Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

009 v. 050. Excuse my ignorance, but . . .

I've seen lot's of talk on using an 009 v. an 050 distributor, but I really don't know the why's and wherefore's of using one or the other. In what circumstances is one better than the other? I have a '75, 1.9 ltr (big bore kit, otherwise, completely stock) L-jet. I am also using a pertronix ignition, and I passed the CA smog test LEGALLY!
Old 09-29-1999, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The 009 in our racer has just mechanical advance, more of it and a more agressive advance curve. The 050 in the 2.0l FI car has vacuum advance/retard, slightly less advance, less agressive curve and a place for the FI trigger points.
Old 09-30-1999, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Sorry, John, the "050" is a different distributor than the stock 1.7/2.0 one. I don't know what the original application was, but I hear that the 050 can be set up either with a vaccuum gizmo or without one. And that, even without the vaccuum thing, it still has more advance built in than the 009.

According to rumor, the 009 was originally designed for stationary applications, such as electrical generators. The amount of available advance built in is more limited than a 914 would be happy with. Also, the quality of a good number of them is evidently suspect.

If you have the stock 1.8 dizzy available, use it. It's got more advance than any other stock 914 dizzy, and I think I rmember that it also has more than the 050 and much more than the 009.

--DD
Old 09-30-1999, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
As I posted earlier on this site, the 090 and 050 are practically identical visually, except for advance curve and cap & rotor appearance.

The 009 has roughly 12 of "all now" advance, whereas the 050 has approximately 22-25 of "spread out" advance. This is more in-tune with the advance "desires" of the 2.0L, making converted carb-equipped cars more tolerable.

The distributors in the F.I. cars are vastly different; vacuum advance/retard capable, and contain the FI triggers below the points mounting plate. I've yet to see a vacuum 050 version (by another part #, maybe), but I'm sure somebody's perverted one with vacuum by now.

Sometimes installing a "functioning" vacuum-advance setup on converted dual carb-equipped cars can be a chore. Not impossible, just a chore. Most drop-in kits don't allow for vacuum advance, assuming you're going to a high-performance nuclear ignition system anyway.
Old 10-01-1999, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Now I know why I got confused, my 009 has been rebuilt with total advance similar to the 050 so the higher compression race engine could crank and start a little better with less initial advance. From what I remember from my drag racing days in the 60's, vac advance was used only as a means to allow an engine to crank and start easily and as soon as it was running the vac would kick in and the advance would increase? This was really important with radical cam profiles that had lots of overlap and 8 single barrel carbs on my small block Chevy.
Old 10-01-1999, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: