Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Victory Motors Houston Robert Lee Neil

This is one for anyone who is searching....

I should start by telling you that I like my car (1988 911 COUPE), it is very pretty and runs well - and I am happy to have it. Victory motors has a lot of pretty, old 911s and I wanted one and was willing to pay top dollar for my daily driver. I corresponded with Robert Allen for a couple of months regarding color, condition requirements, and price. When he had one that fit all of my criteria, I sent him the money sight unseen. yes, I am foolish and naive.
I am posting this because, I just want all of you to know - he was very, very deceitful.

Specifically, for example,

He wouldn’t give me the exact leak down results. Kept texting things like “the results are fine” or “all the numbers are good”. He consistently allows himself to have plausible deniability…….he tells partial truths. When I cornered him with knowledge that the car had a bad head stud cyl 3…he was like “no it doesn't my guys looked and they are ll fine. So I asked for a video showing the inspection of the head studs-----then he reversed position saying "wow - I found a broken head stud....I had no idea….” HE KNEW! - I found out when I did an internet search on my VIN. The prior owner (that sold the car to Victory) put in the advertisement for the car that the head stud was broken. The PO told me that he specifically talked to Victory (mr neil) about the broken head stud - and that it the engine wasn't symptomatic yet. Victory specifically told me that the stud was NOT broken until I sent the ad to him. Then he said he had no idea and it "didn't look broken" -- then he claimed -"it was broken and he had fixed it"......

I let him know that the AC needed to work -this was a deal breaker requirement. i live in new orleans -and can't be exposed to light (i.e. I can't have the windows down) he assured me that the AC worked. It did - for less than 24 hours, and then cost me 2200.oo to replace the condenser, the evaporator coil and do another recharge less than one week after purchase. Yes, They “worked” but they leaked like a sieve.

The original seat belts were shredded…He agreed to replace them during our purchase negotiations, in writing....when the car arrived - they were not replaced. I called and asked him to replace them - he told me I was "Nit Picking" and he sent old moldy nasty WET seat belts for me to install on my own…..again - since I didn’t specify new or in excellent condition - he claims that he replaced my belts as we agreed upon prior to purchase. I am unwilling to install used seat belts in a 30 year old car so I am ordering a set of 4 from seatbelt planet.....600.00 +. I was actually surprised that he would sell a car with shredded seat belts...seems like a liability issue to me.

I could go on and on - lots of small items, BUT - bottom line - the man is a pro, and he has no conscience. Have a PPI, get any promises in writing, and get specific answers to any questions that you have IN WRITING. If those criteria are satisfied than you are set.

I was a fool. I trusted his guys to do the PPI - I knew better but allowed my desire for this car to overshadow my intellect. Caveat emptor….

I have no desire to dwell on this. I like my car and take responsibility for not doing my research on this man, this dealership and this car prior to purchase. I only desire to warn those of you who are trusting souls....DONT TRUST THIS PERSON -

ok I am done

the queen -

Marilyn Pelias (echecsqueen)
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-18-2017, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Nice to see an honest assessment of a questionable transaction. It appears he used outright deception to sell a car with a broken head stud which is a big deal in a air cooled engine.

The prices of these Porsche's are very high especially given their age and need for many replacement parts unless you can find a restored one which will necessarily cost three times as much. Hopefully the fix to your AC system should keep you cool now for years to come.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
be here now

Long loooong history of exactly this scenario. How they have a 100% positive feedback on ebay is very suspicious.
Dozens ++ of horror stories on Rennlist with 993 purchases!
Old 06-18-2017, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Functionista

I do a lot of PPIs. Pre and post purchase actually. The simple fact is places like Victory quickly get in too deep with 911s. They give way to much money to sellers even when they know the repair costs will likely have them losing money. They don't care.

What they need to do is sell them as project drivers, taking care of the major safety issues and state that it's a 30-40 year old car with all the possible issues that entails. But they won't because of a market that provides and endless stream of interested, monied buyers.

You are doing the right thing. I'm sorry this had to happen to you.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Agree with all of the above and thank you. Yes, Manbridge, I think he may have gone in too deep with mine, particularly after I made him replace the head stud. The internet is a remarkable tool and I was very fortunate to see the ad for the car from the PO before I took delivery.

I know (now) that Mr. Neil has a history of threatening people who write negative reviews about him. He has sent other pelicans "lawyer letters" and scared them into retracting their comments. I feel obligated to tell my story - not for sympathy, but to warn the next guy or gal that is buying.

I can't believe how kind and helpful the pelicans have been to me. I am grateful that I have the time and money to enjoy learning to "wrench" on this fantastic car.

It is fun to be the queen
1984 924s Nile Green Metallic with bone (totaled it in the snow in Cleveland, Ohio)
1983 911 White with Cherry Red...gave away (not enough time or money to keep it running) in 2001
Old 06-19-2017, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: