Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cool Newbie - Autocross Prepped 914 2.0

Hi!

New to 914 arena since last week as I just picked up a '74 Polar Silver 2.0. It's complete, non-running car that I hope to get going again enough to run some local Autocrosses when I can.

Unfortunately, no history or receipts whatsoever. Hoping I can find some history or PO's along the way. Going to need some help getting it started and will post up on another thread.

Here she is!!

Old 10-10-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
As I said on the Racing board, look up the VIN on the 914world website.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks Dave!
It’s not on the list.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So, I’ve been looking over the car since getting it home. Dropped in the new battery to see what I got. Lights pop up, blinkers, brake lights, hazards, gauges for the most part functional. Don’t hear fuel pump on start position. Checked voltage on battery and off coil and ok there. Checked and replaced all fuses, cleaned up connections, fuses one relay. Swapped out headlight relays to 2 missing spots on relay board. Heard a little noise on key turn right away, but went away after a while. The plugs, ignition components, oil look new. Dropped some oil in the cylinders and some starting fluid and gave a few rolling jump starts to see if it would catch. Turned over fine and almost sounded like it might start after a few more tries, but I ran out of help.
Took some pictures of what the engine compartment looks like so maybe someone can see something obvious. My skills are minimum and welcome any and all feedback.
Also, I might mention there is a green wire jumped from relay straight to what I believe is fuel sending unit. Also, i did use a screwdriver to cross the poles and starter did spin.
Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0qoKNAxxyyIzDf6fUVfK7g4kA#Modesto
Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The green wire is for the oil pressure gauge that a previous owner seems to have installed.
The round cylindrical thing with a hose at one end and the green and White wire at the other is the oil pressure sensor, one wire goes to the gauge and one goes to the oil light.

The fuel pump should run for about 2-3 seconds to build pressure when you turn the key on. One of the round relays in the engine room is the fuel pump relay (i dont remember which one) The relay board in the engine bay doesnt need to be full of relays, one empty place is for the heated rear window which was a very rare option. See this thread: 914World.com - The largest online 914 community!
Old 10-16-2018, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks falcor!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Only two of the relays are needed to run the engine. The other two are for the heater blower motor and the rear defroster.

You have D-Jetronic EFI, which is the original system to your 2.0 motor. The web pages at http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders contain pretty much everything that is currently known about D-jet.

The pump gets power from one of the two fuses on the relay board. I don't remember which one. That power goes through a relay, and from there it goes to the pump and to the Aux Air Valve which is the thing with two vacuum hoses just left of and below the center of image 7161 of your uploads. There's a single wire going into the bottom of it which is connected to the fuel pump power wire.

The fuel pump relay also uses the power from the "power supply relay" (another of those round relays) to do its switching, and also a signal (a ground, specifically) from the ECU as well. The power supply relay gets switched on by the power that goes to the coil.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks Dave! I'll check it out.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

OK, here's the latest update.
Since the headlights pop-up were functioning upon key on, I put them in the relay board to see if the fuel pump would come on. It did not, so I put them back in the headlights only to find only side popped up. So, i have a bad relay. Put good one in fuel relay spot, key in 'on' position and I could hear fuel pump activate. Yes! Still not turning over at start position.
Read in other posts regarding seat buzzer relay could be problematic. Pulled back carpet behind passenger seat and see wiring going under seat. Cannot remove seat without removing roll cage to view entire assembly. Took a few blind phone camera shots best I could to see underneath. Felt around and did not locate buzzer relay, just main relay. Maybe PO removed?
In any case, I cut and merged big yellow wires together and tested ignition key.
Voila! Motor turned over several times and the smell of starter fluid! Didn't want to kill my battery, so I left it at that until next effort to diagnose what I think would be ignition spark problem. At least a little progress I suppose.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: