Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

914/6 pre purchase questions

Hello All,
I am considering buying a 914/6 that I heard about from a friend.
I have not seen it yet but he said it sat for 15yrs and looks to be unmolested. The engine does not run at this point but the odometer has around 22k mi. Please advise me on the things i would want to look for in general. How do i tell if motor and chassis match etc...
I have had a few 911's and a 991 but no 914 yet
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The top three things to look for in any 914, including a 914-6, are:

- Rust
- Rust
- Rust

There are other considerations, of course, but rust is the #1 killer of these cars.

Check the VIN, if it starts with "914" you have a factory 914-6. If it starts with "47", you have a conversion.

Engine rebuilds, even on this lowest-power 911 engine, can still run $10K pretty easily.

The only way to tell exactly which engine number came with the car originally is to get a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. Those are not perfect, especially when it comes to option codes, but they're about the only real option. The actual numbers, as you probably know from 911 and 944 experience, are only related approximately.

See if you can find the VIN in the "Member's VIN numbers" section of the "914 Info" page on 914world. You may see a little bit of history about the car. Or maybe not; not all cars make it in there.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-08-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hi Dave
Thanks for the info:
The VIN does start with 914 and is in the registry, thanks for the direction!
There appears to be very little rust in trunks and floor boards, I have not been able to see the car in person yet. I will check the bat box area as well.
I looked on the Porsche web site but it appears they do not provide COA's anymore..
How can I tell if this is a grey market car? I was told it is...

Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The CoA is the only real way I know of to tell if a car is truly a grey-market car. You might call PCNA and talk to them about your situation; sometimes if you are nice they can verbally tell you "yeah that it legit" or "just a regular US-market car" or similar stuff. I think the understanding there is that they are giving you their best effort but they don't guarantee the results, and you won't sue them if they are wrong.

Anyway, a real Six can be worth some money. I do think that rear bumper is the later version, though, and probably not correct for the car.

--DD

Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Dave
Thanks again.
Here is a pic of another 914/6 that was restored to original. It looks like the same but i am no expert.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
That looks like the wrong bumper too.

Here's a pic of the correct version. Note the edges of the center recess.

--DD

Old 04-15-2019, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I see some signs that indicate the car may be reasonably unmolested. It appears to have the original airbox ( or at least the mounts that go with the original box). The rear valence appears to be an original and somewhat rare version. The rear bumper is not a six bumper as Dave pointed out, but a later version - not at all an unusual swap. Early dash with no cracks (unless it is covered).

I suggest that this car bears serious consideration. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: