Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

first 914

I have restored a lot of cars since I was 16 and quite a few bugs. So I traded a motorcycle, a 65 Benelli, for a 73 914. The car needed a repaint but was a rust free Colorado car. Also rebuilt engine. Amazing the difference between a 1.6 bug and a 1.7 Porsche so It gives me the bug nostalgia with a bit more speed, comfort and cool factor.

Anyhow, there is always an issue and electrical gremlins run rampant. The first is the starter. I assume its the same issue with a bug where you need to add a starter relay but do advise if different. Then the wipers and gas gage don't work and it looks like the wiper motor is going to be fun to get to. I assume the tank sender is under the metal expansion tank and I ran out of gas so that's a priority.

But the vexing issue is the lights. Im getting low voltage on the left side, so the rear taillight and parking light need to work. If I had no voltage it would be more obvious but getting a volt or 2 seems to say I have continuity but high resistance. Everyone says grounds, but any advise I can get is well taken. I'll read through the posts but I suspect these are some typical electrical issues. Ive done a few bugs and the electrics are always fun!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Start by cleaning all the grounds and bulb sockets.
PCA - 35yrs / Ex-RGruppe #197
'04 GT3 Halloween/SF Giants car
'11 E550 Coupe (Königstiger)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Grounds and relays under the dash are what you want to look at with lights

Francis Bacon
Old 08-29-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Air Cooled

Garage
Nice looking 914 man! You should bring it up to Boulder at one of our Wednesday night meets, talk to air-cooled Porsche guys.
1990 Honda Hawk GT, 1988 Honda Hawk GT,
1977 Honda CB750K Cafe
Old 08-29-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Congrats on the new ride! Take a look at the below link to our site's DIY tech articles on the 914 platform. I'm sure you'll find them helpful when you start working on it. Let us know if you have any questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm
Old 08-29-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: