Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pelican Rocks!

I just want to say that Pelican Parts has my
allegiance for ever. I recently called them with a request for a VDO bulb recepticle. I
think it was Tom (I always get them mixed up) said he would send one to me.I expected to pay for the recepticle and shipping. it showed up yesterday in the mail
with $3.20 worth of shipping and 3 different
recepticles with bulbs. NO CHARGE
I think that was way above and beyond. I can't wait to buy my Bursh and Swaybar.
There must be a method to their madness.
Old 08-27-1999, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes I agree conpletely. I live in Atlanta and will NEVER use AA even though I can walk down to them. The service is to be comended at Pelican!

great guys
Old 08-27-1999, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Bowlsby

I completely agree. About a year ago I flew from the San Francisco Bay area to LA to check out a 914. I knew of Pelican then but only surficially. I ended up buying the car and was to drive back to San Jose (an 8 hour drive). I soon found out that the PO of my car had replaced the clutch cable and improperly adjusted it. I couldn't have shifted all that distance without trashing the trans and I didn't know enough about the car at that time to have found the problem. So I called Wayne and he came to their shop on a saturday onan hours notice and not only identified and fixed the problem but also gave the car a look over and identified certain things that I had not seen. He did all this without asking for payment. So while I was there, I ended up buying several hundred dollars worth of stuff. Since then I have bought nearly everything I have needed from them. They are always courteous and very knowlegeable. Their phones must be ringing off the hook. They make the experience fun, I wish I lived in LA I would save on shipping! They have also sent a few no cost items for me. This world needs more people like Wayne and Tom.

My compliments Wayne and Tom!

Jeff Bowlsby 1974 914 2.0L
Old 08-27-1999, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Now this is a thread I like!

Hi Jeff, I assume that your trip back went a lot smoother being able to completely disengage the clutch. I was glad that was the only problem.

As for the phone ringing off the hook, we are busy, and we are hiring, but we still need to get the word out to more people in order to get past that critical point, and to start making a profit. (Yup, you heard that right).

So please help spread the word. I have found that word of mouth seems to be our best method of advertising.

Thanks again everyone here for your support. I'm very happy that this BBS is tremendously successful, and has helped many people out!

-Wayne
Old 08-29-1999, 09:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I would like to add to the accolades given Pelican by users of this BB. I have been working on a shifting problem of late, and it was Wayne who put me in touch, thru a personal E-mail response, with another 914 fan, who is the original owner of a '72 914-6. This guy - who is an actual "rocket scientist", fabricated a part to reattach the clutch cable tube to the firewall, with no welding. This part will no doubt last longer than the car itself!

In addition, yesterday at about 3:30PM, I called Pelican to order a few parts needed to rebuild the pedal cluster. The parts arrived today at 10:00AM. I have never experienced such a short turn-around period from any other parts supplier, and I have used quite a few of them. I don't want to imply that all their orders will be filled this quickly, after all, we are both located in California, but I was quiet pleasantly suprised.

Anyway, I don't want to get too mushy, but I agree, Pelican is the best!
Old 09-02-1999, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes i agree , p.p. has helped me very much ! Alot from there tech and bbs. You guys have a very enjoyable web page! Keep up the great work!
Mike
71,75,76 914
Old 09-03-1999, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Yes i agree , p.p. has helped me very much ! Alot from there tech and bbs. You guys have a very enjoyable web page! Keep up the great work!
Mike
71,75,76 914
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mike
71,75,76 914
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 72_914
I couldn't agree with all you guys more. I have always been very satasified with the service I received from PP. Other than a few odds and ends I order everything from PP. It's nice to know what to expect when you order something. I don't think I have ever heard a bad thing about PP yet! Can't say the same about that other place (AA)! I would like to say thanks to everybody at PP for helping me get my 72 running again.
Old 09-04-1999, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I to agree that pelican parts is definetely different as far as going out of they're way for it's customers. I hate to talk bad about the company like I have about MOFOCO because they are not even that bad. My only problem was just last week when I ordered a web-cam from them after I attempted to order a cam from MOFOCO. The cam shipment to them was a day late(not they're fault). I had told them that I needed the cam ASAP because I was hoping to get the motor in my car by labor day, So they offered to ship it to me overnight at the regular ground price which was really cool of them. I had also asked them to ship it to my work because I was not going to be home. It arrived the next day, this last friday, but it went to my house instead. This caused it to be tied up in UPS until wednesday the 7th so all that hurring was in veign. Oh well. I have just not had the best luck in the last month or two.
Old 09-05-1999, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

This topic column could get rather lengthy, I think.
Still, these guys are worth it, if for no other reason than their courtesy in dealing with people. I've always dreaded having to call 914 parts providers in the past, especially for advice. Every time I reach that pinacle hubris where I actually believe that I've finally 'learned it all' about my car, it surprises me with another arcane obstacle--or yet another 'trivial' MISSING FREAKING LITTLE PART! And PP is there, very courteously not treating you like a jerk for knowing less than you wish, or thought, you knew.
And special thanks to Tom, for his calm and sane rapport on the phone, and for being a Human Being. I'll never order from anyone else, if I can help it. And I've recommended y'all several times already. I wish you the best! --john
Old 09-13-1999, 11:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Add my thanks on to the heap. When I started my restoration last year, I didn't know any suppliers and would order from whoever I found. I quickly found out that Pelican not only had excellent prices, but the willingness to go that extra mile!

Tom is probably the biggest reason I am driving around today enjoying the wind in my hair. Without his help my 914 wouldn't be moving and my hair would be gone!
Old 09-14-1999, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I hate that I am so far down in this thread because I want all the readers/users of this BBS to read this. I recently ordered a Windshield Wiper Switch from Tom at PP. It apparently got lost in the mail. I e-mailed Tom about the delay. With no questions asked, Tom shipped out another switch asking only that I return the other switch if it showed up.

I have not had all that much experience with catalog-type ordering, but I doubt that many, if any, companies would take the customer's word without hesitation and send out another product immediately. This type of trust is why I will be dealing with PP from now on whenever I need advice or parts.

Thanks Tom and Wayne!!
Old 09-17-1999, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

hello all,
i just got a '74 914/4 1.8L a couple of weeks ago, and i just wanted to thank you all for making my life a little easier. normally when i have to make any purchases via e-commerce or catalog, i always seem to end up beating myself up for going with the wrong company. with all the praise and insight that you all have put into this thread, i believe i can order from Pelican with nothing but confidence.

p.s. you guys at Pelican have a great thing going here with this fantastic website and a customer loyalty base that i haven't seen anywhere else. i look forward to ordering from you.

thanx,
a 914 newbie...but hopefully not for long
Old 09-18-1999, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The life of this thread only shows how loyal we are to Pelican Parts and that Tom and Wayne have been loyal to their customers. Alot of big and small business' can learn a thing or two about PP.
1) They have an interest in the subject matter.
2) The staff is concerned about their customers.
3) Customer satisfaction is important to them but so is honesty and they combine the two very well.
4) They expand at a pace that wont compromise the other 3 points I've made above.
5) They put up with annoying customers like me.
Which leads my to my story, I orderd a pressure sensor from PP. Yep I shelled out the 2 bills for that puppy. I wanted to get it ASAP so I could get the 914 back on the road. Tom sent it out 2nd day air, he gave me a tracking number and I waited. It said 2nd day on UPS' website. It took a week for me to get it. Throughout that time I had called Tom to see if he had any updates on his end. I probably called him aleats 3 times a day. A 2 hundred dollar part that has a direct affect of the operation of my car is not something that I want to lose at the hands of UPS. Tom was on my side all the time, he put up with me all that time. Since then UPS has, somewhat, cleaned up their act. UPS is a great example of a company that could learn a few things from Pelican Parts.
Old 09-18-1999, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Your point about UPS is well taken. Here in Canada, we have a Free Trade Agreement with the US, meaning no duty is charged on goods purchased in the US and shipped to Canada. Well guess what, UPS demands all goods go through their customs broker to tell us that we don't have to pay duty! And, yes, they charge us $15 plus tax for that. (Sorry, just hit a raw nerve.)
Old 09-20-1999, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage

Due to the many projects I have been working on in the past four years, I have found it necessary order many items/parts from other areas. Whenever there is a major delay or screw up. There’s always been one common denominator… UPS! They certainly could learn a lot from PP.
Old 09-20-1999, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hello everyone.. just a quick note to add to the rest. I am a proud new owner of a '74 914 2.0 and it is in really great condition. just a few things I will add to make it get up and go. but, I wanted to say that I work in the e-commerce enviroment and it is not often you get a call from a company that you have never delt with telling you that the part you just ordered is not in stock the same day!!! I am impressed, they didn't have to call I could have waited days (like the company I work for)before I realized that my part would not ship in a timely manner.
If this is the way this company handles all there customers, I am a customer as long as I own my new baby (914). Thanks PelicanParts!!

JackieA
Old 09-23-1999, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
I've ordered various nitnoid parts and have sent e-mails, and all have been handled (or answered) quickly and courteously.

Sure, I've ordered the various catalogs from AA, Tweeks, Automotion, BugPack, etc., but mainly just to have a visual parts reference whenever I order from Pelican Parts! I believe AA has ignored the web completely as a way to disseminate (free) information, since they seem to charge for EVERYTHING, INCLUDING info!

PP rules.
Old 09-23-1999, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Hi all. For those of you who don't know me yet I'm a 914 newbie as well. Having located numerous problems my PO rigged, I need almost all of the little do-dads. I stumbled upon this web site 6 days ago and it was added to my favorites list. If it wasn't for this bb I would've used a co. like AA. But thanks to everyone for informing me of PP

Wayne, in school I learned that 1 satisfied customers will tell 3 people, while an unsatisfied customer will tell 10 people he/she knows. The words getting out!!!!! I even go to other 914 sites and spread the word, so don't worry and keep up the good work
Old 09-23-1999, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: