Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

car jacking

Not the grand theft auto type but more the elevation of the vehicle.

Structurally at part of the underside is best to use a trolley jack, for the front and rear as I am reluctant to use the jack point or any part of the floor pan.

I suspect that my motor mounts need replacing hence the need to jack.

PS- How many are required? Pelican catalogue says two, but mittel motor seems to suggest one in the middle and one at the side.

At the moment I'm treading a thin line between confusion, ignorance and stupidity but am working hard on all three, Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2003, 06:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can use the tranny bell housing to raise the rear. Do not go further back under the tranny. You can use the A arm front mounting points in front, although that is off-center. You can use an insert tool made for your jacking points in the rockers with floor jack and you can jack one side at a time spreading the load with a 3 x 4 under the door towards the rear of center. On this last method, it helps to kerf the lumber with a table saw to bridge the pinch seam.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
The floor pan should be fine to use, at least along anywhere there is a joint between the floorpan (horizontal) and a bulkhead (vertical). You will need to spread the load out using a long-ish 2x4. Put a notch in the wood if it goes over any sharp seams (that's what Zeke meant) like on the bottom of the rocker panels.

The front A-arm mounts work very well. They are, as noted, asymmetrical, but they are designed to bear much more than 1/4 of the weight of the car. (Think: Leaning in a corner--this puts more than that wheel's "fair share" of weight on it.)

I use the stock jack points, but that isn't an option for someone in the Rust Belt or who thinks their jack points might be suspect.

I've never been fond of jacking the car by the engine or transmission, but I have done it. It puts a lot of stress on the motor mounts, particularly on the later side-shift transmission cars. (The "hockey puck" mounts do not do well in tension, they were made to best deal with loading in compression.) But frankly, there isn't a great lift point for the rear of the car... I would consider the floorpan over the tranny if the stock lift points were suspect.

I would use the "donuts" (round things that stick down from the bottom of the floorpan) except that is where I put the jack stands. There is one "donut" behind each front wheel well, and one more at each of the front corners of the engine bay where the longitudinal curves and goes upward. The right-side one is often kinda nasty though...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling

Last edited by Dave at Pelican Parts; 03-19-2003 at 06:34 PM..
Old 03-18-2003, 07:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Anyone have a pic of the underpan with best jack point possibilities drawn in? I think that would be handy for everyone.
Big Aspirations, Small Wallet
Old 03-19-2003, 12:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's a pic of my undercarriage, minus one jack points and mounting plate. The areas shown are where I've used a floor jack or jack stands (if not too rusty).
Old 03-19-2003, 02:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This may sound like a a daft question, (what I lack in knowledge I make up for in enthusiasm) but would a beetle jack fit a 914. Its been a few years since I had a bug and I;ve never had one with a jacking point or a seen a beetle jack.

P.S How bad is it when oil spits out of the exhaust pipe on start up until the engine's warm as even I can tell that this not what they originally had in mind

Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2003, 02:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

the spiting chud might be carbon and water. stick your finger in it, but don't taste it. see if it is oil. we won't start a cheech and chong tastes like dog **** thread.

the 911 suppliers ( pelican ) have jack pads that will fit your jack reciever and facilitate the use of a floor jack. replacing the motor mounts is easier with multiple devices.
01 f250 psd dirty the mule
60 correct craft starflite cool
69 correct craft torino hauls butt
72 correct craft ski nautique fun
66 vw 1500s will finish someday
Old 03-20-2003, 10:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go

Cheers
Old 03-20-2003, 10:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
OK, here's a try at the "diagram with the areas circled".

The red areas are around where I would jack up the car. The front is toward the left of the picture, and you are looking up at the underbody. The front two circles are the forward torsion bar mounts, while the other four circles are around the "donuts".

The rounded rectangles are the seams that are somewhat stronger than just bare floor pan, and are where I would consider running a 2x4 to put the jack under.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-20-2003, 01:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks Dave, this will be going on the garage wall today

on the other thing - started car put hand over exhaust end, hand covered in oil, I have a feeling this is bad, but am not sure what the cause is, the engine isn't hot, ideas?
Old 03-21-2003, 01:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I couldn't open 74914's pictures but Dave, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, most worthy of FAQ's and archives. Thanks so much!
Big Aspirations, Small Wallet
Old 03-21-2003, 06:13 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Old 03-21-2003, 06:13 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: