Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Local Locksmith

Restoring a low mileage #'s matching '68 912. Have one original key for door & ignition but no key for glove box lock. Can anyone offer a name of a locksmith who might be able to help me. I had my local locksmith friend who is good look at glove box lock but he said its beyond his expertise...apparently not easy to disassemble without damaging. Doing a "all original" restoration so looking to use everything original as possible. Thanks, Craig San Bernardino/Riverside/High Desert Area. (760) 954-1988
Old 09-13-2016, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you can find a keyblank, a locksmith can open it. Bob, don't know his last name, has the correct tools and blanks
Bob@wholesalecalifornia.com
Old 09-13-2016, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

It's some time ago I removed a blocked lock from a glove box, so forgive me if I forgot one of the steps in the following sequence:
1. remove the knee pad from the lower dash (under glove box).
2. Remove the bolt from the clamp securing the card board glove box and take the box out.
3. Now you should be able to reach the lock from behind. Press the lip and open the door.
4. Then the lock can be removed.

Otto
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Otto, I think he was referring to disassembling the lock itself if m not mistaken, my locksmith told me a similar thing when I brought t into him.
David
Old 09-14-2016, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

Sorry David, that wasn't clear to me. You can take the cilinder apart to make it matching a specific key. That is not too difficult. But you have to take it apart. If I remember well, there is a lock ring at the back which has to be removed to take the inner tumbler out. I couldn't find the right photos in my archive. Sorry.

Making a blank key fitting the lock can also be done. The key has to be adjusted (filed/grinded) to the pins of the lock. It takes some time, but can be done. I did it it some years ago with success.

Take a look in the "Tech Info" pages here on the board (Menu in top of the page). There is an interesting article about rekeying locks. It might give you some more info regarding the construction.

And if there is no "original" solution, there are specific 911/912 glove box replacement locks available from some US vendors. These are nice replicas, including a set of keys. Perhaps our host sells them, otherwise search the net.

Otto
Old 09-14-2016, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Locksmith

See here. Tony's e-mail included.
Bob B

Tony Euganeo - Porsche Locksmith Service

e-mail: Daskeyman@verizon.net
Old 09-14-2016, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Glovebox lock rekey

Thanks Gentlemen,

Yes, I did remove the lock from the door & took to a locksmith who said "sorry", can't help you but he has done numerous classics for me over past 25 years. This lock apparently is unique & it's "original" so I want to use it even if more work than value to go this route but that's the journey with this '68 & it's a pretty special car..:-) I have ordered a couple blanks for the doors/ignition so when they arrive soon, I pursue these suggestions. Thanks again, Craig/Craig's Classics
Old 09-14-2016, 05:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Otto, thanks very much. I'm not having success finding the glovebox blank, the door and ignition locks were not a problem, and they were coded. I'll keep looking. My local locksmith said they couldn't disassemble without a blank for some reason, maybe they did the grind the pin procedure as you described.

Re: tony eugiano, no reply to phone calls or email, no answer on the phone, gave up on him

Thanks guys
David
Old 09-14-2016, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

just finished my glove box key project today...... finding a blank was easy..... 2 locksmiths in the east bay said impossible to open. ( I believe otto is thinking about the ignition when he said remove locking ring and remove the tumbler and pins) There is a set screw but removing that still does not release the lock guts. so... the second smithy handed it off to a lock wizard.... he was given my ignition key that had the same keyway as the glove box key.... his job was to rekey the glove box lock to my ignition key.....a year later he calls and sais he got it .. but it might not open the ignition?????? so ,sure enough it opens the door and the glove box but not the ignition.. ok..... so the easiest way to solve this was for me to pull my ignition... on the back of the ignition lock is a circular, spring steel holder that if you fiddle with for a few hours you can submit it to being removed....( I actually think it was designed to be hit with a drift and that it would redely release, but the body is bakalite and I did not want to risk breaking it. once that is removed the guts come right out..... now... you can see what the pins do when you put the key into the lock. in my case I had a coule of these around and fount a tumbler that with the key inserted only had one pin that stood up about 1 mm to high... .. so...... I f...ing filed the pin and inserted the tumbler into the lock body and was done..... moral of the story ... if you want all locks to open with one key you may have to start with the glove box and then re do your other locks to match... I say this because I don't know why he could not get my ignition key to work the glove box and it is supposed to be very hard to even make a key for the glove box lock...... who knows ..... maybe it was not raining and some one was pissing on my leg..... bob

Last edited by bobrestore; 09-14-2016 at 08:12 PM..
Old 09-14-2016, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Otto H. Wegkamp

David,

A possible solution for a key blank here in Europe. They say to have all key blanks available. It's worth trying:

Christian Charchulla
Uhlenweg 6
46359 Heiden
Germany
porschedaddy@email.de

I guess they will be able to communicate in English, but if you need help with translation, just let me know.

Otto
Old 09-15-2016, 12:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
+1 for Tony Euganeo: I had him 'redo' the locks for my 68 Targa project: doors (to ignition key), trunk lock and glove box. Not inexpensive, not quick but good.

Peter
Old 09-15-2016, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto H. Wegkamp View Post
David,

A possible solution for a key blank here in Europe. They say to have all key blanks available. It's worth trying:

Christian Charchulla
Uhlenweg 6
46359 Heiden
Germany
porschedaddy@email.de

I guess they will be able to communicate in English, but if you need help with translation, just let me know.

Otto
Thanks Otto, I'll send him an email.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally there were two different key sizes used. The shank of the Euro car keys are longer than the ones for the US cars. Why this is so, I do not know. My Euro car has the longer shank keys.

The long key Euro length is a Taylor P79B, a US manufacture. The short US key is a Taylor P79A, still a US manufacture.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

it is aftermarket key but maybe you can get your work done and have the key copied onto a vintage blank.......sierra madre collection part # 90172231409 about $10.00
Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaems View Post
Originally there were two different key sizes used. The shank of the Euro car keys are longer than the ones for the US cars. Why this is so, I do not know. My Euro car has the longer shank keys.

The long key Euro length is a Taylor P79B, a US manufacture. The short US key is a Taylor P79A, still a US manufacture.
I just ordered a couple from Bob at Keys for Classics he said could be P71R or P79B, $8.95 each. Nice helpful guy
Email@
rara2u2@msn.com
Old 09-16-2016, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
We would like to contribute some historical information about this 911/912 glove box lock and keys.
The original manufacturer of these locks is the DOM Lock company of Germany. They manufactured this same lock for the 356C 1964/1965 cars and the 911/912 1965-1969 cars.

For 356:
The 356 lock cylinder is shorter due to a slimmer cam application. It also has a different keyway.
Key is different profile "GZ" key.
Early keys were not branded. Newer production keys were branded "DOM".
Both lock and key were manufactured by the DOM lock company.

For 911/912:
Lock cylinder is longer to accommodate the thick plastic cam. The lock came with two different key profiles but only one keyway.
One key was branded "PORSCHE" (early version "FP" code). Later version was branded "DOM" ("CC" code").
Both key profiles are almost identical to one another.

Porsche discontinued sales of the key blanks many years ago. Even aftermarket key blanks are difficult to find as key blank manufacturers have stopped production as well; very limited supply is available.

This style lock should only be disassembled by an experienced and knowledgeable person. Keys can be made and the locks can be rekeyed but they require a great deal of time. The pins and springs within are 2mm in diameter and difficult to work with upon disassembly and reassembly.

We offer lock services for this lock and stock the correct key blanks.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=214952
Member: 914World, 914Club PelicanParts TheSamba P-356Registry 912bbs Early911sRegistry
Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I have lost the key blank but still locksmith's able to open it.

Last edited by billford; 03-14-2018 at 08:45 PM..
Old 03-14-2018, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: