Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

rough running + misfiring

Please I need your input guys! I am having an intermitant misfire problem. The car runs fine when cold but as soon as the oil temp gauge starts rising (like 120 F) the idle drops really low and gets rough, it feels like it is only running on three cylinders and I can smell gas coming from the exhaust. When the engine revs it misfires and then even worse above three thousand rpms and the power gets flat. Once the oil temp gets to about 180 F the engine does not quite misfire as much and when the idle drops it seems like the computer catches it and brings it back up, but it hunts excessively. The engine does not run hotter than normal, 180 F to 200 F depending on outside temp. I found that my coil was leaking goo so I replaced it thinking that that might be the problem, it runs smoother but problem is still there. The ignition system is all new, coil, rotor, cap, pointless type ignition (I think that it is compufire? has little magnetic disc, works great), spark plugs, wires, everything. I have checked all connections, grounds, etc. I am now stumped, the only thing I can think of is that maybe my cylinder head temp senor has gone bad since it seems that my problem is effected by the temp of the engine.
Sorry to ramble on but I wanted to give you the background info. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-22-1999, 06:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Engine hunting always makes me think about vacuume hose leaks so check for those. I also had a similar problem when I switched the two hoses on the vacuume advance on the distributer on my 75 L-jet.

I assume you have checked your timing after you changed everything out?

Another thing to check would be your cold start valve.

You didn't say what year / type FI you have, but it sounds like you are running too rich.
Old 09-23-1999, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you've got a 1.8 the flap box may be the culprit. If you backfire through the intake (?) you may have damaged the unit which will cause you to run either too rich or too lean. I'm not sure which one.
Try putting the points back on.

Steve M

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 09-23-1999).]
Old 09-23-1999, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: