - required padding of everything else in cockpit), could be noise mitigation. When I made my dash top, I used the thinnest layer of closed-cell foam I could find locally (1/2"), but it is much thicker than the original layer; 3/16" or 1/4" would be close. (Auto upholsterer I am not...)

Peter

Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

You guys are craftsmen. Very nice work. It's nice to see what's possible, even if I'll never be able to replicate it.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

When I did this dash, I used the thinest polyester batting from fabric store, that I could find. I used it on both pieces.

'68 912 Coupe
'82 SC sunroof
Old 03-15-2016, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you all for the information.

Also, djdsc: how did you create the small holes in the vinyl (directly above the speaker location) according to a regular/even pattern? In other words, did you use some type of template to ensure that the holes would be evenly spaced apart?

Also, how did you ensure that they would be essentially aligned to the larger holes in the substrate once you glued the vinyl to the substrate?

Thanks again.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Robert,

I have seen several ways of doing this, the holes. First, I created a grid layout for the hole pattern. As I recall I used an excel spreadsheet as I could scale the grid accordingly. Then I made a template/jig out of a sheet of PVC perhaps 1/4" - 5/16" thick. I then used a hand leather punch to actually perforate the speaker holes, one-at-a-time through the jig. It wasn't perfect as it was all hand done but it was an adventure and worked for me. Time consuming, yes! Fun and creative, yes!

When installing the punched cover I basically aligned the perforations over the speaker holes on the front dash piece and worked, stretched and glued out from there. There is a lot more to this as in there is vinyl that will stretch one direction and some that will stretch in two directions.

Grid for template:

PVC Template:

Speaker Holes in New Cover:

'68 912 Coupe
'82 SC sunroof
Old 03-15-2016, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
WOW very nice
Old 03-15-2016, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This is the dash from my '68. I did the very same thing as you.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Here are a couple more. The black piece of fabric like a satin and it went over the green and under the speaker holes. Years of dust and light pretty much ate holes it in. I used a template and a punch for the holes.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
ptrsbtrs

On the web:
Darryl D's 912 restoration.
He made the template for the speaker holes. You can print it out.
His was for a '66, but I think '68 is the same.
I went one step further, to a print shop (Fed-Ex/Kinkos and had them print one on adhesive backed thin white paper.Then cut your vinyl to size and install.
I stuck it to the dash material before cutting the dash piece to size. That way you can concentrate on hole punching, not keeping the piece positioned. Everything else was just as described above.
Have fun!
Old 03-18-2016, 07:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
912 , dash