Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Oil Level Help

Hi All -
I have just finished a front oil cooler install with t-stat. When the engine is running the engine oil level reads perfect on the dipstick. When it is shut down and has cooled off it reads probably 3/4 of an inch over the full mark on the dipstick. Should I make it so it reads correctly running or not running? We have been having some discussions on the colorado 914 board - just thought I would get a broad range of views.

Thanks!
Scott S
Old 03-12-2003, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Scott, BTDT. I was overfilling my oil by checking it with the engine running. I now warm the engine and then check the level. Check it hot right after you shut it down. It should be at the top mark. If you let it sit a long time, the oil from the upper parts of the engine and case walls drains down to the sump, showing a higher level. The oil from the cooler and lines can also slowly drain back raising the level.

Ed

http://community.webshots.com/user/evill914
Old 03-12-2003, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If the engine is a dry sump engine either a 6 or a 4 then you should check the oil with the engine warm, level and running. If it is a wet sump engine even with a front oil cooler then warm the engine, shut it off and check quickly as Ed said. Normally dry sump engines are level checked at the tank, not the block as the oil is getting sucked out as fast as possible. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: