Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 72_914
Tired of my slow 1.7L

First if you are going to reply to this saying "why do you want to do that, a built 2.0L would be just as fast..." stop reading now. I bought this car because it was cheap, looked good, cheap, handled well, cheap, had no rust (ok some surface but no body rot), and did I mention cheap? The 1.7L has to go. My wifes 4 door, 4 banger, automatic contour could kick it's ass. I don't want to do the big american V8 wedged into the back, or an expensive porsche V8 (or flat 6) in it either. I would like to try one of two things.

#1- A rotary of some kind. A first generation mated up to a side shift trans would be fun, cheap and easy. A third gen. twin turbo would be mind blowing. Probaly would go with a second gen naturaly asperated 13B with a slightly modified trans (this is where all you diehard porsche guys start crying and complaining)

#2- Might have to do some serious trunk modifications, but some type of front drive, 4 or 6 motor and trans moved to the back. A 175hp Vtec would be nice, but a 135hp-150hp would not be bad either. Could proably even keep the A/C.

Has anybody ever tried or heard of anybody doing either of the above? I have heard of some rotary transplants, but have never seen pictures or prices. I did see a northstar cramed into a Fiero once....hummmmm. Well Can't wait to read all the positive imput! Please no negative replys. I really have better thing to do than read how I a destroying my car or how powerful your two point something is. I want something diffrent. Thats why I bought the 914 in the first place.
Old 09-22-1999, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
How could a car with so much potential have been cast aside. How about a Subaru XT6 engine and trans. Build mounts, have an adapter made for the axles. and GOOOO! Cheap to buy donors,185hp I think, lots of parts.
Old 09-22-1999, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The rotary has been done before. Charles Broadfoot, who used to be on the 914 Rennlist, has or had one. The motor needs a LOT of cooling--as much as a V8. The radiator was up front, just as in the V8 conversion kits.

I've had a pipe dream for a while about trying to mount a pair of radiators in the engine compartment, one on each side of the motor. The motor is SOOOO small that it might just work! It would require fans and some creative ducting, but it would avoid most of the hacking necessary for the front-mounted radiator.

But it's no more than a pipe dream so far.

--DD
Old 09-22-1999, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
The 13B is nice, but read up on it first. There are tons of mods out there for it (some cheap, some not) the big thing is how the cylinder(?rotor?) wall is made. It is steel that is folded into the alum suround, then I think it is chrome plated. The scrapers on the rotors can be changed but the walls can't be machined, only replaced. What I'm tring to say is like just about any other motor find one with a good history.

What's the redline on those 1.1's? Higher than my yearly income?!?!?!
Old 09-23-1999, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The best Rotary conversion shop that I have heard of is in Santa Barbara, CA. Named Mariah Motor Sports-Desigh Energy, 414 North Salsipudes, SB CA 93101, 805-965-5115.

The do rebuilds, supply conversion parts and will do complete installations....

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 09-23-1999).]
Old 09-23-1999, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Two radiators in the back sounds interesting. I wonder if some how you could get a really narrow and long radiator made and put it where the the rain tray goes? You could even go as far as putting hinges and flexable hoses on it so it still works like the original. Hummm... Or how about two radiators, one in each rear wheel well with vents just behind the doors (and electric fans)? How does the MR2 do it? Or the fiero? Or the new Toyota MR Spyder? They could supply some needed parts/ideas.
Old 09-23-1999, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

seems to me you're getting away from the CHEAP idea. wouldn't it be cheaper to put a 2.0 or a 6 in than a rotary and radiator? my pipe dream is to put a 924 engine in a 914, (speaking of radiators.) how about a 924 turbo? i'm thinking of the go-fast goodies available for rabbit/golf/audi/924 engines that may be available. i wanted to put a porsche engine in a porsche (reference to club racing rules)
Old 09-24-1999, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok, I have to pipe up here, radiators on the sides?. Does anyone understand that there will extensive body and chassis massaging that will be required in order for the car to appear presntable. I was going to hold my tongue but the amount of effort and money that everyone is talking about it would sound to me like you can improve on what you currently have.
I'm a partial purist but I understand that the 914 lacks power in the engine department. If you want rotary buy an early RX-7, I've driven those cars at speed on the highway and on a course and they are well balanced stock.

Harsh?, consider the car in this link
http://home1.gte.net/nugentmd/914lite.htm

I'm sure alot of you are familiar with it, he's getting 190 somewhat horsepower. I think you can get a good used 73 1.8 liter case and build it with a little less displacment to keep it reliable. Get a bigger oil cooler, put them on the sides of the car if you wish and still get about 150 hp. If your looking for the wow factor anyone who knows Porsche's and flat 4's will probably be more impressed with the amount of thought that went into improving a 'dated' design. Instead of "wow thats a cool rotary where did you buy that kit".

If you want 200 to 300 horsepower with a mid engine buy an MR2 and rice it. Toyota improved alot on the original that you currentlty own.

If your worried about maintanance, consider this. Any water cooled auto that you will install on that car will require the same amount of maintance that an air cooled flat 4 will. If not more. You've got an extra factor to worry about and that is your cooling system.
The flat 4 that you currently own only needs to have its oil changed every 2-3 thousand miles and a valve ajustment at just about the same interval.
I gather from your sarcastic opening remark that you've already read about my 2.1 before. I do not baby my engine I drive it 'like the good doctor intended' and change my oil at the right interval with Mobil 1.
I can get in my car and not worry about any coolant or air conditioning. All I have to do is check the oil see if its full and go.
If you've read this far I'll tell you what your so tired of hearing. My 2.1, with the FI that I reinstalled, is faster than alot of cars out there. Being that I'm at sea level fiddling with my pressure sensor has helped. I've accumulted 10,000 miles 8,000 miles of those have been trouble free. The first 2,000 miles I had to work the bugs out of the FI.
You mention cheap about 4 times but you want to install a water cooled something or other with the possiblity of A/C. Uh, yeah. Lets see, condensor, compressor, radiator, wiring, coolant piping, A/C piping, sheetmetal modification. Have fun.
Notice, I never mentioned anything about how you are destroying your car. I dont care what you do to your car but it doesnt seem like common sense is persevering in this thread.
Rotarys and Chevy engines are not impressive in Porsches.

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 09-24-1999).]
Old 09-24-1999, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Just couldn't stand it could you? Just the type of response I was expecting. Thanks for not disapointing.

Old 09-24-1999, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

LOL,
There are days when I have nothing to do at work except lurk amongst this board and debate the different points of views.

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 09-24-1999).]
Old 09-24-1999, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I haven't measured or anything, but I do know that the engine in my folks pair of 2nd-gen Rx-7s are REALLY tiny! If you don't count all the A/C, power this, power that, cooling, etc.

My pipe dream is that you could somehow put the motor in the engine bay, and have two small radiators lying flat (or at an angle), one on each side of it. A pair of downdraft carbs or REALLY simple manifolds for EFI/whatever would go upwards. You could duct air for the induction down from the engine lid, and air for the radiators either downward next to the induction intake, or upward from the bottom. If you went up from the bottom, of course, you'd have to provide an exit of some kind for the air. Perhaps ducting through the rear trunk, or out the back of the car? Electric fans would be an absolute necessity, of course!

I wasn't talking about a Tetsterossa-type layout; I think the "acre-wide rear end" looks pretty stupid actually. Just something where you didn't have to cut up the front trunk, and hopefully didn't have to cut any external sheet metal at all! I like the idea of a stock-looking car that had all the POWER of a rotary in it. And effectively no red-line--at least, not for the motor. I bet you can blow up a 901 pretty easily by running the input shaft at 10,000 RPMs though... ;^)

As I said, it's a pipe dream. Even if I had a spare roller to experiment with, AND a spare rotary, I probably wouldn't do it.

--DD
Old 09-24-1999, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Just measured a SHO today. 32" long,24"high, 24"wide.
Old 09-25-1999, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

AARRRGGGHHHH!!!
Old 09-26-1999, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yet another idea, prob one I will attempt some time. Volvo makes a nice 1997 185+ h.p. opposed 4 mid engine with trany that looks like it would fit perfectly, almost a bolt in solution... Only thing is getting the water to cool it...
As for the cheap part, well thats relitive, I say 6k on an engine swap is expensive, but thats my estimate, and thats what I plan on doing.
Old 09-28-1999, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: