Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
10 914's and counting

Garage
74 2.0 Barn Find Update

So, here is the update.

Received the car in early July, refurbed the gas system (great lines from Tangerine). Hell-Hole rebuilds with Longitudinal steel added on the right side.
Miracle Oil in each cylinder - Check!
All new Hoses - Complete
Reset all of the Grounds - Done
Resurrected the Start motor - works great
An open wire on the junction box - fixed (fuel Pump relay)
Resoldered one of the fuses on the junction box
Cleaned connections at the ECU and MPS as well as various other connectors
New interior carpet and other rubber
Of Course - new oil, filter, strainer, etc......
Checked Injectors - all spraying perfectly (thank you Hurst Injectors)

Powered the car, cycled the engine a few hundred revolutions ( a few at a time) - sounded like a swiss watch....fingers crossed

Energized the Ignition - hit the starter (external switch) and 1 crank and then a BIG CLUNK.......

Starter solenoid now will energize but the engine will not budge.......

Pretty sure the engine is mechanically blocked - will take out starter tomorrow hoping that it is the culprit (I did rebuild it - perhaps I goofed?)

Next step - Drop engine, rebuild.....

Tough since the car has 20K and has not been started since 1988.......was hopeful I could get another 80K before cracking the case.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
10 914's and counting

Garage
WEDGED

OK, here is another Update - On a hunch, we dropped the starter and then the ENGINE TURNED UNDER MANUAL POWER>>>>>YEA!!!!

Took out all of the plugs, checked each cylinder with a scope (I have a great deal of marginal Chinese made tools) and though I could see very little - I could not see any valves or other bad things in each of the cylinders.

Hooked up power and ran the starter - the engine rotated like a swiss watch.....no damage detected yet.

Re-installed the plugs and ran the starter. There was a large Clank again and then after 30 years in storage the engine started!!! Then it stopped.

I cranked the engine again and it CLANKED again and then I could not run the starter. I also could not manually rotate the engine.

Soooooo, we dropped the starter and the engine could then be rotated manually.

Seems that the starter is WEDGING itself against the flywheel. Not sure why.

Buying a new starter today will report if the starter was the fix or perhaps there is a Flywheel problem.

BTW - we inspected the teeth on the flywheel and they are all there, sharp and new looking.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of starter trouble?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Do you know if the starter is correct? There are a number of parts books (particularly those used in large auto parts chain stores) list the wrong one. The correct one is SR-17X. The listed one puts the Bendix (the gear that engages the flywheel teeth) in the wrong location.

The only other thing I can think of is some kind of misalignment between the starter and the flywheel.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
10 914's and counting

Garage
End of the starter tale

END OF THE TALE

OK, here is the cause of the clanking.

My 17 year old son is the mechanic on this project. He was the one that took out and replaced the starter each time. After I wrote about this problem, I went to the garage and saw that there was a spring washer on the long Bolt that bolts into the engine compartment. I saw that the washer was on the Flywheel side of the starter......hhhmmmmmm

I called my son on the phone (out with friends) and asked him if he installed the washer between the starter and the car? He said YES. I asked him why. He said: ' because that is where it was when we took off the starter the first time'. I cannot blame him since we have uncovered a great deal of weird in this car,

SOOOOooooo, the washer introduced about 1 radian of cant into the position of the starter and the way it hits the gear. I believe that this was enough to put a great deal of resistance on the interface between the starter pinion and the big Flywheel gear.

Installed the starter without the washer and the starter was faster and absolutely NO CLUNKS

THANK YOU DAVE for the words of encouragement and pointers!

CTC
Old 08-24-2018, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
Woohoo!! So happy that you found the culprit and that it wasn't anything major!

Do you have any pics of the car?
1990 Honda Hawk GT, 1988 Honda Hawk GT,
1977 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 08-29-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
barn find , clunk , engine froze