Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

tie rod replacement

First of all, are all 914s cursed? or just mine? Well, I've just bought the 930 turbo tie rods replacement, but the old ones are not letting go. The universal joint bolt refuses to twist out despite my persuasions (torched it, dropped the rack/pinion assembly, pried at it with the biggest bar I've got slid through the eyelet from which I had burnt the rubber out, no luck). If anyone has replaced theirs and experienced the same seizing of this bolt, I'd love to hear how you managed it. --john, cursed 914 owner
Old 09-13-1999, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Ummm... If I recall correctly (I haven't dug into it myself, so no guarantees!) the part that you can see on the end of the rack is a funny-shaped "jam nut". You should hopefully be able to loosen that plate, then unscrew the tie rod end from the rack.

It may take some heavy-duty help (hammers, etc.) to do it--so it may be a good idea to have replacement plates available.

--DD
Old 09-20-1999, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey, as for the 'funny jam nut', does this part get tossed with installation of new 930 tie rods? The rods come with their own spacer that goes in the same place, and it appears as though reusing the orignal round lock ring would leave little room for tightening the rod in (it would be very hard to get a wrench on the rod end where it has slots), plus it would prevent more of the new rod's threads from turning in to the rack assembly. ?? --john
Old 09-21-1999, 01:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just did this same upgrade a few months ago. As Dave says, there is a large, flat jam nut on the inside of the bellows that effectively locks the clevis bolt (if that's what it's called) to the rack. This locknut has indents on 4 sides (I recall from memory but could be wrong) to engage a hook type spanner. In this manner, the locknut can be "unlocked." You then remove the clevis and also the old bellows, as the TTR bellows are somewhat different.

If you are trying to get the clevis bolt out without first unlocking the lock nut, it may well seem that things are seized, but they're not.

With regard to the spacer that comes with the Turbo Tie Rods, I believe it replaces the locknut on the stock assembly, which is no longer needed, to keep total length and number of exposed threads the same. Otherwise I don't know what it's there for, although it may also act as a washer between the rack's machined end and the spherical rod end. In any case, I did use mine. The spherical rod end of the TTR screws into the rack, and a thin wrench is used on the 4 flattened sides to tighten it against the rack.

My set of Turbo Tie Rods came without any instructions, so all of the above is by deductive reasoning (and it worked!). My car was aligned with no problem and the difference in handling is quite noticeable!

Good luck!
Old 09-23-1999, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I replaced mine about 3 months ago. Those locknuts were a bear. I ended up with a big vise and a four foot pipe on the spanner wrench to get mine apart.

I believe that the new spacers are to limit steering rack travel. The original yoke assembly acts as the stop but the new TTR's I think are small enough that they will fit to some extent into the rack housing. I don't know if the rack and pinion will actually disengage or that there will be just too much steering input. I used them just to be safe.

Bobbitt

[This message has been edited by Bobbitt (edited 09-24-1999).]
Old 09-24-1999, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: