Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

75 914 2.0 loses power when engine hot

I have a weird issue I cant figure out. My car runs great when the engine is cold, very responsive and has no lag. But after a little while when the engine is hot it bogs down and almost stalls when accelerating. I have to rev the engine quite high before letting out the clutch in order to keep it running. Also, if I drive it for too long it runs at a very high heat. Anything that could be causing this that Im missing?
Old 08-25-2018, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Check your fan belt
Old 08-26-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The "fan belt" only runs the alternator in a 914-4. The fan is bolted to the end of the crankshaft.

First, why do you say that the car "runs at a very high heat"? What do you mean, and what specifically are you seeing?

Your bogging could be caused by something in the intake or fuel systems--does your car have the original type of fuel injection, or carburetors of some kind, or something else?

If you do have an overheating problem, there are a number of causes. The first ones to check are that you need to have all of the parts of the cooling system in place. The top side of the engine needs to be isolated from the bottom side, because you are taking cooling air from the top and pushing it out the bottom, and you don't want to re-ingest it. You want all of the holes in the engine tin to be plugged, as well as the plug for the timing hole in the top of the fan shroud to be present. You want the flaps inside the engine tin to be present (there was a school of thought that advised leaving them out, completely missing that they actually directed air to go through the oil cooler!) at the very least. You want to make sure your fan isn't missing lots of fan blades, as well.

Basically, you want all the bits and pieces to be there and working. That's at least a good baseline for the cooling system.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 08-26-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Was this ever resolved?

- Same problem with the 2.0 in my 912E.
If the high engine temps were causing the power loss, wouldn't the dash temp gauge be in the red, or at least show abnormally high ?

Fuel pump, rotor, plugs and voltage regulator were all replaced May '18. I just got a new coil, but it's resistance tests the same as the original coil in the car, so I am holding off on that install.

Bill K
Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
If the gauge is working right, it ought to read high if it is hot enough to be a problem. I would be thinking vacuum leak on this sort of deal.

Francis Bacon
Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

ADDITIONAL INFO: the rpms also change. When it first starts for the day it runs like 1800rpms and when the engine is up to temp it drops to around 8 or 900rpms and struggles to get moving. Like I said in the beginning, I have to rev the engine before I take off or it will stall. If it was a vacuum leak, wouldnt it be the opposite problem? Rough when cold, better when hot? Maybe not. Its just super frustrating. Does anyone have a really clear vacuum diagram for my year and model?
Old 09-06-2018, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Not a really clear one, no.

Vacuum leaks generally manifest as a high idle in a car that runs D-jetronic EFI, like a stock 2-liter does. Leaks near the intake valves (like the injector seals) can cause rough running.

Have you looked at Brad Anders' D-jet bible yet? http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders

That contains just about everything that is currently known about your 914's D-jetronic EFI.

Again, how do you know your engine is too hot?

--DD

Old 09-06-2018, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

UPDATE: PROBLEM FIXED! Dave, thank you for the link to brads page. It did end up being a vacuum issue. The truth is, there are not any clear vacuum diagrams for my specific year and model. It seems that even with the D-jetronic engine there are some things that changed from year to year and especially in California. I was however able to track down the culprit by comparing 2 different diagrams. I finally found that I had two vacuum lines swapped. Once they were put back where they were supposed to be the idle issue went away and the engine never got too hot like it did before. I will try and remember to take a photo of the vacuum lines Im talking about for other peoples sake.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Do any of you know if a place in riverside Ca that sells used 914 parts. I thought I saw a place once in an ad that has a bunch of old 914s they were parting out. Let me know,thanks
Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Sorry, not in Riverside. Some folks have held swap meets in that area, but I don't know of any specific used parts place.

--DD

Old 09-24-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: