Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

what octane gas

Hello, a sign says use octane 91 gas next to the gas tank, what are you all using in your 914?
Old 09-05-2019, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - take a look at the 2 links below for some good info. Let us know if you have any other questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914QA/914Q_engine_fuel_octane.htm

What gas do you all put in these 914s?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
dr914 ***********

cheapest stuff you can find, that is a german measurement
Old 09-06-2019, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
well the first link must be at least 20 years old because the newest 914s now are 44 years old. And fuel is even more different now i would think.

The only thing available around here is 91 RON. what about adding octane boosters?
2015 BMW X5
Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Yeah, the first link is at least 20 years old.

The second half of it I still stand behind. The "91" on the sticker is "91 RON". The Research Octane Number is one way to measure a fuel's octane rating; the Motor Octane Number is another. The US, as far as I know, all uses "AKI", which is the average between the RON and MON numbers. MON is always 8-10 points lower than RON for a given batch of fuel, which means that the AKI is 4-5 points lower than the RON rating.

Which means when the sticker on the car says "91 RON", it is calling for fuel from US pumps labeled 87 Octane.

Octane boosters are not very helpful. Most of them will only help the octane rating by something like a couple of tenths of a number. (I believe that the "points" they claim to raise the Octane level by are tenths of an Octane rating number. No, I don't know how they get away with that.)

Use regular-grade in standard 1.8 or 2.0 motors; use super-grade in 1.7 and Six motors.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-08-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Dave, How do you group the 1.8 and 2.0 motors separate from the 1.7 and six motors?

Keith.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

steering wheel removal video available?

Hello, would like to fix my blinkers not going off automatically when I make one direction turn so would like to know how to take steering wheel off with video, it's a momo but MIGHT put the stock wheel back on. Any thoughts on which wheel you prefer?, any directions or videos on wheel removal?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche 2 View Post
Dave, How do you group the 1.8 and 2.0 motors separate from the 1.7 and six motors?
Because the stickers on the 2.0 and the 1.8 both say "91 RON" or "91 RON/ROZ" (ROZ is just RON in German), and the stickers on the 1.7 and Six say "98 RON".

It's not a coincidence that the 1.8 and 2.0 have relatively low compression and the 1.7 and Six have higher compression...

--DD

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brcacti View Post
Hello, would like to fix my blinkers not going off automatically when I make one direction turn so would like to know how to take steering wheel off with video, it's a momo but MIGHT put the stock wheel back on. Any thoughts on which wheel you prefer?, any directions or videos on wheel removal?
Check the other thread about steering wheel removal; there's a link to a tech article there.

The canceling is done by, I think, a metal tab in the steering column that often makes a run for it when the column is taken apart. I haven't pulled one apart like that so I don't know how it actually goes together. You might pick up a Haynes manual and see if it has any instructions or photos.

--DD

Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Re octane, makes sense, thanks Dave.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: