Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

power and style

Its about 4 a.m. now and I just got reviewing every topic dicussed and I must say everyone out there is remarkably helpful. I have a couple of questions.

1)Does anyone know of any quality re-body kits for the 914. I like the Rayco kit and am trying to stay away from whatever Fiber Jet calls their montrosity. All kit inf. would be greatly appreciated.

2)I know many of y'all out there are not big fans of engine conversions, however i am jut not satisfied with my 1.7litre even though it was rebuilt 1900 miles ago by PO.
I'm on a limited budget. Don't take me the wrong way, I want the power and low cost maintenance of an american engine, but I REFUSE to get insane with it like so many do.
Any and all help would be appreciated. I hope I'm not offending any of the die-hard porshe loyalist out there. I just can't afford a 928 conversion.

[This message has been edited by Dane (edited 09-21-1999).]
Old 09-21-1999, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Well OK,
I'm a purist but I can appreciate how you feel. I would to if my girl had a Vette

Someone in the town where I live has put a VW GTI motor and autotrans in a 914. Rumor has it that the next owner is swapping it for a VR6 and 5-speed.

Perhaps a Chrysler Turbo 4-cyl or V-6 might be more another option. Takes less room and could be easier to cool?

I,ve seen lots of pictures of V-8 conversions and they do seem a little crammed and then theres cooling etc..

Besides you will have to do alot of work stiffening the body to handle the weight and power of a V-8, Porsche or otherwise.

And on and on....

Good luck with your conversion or investigation into.
Old 09-21-1999, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This may or may not be helpful.
I've got the 2.0 in my car, I had it rebuilt by FAT performance to a 2.1.
Its got the orignal FI on it, actually I bought the FI components one by one because when I bought the car the PO had installed a 1.7 with a single carb in it. But it was born a 2.0.
I had FAT rebuild the whole shebang for $2200, they balanced all of the reciprocating mass. Flywheel, pressure plate, rods cranks pistons the flywheel was lightened as well. They put in a slightly hotter camshaft and ported the heads and put in bigger valves the car does 0-60 in 6 seconds. I tried this at a stop sign onto a highway and this was with me and a passenger in the car. I've got a Bursch exhaust on it. But IMHO I think it only provides a nice exhaust sound. FAT also plugged all the oil galleys among other things to provide me with longevity.
It wasnt cheap and I probably could have spent the same amount of money on an engine with more power. However its no slouch on the street the suspension feels like its more than up to the task. I can keep up with the Mustangs and occasionally pass the v-8's on the highway. You can rebuild you 1.7 liter to a 2.0 or maybe even a 2.1 put the FI back on (if it doesnt have it) and get descent performance. I would recommend FAT peformance I've been very satisfied with my engine. The engine revs so easily that I find it hard to belive that its a flat 4.
In fact the 1.7 is probably a good candidate becuase from what I understand it has a stronger bottom end than the 2.0's do. I've put about 10,000 miles on my car. Yes there are other options out there. But the 914 is a better track car than a straight line performer. The handling is suberb for a '20 + year old' design, some sports cars of today do not hold a candle to the 914. Aside from the 928 engine conversion that I'm hoping to do I wouldnt want any other engine in my car.
Thats my testimony, I hope you can glean some kind of useful information from my blabbering.

[This message has been edited by Steve M (edited 09-22-1999).]
Old 09-22-1999, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
O.K. why don't I just go completely off the thread...

The 1.7L bottom end isn't as good as the 2.0L or the 1.8L for that matter. The reason being there is no boss cast into the block for a windage tray. Beyond that the late model bus block I have (GE 77-78) beside the windage boss actually has more metal cast into it, I'm assuming this extra metal makes it stronger.
Old 09-22-1999, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Sorry thats my mistake, I thought it was the other way around. I thought the 1.7 had stronger bottom and the 2.0 had the weaker one.
Old 09-22-1999, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I appreciate everyones help I am currently looking over cost comparisons for total coversion or helping out what I have. Currently, I have a 1.7 that was rebuilt by PO. At some point he removed the FI and opted for solex carbs ( idiot ) he did however have the since to go with a slightly bigger cam. All this was done less than 1900 miles ago. I was thinking about purchasing either a 2.0 or a 6 cyl. but, since i'm rebuilding the car from bottom to top I still need to be cash concience about rebuilding either one of those motors. Someone e-malied me suggesting that I use a turbo 4 cyl. from chrysler because I'm on a low budget, and because of thier abundance. Let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by Dane (edited 09-23-1999).]
Old 09-23-1999, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
I think that, even if you got the Turbo motor for *free*, it would still be more expensive to install it than building up a moderately-zoomy four-cylinder Type IV motor and installing that.

Why? Well, with the VW Type IV, everything already fits. The flywheel and clutch are correct, the tranny mounting is correct, the motor mounts bolt on, and you don't have to figure out how to mount a radiator, run water lines, etc.

If you're on a budget, simple is the best thing. If you are really jonesing for more power, but still have limited resources, a "hot" four is the way to go. Six conversion will cost you a lot more than you think it will (check the conversion article on this site). And water-cooled conversions have a lot of issues to deal with that are not immediately obvious at first.

Just my two cents.

--DD
Old 09-24-1999, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Glad to hear the voice of reason speaking up.
Old 09-24-1999, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

hey,

I DID get the turbo engine for free. =) also all of the work for free... except for the adapter plate for the engine to tranny, and the crank to the flywheel. I have an extra flywheel/crank adapter for the six bolt crankshaft. I can also get pics of how it all fit, oh so nicely. the chrysler electronics were used in the turbo version, and the previous carb version didn't need any electronic adjustments with the right distributor set up. the radiator (out of a minivan) fits just fine next to the engine, and we have the fan reversed to blow air through the radiator instead of sucking it in. the carb version didn't have too many problems fitting, in the turbo version we robbed pieces and parts off of other turbo cars to use the newer electronics with the older style intake and the newer throttle body. (more air movement=more hp) we figure between 180 to 200 hp with the conversion, and are planning on building it up to around 300 hp with 18 psi boost, 52lbs per hour injectors, full floating pistons, even larger throttle body and a different "brain". i don't know how benefical the conversion would be to someone who doesn't have a plethora of turbo chryslers laying around on the farm. kennedy offered the conversion kit to fit the engine in for 500, but we had a local machine shop do it for a couple of high compression big block mopar heads and a high performance snow mobile engine. did i mention that there were hardly any body mods to get the engine to fit, and we haven't had any overheating of the turbo engine?
when i get pcitures, i WILL post them on an internet site. the car is across the state right now, because i am away at school, so it's going to be awhile.

-jim-
Old 09-28-1999, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: