Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front strut housings

Hello all

Working on some nice replicas here using 911 and 914 front suspensions and i'm turning crossed eyed over the number of different strut housings and hope some on here can help out in clarifying/identifying what i have to play with!

on the 914 aspect i'm only 95% sure so here goes those.

I'm presuming that the Media blasted housing on the left is the "72" and later 914 hosing, and the other two are "72" and older (One has a 1970 date printed on it!) but the brake line holder tab on the two on the right are different (Ones just a hole (the 1970 one) and the other has the "slot" type tab.

I'll post the 911 Housings later in the 911 section?

Thank you all that can help
Kevin

Last edited by 91 XR7; 01-25-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Old 01-25-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Strut housings

Iíve about finished restoring my 1970 and the strut housing where the ball joint slips in does not have the press slit the two on the right have. Now Iíll mention the for a great front brake upgrade on my 70 and 71 914 I have installed 1978 BMW 320i brake calipers and they are a direct bolt on, however, Iím told that to do the same install on 74-75 914ís there would be some slight machine work required.

It would be interesting to see what all the different variations of strut housings that were used on the 914ís. That was an interesting post with pics
Old 02-03-2019, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

so on your 1970 914, you have the style of strut on the left? Offset Caliper ears, and a Wedge pin style ball joint? heh i would almost likely to say someone swapped them out?

But we have done the BMW caliper swap on the earlier spindles before, but weren't impressed with the performance, But then again we are use to every component in the brake system to be brand new...

Since we seem to go through a decent amount of 911 / 914 front suspensions, i can see about updating with pictures if something "Different" shows up in either department. But usually we just deal with none turbo, BOGE, based stuff.

thanks for the response

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess p View Post
Iíve about finished restoring my 1970 and the strut housing where the ball joint slips in does not have the press slit the two on the right have. Now Iíll mention the for a great front brake upgrade on my 70 and 71 914 I have installed 1978 BMW 320i brake calipers and they are a direct bolt on, however, Iím told that to do the same install on 74-75 914ís there would be some slight machine work required.

It would be interesting to see what all the different variations of strut housings that were used on the 914ís. That was an interesting post with pics
Old 02-08-2019, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

on the 914/4 there are only 3 strut housings from the factory youll find.
2 from Boge early/late & 1 from Bilstein
All have 3" caliper bolt spacing.
The early are easily distinguished by the "pinch" bolt ball joint attachment
Late Boge housings (usually painted black) use a wedge pin for the ball joint mount.
The Bilstein housings were an option only available as part of the the "sport" group.
The housing would be green and they utilize a specific "upside down" insert that is secured via roll pin at the bottom of the housing.
If there were ever 914 specific inserts for the Bils they are NLA, but 911 inserts are a direct replacement.
They were mated with matching semi adjustable Rear shox. This was a somewhat rare option and very few are likely to exist today.

BTW I agree the BMW caliper swap isnt worth the effort.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: