Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Horn relay???

I have found the relay located near the battery with the help from people on this forum - I believe this is the horn relay?
It is badly corroded, as you can see from the photos. I am struggling to find a replacement, does anyone have any ideas where I could get one? There are also 3 loose wires - please can anyone tell me what these are and where they should go? A photo of one in good condition would be really helpful, so I can follow it! I have printed off the wiring diagram, but haven't got to grips with it all yet! Thanks for the help!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
That's the horn relay. I doubt you'll find the same metal canister. I would replace is with a modern Bosch relay. They are the same as used in headlight relay assemblies.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Andrew,

I found a pic of the same location with the horn relay. I hope you kan see the colors from the relevant wires (black/yellow, brown/grey and red.

The loose wires, a brown and a black wire, are used to power the windscreen washer reservoir pump.

I hope this helps,

Otto
Old 08-28-2016, 02:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi,

Thanks for all your help so far. We're making (very) slow progress with it! I have another question if you don't mind... I have a red and black wire hanging freely under the dashboard. It is joined with a connector block and then feeds under the dash. Using the wiring diagram, I have traced it back and believe it connects to the wiper motor, but I can't see where it would connect. Have I got this wrong? If you could confirm if you think I am right and can tell/show me where it connects, that would be fantastic! Many thanks in advance
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Hi Andrew,

You're welcome!

You said "red and black wire". Do you mean to say two wires, a red wire and a black wire or just one black/red wire?

A black/red wire is not used in the early 912 wiring at all. But a black/purple is used to connect the wiper switch with the wiper motor as you were suggesting.

A red wire and a black wire are also used under the dash - the red one is connected to the ignition switch and the black from the wiper switch to power the washer pump.

If this doesn't solve your problem, please make some pics to illustrate your question and I'll try again.

Otto
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Let put some light on this...

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 08-29-2016, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

I only wanted to hide the dust a bit ...

Otto
Old 08-30-2016, 12:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Otto,

There is a red/black wire on the early cars. It goes from the fuse block #2 fuse to the cigarette/cigar lighter. So it is not important unless you smoke or need that type of outlet for some electronic device.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Jaems,

my first thought was that I had overseen the cigaret lighter - I'm a non-smoker for many many years now - and I wanted to say: you are right again Jeams, sorry!

But, checked my early 3-clock wiring diagram and found the cigaret lighter to be powered by a red/grey wire... However, you might be right. Perhaps I can find some under dash pics from my '65/'66 restoration, which is a quite original car as you know.

This is what my circuit diagram shows - no color correction ...

Otto
Old 08-30-2016, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Jaems,

You are right! To prove, I went to the garage and checked the '65 and the '68. Both use the red/black for the lighter, and indeed from fuse #2, according to the diagram. Sorry, I was to lazy to take a pic.

That doesn't explain why my early diagram shows red/gray. Perhaps it's a very, very early, or socalled pre-early diagram...

The mystery has been partly solved and Andrew will be able to connect it according to Ferry's wishes.

Otto
Old 08-30-2016, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Otto

Did you get the wiring diagram off the internet? If you did. Then it was redrawn and the colors are not exactly right. Dave Hillman did one in PDF a few years ago that the colors were not quite right. Do to using RGB colors instead of the CYMK offset printing ones. Nor is the one you have very correct. It left out a red wire and the solid green wire should be green/white and the other one green/red. The pink one should be red/white and etc. I have emailed my blown up wiring diagram to you for reference.

I blew mine up to 24"x38" from the one that came with my car from the driver's manual. T then printed it on my large format printer. I will have to check the one that came with the original shop manuals. They are out in the garage. It may be different colors. However, the one that I have matches the my car.

Last edited by Jaems; 08-31-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Old 08-31-2016, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

opps! sent it twice.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Jaems,

It will be very hard to find the real cause of the different colors. Conversion from RGB to an other color model, like CMYK, might cause some change, but not a change from black to gray - all black would have been changed tot grey then. I have a lot of professional experience with prepress and dtp work and never experienced such a change.

Perhaps we could better stop guessing and close this subject. The only one who really could have helped us, is the late Dave Hillman.

In future, let us refer to the original diagram from the manual, it prevents us for a lot of unnecessary discussions, misunderstandings and sending people in the wrong direction.

Agree?

Otto
Old 08-31-2016, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sorry to cause such confusion! The wiring diagram I have printed out is a Hillman one and shows the red and black wire.

The wire in the car is also definitively red and black - although it is quite faded so hard to see in the photo. The photo is of the wiper switch, which has a short red/black wire. The long wire that was hanging loose under the dashboard seems to match this one, so am assuming they are both linked to the wiper system, as this what the wiring diagram I have indicates? it doesn't appear to link to the cigarette lighter as that is all connected up. What do you both think?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

The two wires from the grey plug are connected as follows:
Red/black -> cigarest lighter
Red/white -> switched power supply for radio

I'm quite sure, the two grey connectors in your picture are together the 8-pole connector "64" in the factory diagram. The connector on the red/black in your picture is connector "66" in the factory drawing. The red/white is is also shown as a short wire with a connector, marked with "radio".

Which color wire is connected to your cigaret lighter?

Otto
Old 09-01-2016, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thank you both - have had another look and can see that it could be the cigarette lighter. It looks like the colours on my wiring diagram are incorrect. PLease can you tell me where I can get the one with the correct colours from? The one in my manuals are in black and white, so not very helpful!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Try this:
http://www.texas912.org/912%20Tech%20Data/912%20Wiring%20Diagram.gif
Bill
Old 09-02-2016, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFBowen View Post
Bill,

Do you have a link for an 83?

Cheers

JJ

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-02-2016, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
JJ:
Most of the info I have is 912, but I've seen some links to 82SC which some say is very close to an 83.
Bill
Old 09-02-2016, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: