Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

solid motor mounts

An acquaintance of mine suggested that I replace my rubber motor mounts with solid ones and that I would get a little more torque. Has anyone had any experience with these? Also, who sells them?
Old 09-26-1999, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Depends on the year the 70-72 ones look to be more plyable then the 73+.

Can't say I've been in a 914 with solid engine mounts, most people just stiffen up the tranny mounts for better shifting (I have seen trannys with the ears broken off also). I've been in other car with them (big domestic V-8's), and it isn't all that pleasant. Maybe try new ones first, then if you want stiffen them up with hose clamps.

As for finding them. If it is a 73+ any machine shop could make them. Or just use a stack of washers. If it is a 70-72 MAYBE 911 mounts would work, find out from Tom.
Old 09-26-1999, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Our race 914 is mounted solid and I can hear every little noise the engine and tranny make and they make a bunch! Our street 914 has the sport mounts, much quieter and they work really well. I'd go with the stock or for a little more solidness the sport mounts.
Old 09-26-1999, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Solid mounts are not intended for long term service. I used them in my full frame 66 Chevelle 2dr sedan drag car. The stock rubber mounts were not intended to withstand the tork my 460hp 427 big block applied during an upshift at 7800 RPM'S There are other reasons drag racers use them. They aid in reaction time. Using solid mounts on a unit body car with no other modifications will result in metel fatigue in the unit body. MHO

[This message has been edited by rich (edited 09-26-1999).]
Old 09-26-1999, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: