Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to radobard
1967 Porsche 912 with VW 1600 engine

I am mounting a VW 1600 type 1 engine in my 912. What changes must I make in order for this to happen. Can I use my 912 tranny, what motor mounts must I use, heat exchanger hook ups, etc.

Roland
Old 12-02-2017, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Vw 1600

Roland . You can use the same mounts and same transaxle.
you need to buy an adapter kit for your transaxle.
And if youre considering buying new ....get a bigger hp VW motor.
You can pick these engines up with the coupler adapter for 1/2 what a 912 engine would be a 1/3 the cost for better performance.
Some VW crate engines make 150 HP and bolt right in.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Roland:
I've done a couple of these and here are some key points:
1. No adapter needed - the Type 1 case bolts up directly to the Porsche trans - at least one of the studs is too long but this can be replaced or spaced.
2. You need to use a 12v flywheel with the late VW pressure plate/clutch disc with the diaphram type spring. With this setup you can keep your original throwout bearing. You'll need to put some spacers in the clutch cable for proper adjustment but this is no big deal.
Also, you can keep your Porsche starter motor - the teeth will engage about 75% of the flywheel teeth (depth) but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with this.
3. A benefit of this conversion is that you'll inherit an alternator setup with a built-in regulator so you'll need to do some basic re-routing of the wiring around your original regulator. Sometimes you'll need to put a diode on the alt. output wire to keep the current going in one direction. If done properly, the dash light functions as normal.
4. Oil temp and pressure senders will work with a single T-fitting off of the original take-off point, keeping the original wiring.
5.This is very important: Unlike the Beetle or 356 Porsches, the 912 engine dosen't "hang" off of the trans and needs a rear support. You'll need to use a later transporter case or a so-called universal replacement case which has the 3 bosses cast in to accept a rear engine support. If you don't have this case, you'll have to use an adapter off of the oil pump studs which isn't a great way to go. With the transporter case, you have the ability to bolt on a rear mounting bar (often called a "mustache bar") for the rear engine support or you can easily fabricate a plate(s) to match up to the factory 912 crossbar setup. With either setup, keeping things adjustable is a good idea.
6. Throttle linkage is best handled by removing the 'close hanger' where it joins the gas pedal throttle rod at the Porsche trans. From this point on it's best to adapt to a cable which runs up through the rear firewall, through the VW fan housing and ends in the original VW position. This will allow you to use any number of carb linkage options including the stock 34PICT without fabricating adapters.
7. If you keep the stock VW heater boxes, they will match up to the 912 heater valves with a modified hose setup.
8. Be realistic with the engine output. Some of the most usable conversions stay in the 80-90HP range. Going much higher will give you a car that is much less comfortable to drive in traffic, especially considering that the 912 gearboxes were matched to motors that have a significantly higher rev range (VW enthusiasts say that their motors have built-in rev limiters - also known as the cylinder heads.)
Hope this helps & good luck with your project.
Bill
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks to all for the great informative responses.

Roland
Old 12-03-2017, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mr. Bowen,

Is it possible for you to show me a picture of this transporter case you are referencing. I truly appreciate what you have given me thus far and this added picture would help me tremendously. Thanks.

Roland
Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here you go. Photos are of the transporter (or universal) case and a typical mustache bar. The lines in both photos point to the 3 threaded bosses on the case and the corresponding mounting holes in the mustache bar. Whether or not you use a mustache bar or fabricate your own mounting hardware, the 3 holes make it much easier to come up with a rear mount solution. It's pretty easy to make a plate which mounts to the three holes, then adapts with angle stock to the factory drop-down brackets which connect to the large crossbar.
Bill

Old 12-04-2017, 05:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks
Old 12-05-2017, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: