Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Compression Loss #4 cylinder

After rebuilding and adjusting the carburetors on my 66 912, I was trying to read the spark plugs. Cylinder numbers 1,3, & 2 looked minimally black. Number 4 looked brown. I kept trying to match the other mixture screws to get a brown look on all plugs. At some point, the # 4 cylinder plug started looking its metal color, no longer brown. I had only been adjusting on the 1,3, & 2 cylinder mixture screws. However, the # 4 cylinder is no longer firing. I cleaned the carburetor out, have spark, new distributor cap, adjusted points gap, set timing, and adjusted the valves. The # 4 cylinder is still not firing, and only tests at about 65 lbs. of compression. The other cylinders are around 100ish. Could I have burned a valve this quickly, during the approx. 12 hrs of run time (no high RPMS, or abusive running) after the rebuilt carburetors were reinstalled. Engine had always ran on all 4 cylinders before this. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If I were you I would post your problem on the 912 bbs forum and join that as well- it's. Free and there are dedicated strictly to 912 and have a lot of expertise on their forum, all the time and every time

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 01-12-2018, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Greer View Post
After rebuilding and adjusting the carburetors on my 66 912, I was trying to read the spark plugs. Cylinder numbers 1,3, & 2 looked minimally black. Number 4 looked brown. I kept trying to match the other mixture screws to get a brown look on all plugs. At some point, the # 4 cylinder plug started looking its metal color, no longer brown. I had only been adjusting on the 1,3, & 2 cylinder mixture screws. However, the # 4 cylinder is no longer firing. I cleaned the carburetor out, have spark, new distributor cap, adjusted points gap, set timing, and adjusted the valves. The # 4 cylinder is still not firing, and only tests at about 65 lbs. of compression. The other cylinders are around 100ish. Could I have burned a valve this quickly, during the approx. 12 hrs of run time (no high RPMS, or abusive running) after the rebuilt carburetors were reinstalled. Engine had always ran on all 4 cylinders before this. Any advice greatly appreciated.
check the 912 site as you have some answers to provide to slove issue

1967 912 Coupe
1985 911 Carrera
1967 MGB GT
Old 01-13-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: