Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
901 transaxle

Has anyone used the heavy duty intermediate plate for the 914 transaxle that Automotion sells? What tends to be the weak links aside from 1st gear in these units when adding HP and torque.
Thanks
david
Old 09-27-1999, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

First of all why buy the plate from autoyuck when you can buy it from Pelican? Anyways the weak link in the transmission is several things,
1. 1st gear is only supported on one end so it can't handle as much torque.

2. The main problem in the higher power applications is heat.

You can add transmission fluid coolers to help this. Some of the racers have jets that spray cool fluid onto the different parts of the tranny to help cool it.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-27-1999, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks, Did not know PP sells them. If I decide to get one I will buy it from PP.
Old 09-27-1999, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Do those races use a seperate electric pump, or one of the Type-I autostick oil/tranny fluid pumps? I would think the T-I pump is the way to go, if it flows enough.
Old 09-28-1999, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am not sure about the pumps, as I have not personally seen a setup, only read about them. I personnaly would want a seperate electric pump, why I don't know, just a preference I guess.
Old 09-28-1999, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The setups I have seen (and I've only seen two, on race-only cars) were electric pumps external to the tranny case. If I remember correctly, one simply used the lines in and out of the case and the pump itself to cool the fluid (a little bit), while the other had a separate (small) cooler to cool the fluid more. Both were set-up internally (so I was told) with a spray-bar that cooled the gears and mainshaft, etc. And also made sure that there was lots of tranny fluid on most of the working parts.

BTW, one of these trannies is being powered by a "something over 300 HP" Jerry Woods-tuned 2.8L motor. I've seen the guy go through a couple of gears (as in destroy them), and he's lunched at least two pinion gears. The gears may be from shock loads (single event), but he believes the pinion gear failures to be incredibly-exaggerated wear from the extra power. The remaining teeth on the pinion gear had very noticeable pitting on the surface that contacts the ring gear. Not a pretty sight!

And it's still cheaper than sticking a 915 gearbox in...

--DD
Old 09-28-1999, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: