Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Value of 1974 914 2.0 one owner

First of all, I am not a Porsche guy, but I came across a one owner, 1974 914 2.0 this last week and am trying to get a handle on what the value (price) should be. The one owner 914 is I believe Delphi Green on Black, 57K miles, no rust (has been in enclosed garage in low humidity geography) I believe original spare and wheel, small tear in drivers bottom seat cushion, small tear at upper corner of driver seat back where seat belt has rubbed, small dink on hood, paint is excellent, last registered and parked in 1997 and hasn't been driven since. Owner is afraid to try to start it and has removed the battery. Has original title showing one owner and looking for known additional documentation. There's more, but let me attach a few pictures and ask those who know what this car should sell for. I know if it were running that would add significant value, but right now he does not intend to do what is needed to get it running. Thanks for your help. Should I choose not to pursue, I would be happy to connect you to the seller.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
dr914 ***********

I would certainly be interested in the car and or give you some advice about it. George Hussey
Old 09-21-2019, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Depending on overall condition (ie, how much rust is under the battery tray, and hence, the rear suspension support) these cars can range from a few k to 20K.

Not running hurts ability to sell of course. It could be as simple as drain the gas and oil. Plugs., points, condensor and if worried about aging, the fuel and brake lines.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ferrariguyma
One in a similar color recently sold at auction for $58k. So figure 35-40 is value given needs
Old 09-23-2019, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
https://www.classic.com/veh/1974-porsche-914-20-4742906575-PWx0wgW/
Old 09-23-2019, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
In general, the value ranges from "Get it out of here!" to ~90K. Depends on a ton of factors, including overall mileage (verifiable mileage!), condition of the structural parts, condition of the finishes, if all of the original parts are present, what condition they are in, and so on.

Most cars will be in the bottom third of that range; to get out of that you're talking a super-great all-original car that is clean enough to eat off of.

If the car doesn't run (or if it's unknown) the value drops quite a lot as well. Project cars never bring full value.

My guess, as it sits, is about $5K. Get it running and you can probably triple that. Verify low mileage, or verify the condition of all the typical rust areas, and you can push it higher.

... then again, my estimates may be behind the times ...

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-23-2019, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
IMHO “way behind the times at 5k guesstimate”. One owner, rare color, 2.0L. desirable year, under 100k = 5 digit asks. sorry
Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I guess you guys can see why establishing a market price for this one owner, 57K mile, rare color car that is not running or driving at this time is a little challenging. $5K to ?? is a huge range. I am trying to get some answers to your questions pertaining to the hell hole, etc, but may take a while. The car does still have it's original fuel injection and has not been converted to carbs. More later and thanks for the opinions. Keep them coming!
Old 09-25-2019, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

from what I have seen 914 price range is ALL OVER THE PLACE depending on condition. VERY HARD to give an amount as the car sits.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariguyma View Post
One owner, rare color, 2.0L. desirable year, under 100k = 5 digit asks. sorry
For a non-running project?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I’m with Dave 5-10k as it sits. The 58k is an outlier and doesn’t play into the value range just like one that sold for $100 and a Dr Pepper wouldn’t.
I would think in perfect, running condition it’d be worth $20-$25k but considerably less seeing as how it hasn’t moved in over 20 years.
Tony
Old 09-30-2019, 11:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I have a ‘75 that I bought running for $2350 and a ‘73 that needed work for $10.5K. Whatever you do, tell the ‘one owner’ to take it to an air cooled repair guy and get her running. Might cost $350 to see if she will. Then, document the heck out if her, and throw her on bringatrailer.com and see what she fetches. Bet its over $25K if she is as sweet as she SHOULD be, with the history you indicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-19-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Smile

You should post same question on 914world.com
Old 10-23-2019, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Still working on getting and justifying a realistic price for this car. Owner thinks it's worth a fortune and can't understand that it's going to take some work and money to get it going. Answer this for me. What would you see the value being if it were running and driving? Keep in mind that it's original Delphi Green paint is in excellent condition, still has it's original 2.0 engine with original fuel injection in tact, no rust issues, one owner and 57K miles. I don't consider outlier auction bids to be realistic nor do I take into account low ball estimates. You guys are some of the experts out there. What would you pay for this car running and driving? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
dr914 ***********

we would need a good photo shoot to tell. We just bought an original paint one owner immaculate original interior that had been sitting since 1993 for 3500 but will have to spend 100 hours on it to get it running and driving as it should. Cars that sit need everything and you owe a low mile original car like this loving attention to make it once again what it was without compromise
Old 10-25-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Just tell the owner to put it up for sale for whatever ridiculous price he thinks it’s worth. The market will either accept or reject his number and he will know. You can use comps to justify anything but until someone hands you money, it’s all a guess.
Old 10-26-2019, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

it's a bit more complicated than that unfortunately. At first he wanted to just throw it out there with no price and take offers until he found someone willing to pay his price. A price he has asked me to help him determine, hence my original post. I told him just as sellers don't like tire kickers, buyers don't like sellers who can't decide on a selling price. I then told him it's better to put out a high price and have the buyer tell you why it's not worth that than to get a low ball offer and have to justify why it's worth more when he doesn't really know why it's worth more. I am tracking actual sales on ebay, Bring a Trailer, Hagerty's auction results and others to gauge actual sales. It's an 80 year old man trying to sell it for his 83 year old sister......enough said.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

This car was recently sold by a high-end dealer. It belonged to a good friend of mine (who owns many very nice Porsches) and is about as nice a 914 as you are going to find anywhere. You can assume, correctly, that the dealer got all he could for it. It is a '72 with a 1.7 in Willow Green. Not as desirable as a '74 2-liter...but in top-of-the-market condition. It brought $22,000...

https://roadscholars.com/current-offerings/public-stock/1972-willow-green-porsche-914-1-7/

So what's that non-running, stored since 1997, needing God knows what, 914 worth?? These sorts of cars are always tough calls. He can either spend the money to find out what it needs or take a chance and see what it brings. Maybe try Bring A Trailer with a reserve...
1974 Triumph TR6
1974 Datsun 260Z

Last edited by 767driver; 10-28-2019 at 06:47 AM..
Old 10-28-2019, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Thanks 767driver. That is very helpful information and a good example of what a to-of-the-mark car will sell for when running and driving properly. It's a wild ride, but still hanging on for now. Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I assume you have reviewed the auction prices for this 914 2.0 on bringatrailer dot com and other sites?
Tell your owner friend to start there.
Just the other day, a 2.0 that had been fixed up by *********** didn’t reach reserve at about $16K.
Amazing the difference in values just by who is looking week to week.
Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: