Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New motor problems

I just rebuilt and installed my HO 2.0. When I put the motor together I adjusted the valves like I should have. I read the how to rebuild your VW book. I adjusted them to .006 .I also used the finned alum. valve covers. The stud on the front drivers side of the motor broke and the whole rocker arm shaft came off the studs when I was breaking the motor in. I replaced the both studs and put it back together and adjusted them. When ever the motor gets warm the rockers in that area keep on ticking! I've adjusted them 3 times. What am I missing? Please help me.
Old 09-19-1999, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jim,
Remove the rocker assembly again and inspect these things:
1) Is the "wire loom" in the correct place and not in the way of any of the push rods?

2) Inspect the c-shaped rocker assembly mounts for cracks.

3) Inspect the push rods and ends for damage.

4) Look at the top of the valve stem for damage. Is it mushroomed or looks beat-up?

5)Inspect the rocker arms for damage (cracked or bent?)

6) Are the rocker assembly studs tight? (no looseness)

You did not say but when you readjusted the valve clearence, was the clearence out of spec again?
Old 09-20-1999, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

When I checked the clearences nothing was out of spec. I'll get under there this afternoon and pull off the damn assebly again. Any other suggestions would be great thanx.
Old 09-20-1999, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Any other suggestions would be great before I get under my car.
Old 09-20-1999, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Did you post adjust at .006?? I think the valve adjust for 2.0L is .006 intake, and .008 exhaust.
Old 09-20-1999, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
When you torque up the nuts that hold the rocker arms onto the heads (something really low like 10 or 11 ft-lbs!) make sure that cylinder is at TDC. Otherwise the pressure of the rocking arms and valve springs will throw off the torque readings.

--DD
Old 09-20-1999, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It turned out that on of the pushrods wasn't seated when I was adjusting the valves. Thanks for everone's input.
Old 09-24-1999, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: