Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
painting top of roll bar

I have seen a couple cars with the top of the roll bar painted the body color. What is involved in doing this and does the painted piece get scuffed up from the top rubbing on it?

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 03-26-2003, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Thumbs up Top of roll bar

BIGGY. Mine is painted the body color ( Black) looks great. I have't noticed any problems with scratches or marks from taking the top on and off. I would check first as to how tight the latches are, of course you want no movement. Go for it. Dave
M.V.R.P.C.A.
73,BLACK ,2.0
Old 03-27-2003, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine also is painted, you have to remove the material that covers it and then prep and paint. Most people remove the Chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the sail panel, this requires that you fill the remaining holes. Also, make sure that your rear top seal is good, I used the procedure for making your own thats on this site and it worked great!
Old 03-27-2003, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
the sail panel holes are already filled in and my top seals are almost new. My car's orange right now, but it will soon be black...well when time and money permits it will be black any way and I just don't want to have to deal with the vinyl if I don't have to. My sail panels never did have vinyl on them since I got the car.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 03-27-2003, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I say go for it; I like that nice "slick" look with no vinyl.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Some came that way, IIRC. Mine did. No sail vinyl/trim, painted rollbar. Non Appearance non option 1.7L. But I got 72 doors on a 73 w/ 73 window regs Came that way from the factory...

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 03-27-2003, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
That's an early 73 car--late windows without door bars. Not that common...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 03-28-2003, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Korijo,

Just browsing your page, project looking good.

Note: When drilling your rotors and hubs did you not consider staggering the holes so that there may be a little more material around the studs. I know on the rears there are thicker sections already on the hubs for the exsisting bolts, but it still seems a little light. Comments on the subject might make up my mind wheather I do the same. Definitly increases the wheel options considerably. I've often considered it but...hey nothin ventured nothin gained?

Conrad
Old 03-28-2003, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: