Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Restore one steel wheel

Greetings, I'm looking to be pointed to a shop who can restore a single 15x4.5 Lemmerz steel wheel.

When I acquired the wheel, it had an ancient tire on it but was still holding air. It was chromed but the chrome was in very poor condition (rusting badly and flaking). I had a local chrome shop dechrome the wheel with intent of having the wheel powder coated. During the process the wheel was wire wheeled to remove some of the flaky rust. With the rust went some of the steel. For the most part, the structure of the wheel appears to be sound (but what do I know), however, where the valve stem goes is now an oblong hole, about twice the diameter of a typical valve stem. Most of the pitting that can be seen is on the rim of the wheel where it would be inside the tire, and I have no idea if this needs to be addressed, but obviously I would need to have the valve stem hole welded up and redrilled.

Does anyone know of a shop that does this kind of repair for a reasonable cost?
H2OSB

Last edited by H2OSB; 09-30-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Another option I would entertain...if any of you concours guys are looking for a matching wheel, I would be willing to trade for a more modern 15x4.5 5x130 wheel. I am intending to use this wheels for a spare only on my 1974 VW Super Beetle that has been converted to Porsche 944 brakes (thus 5x130 PCD). The date stamp on the wheel is 5/66

H2OSB
Old 09-30-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have a couple of chrome 4 1/2" X15" steel wheels available. I would have to check to Get exact dates but one is late 66 and the other is early 67. If you would be interested in a purchase the price is $175 each plus shipping. Wheels are very solid. Send me a message with your Email address for pictures.
John
Old 10-03-2017, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. Since I have no need of any specific date on the wheel (it is strictly going to be a spare for my trunk for my '74 Super Beetle with Porsche brakes) I found a shop in a nearby city that will replace the outer rim for $120. I had taken the wheel to a local wheel repair shop and was advised the wheel, at the rim, had become compromised and unsafe due to rust causing metal separation.

H2OSB
Old 10-04-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: