Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
JClanin

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to jclanin
New to the 914: Clutch Feel

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a 914. I've driven a few '75 2.0 cars (although it's been quite a while) and a '74 1.8 just yesterday.

The '74 is a very well sorted car with a recent engine rebuild and a new clutch (reputable shop).

Engine sounds great and pulls strong (for a 914 1.8. My question is about the clutch feel. The clutch is very light compared to my '87 911 3.2 which is not surprising. But starting off in 1st is a bit odd. It just seems like there's not much 'bite' to the clutch engagement point thus I feel like have have to keep the gas pedal down a good bit to get going. All other shifts at speed seem fine.

I realize there could be MANY factors to this 'feel', but I'm really just here to find out if that 1st gear / clutch engagement is normal in these cars. I just don't have enough experience to tell.

I'll post many more details about the car if I go further with the sale.

thanks!

Jim Clanin
Old 11-08-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you are serious about a 914, there are lots of books that might help you. A "Haynes" manual might be a good place to start. Clutch adjustment and operation is covered along with a lot of other help. This web site is a HUGE source of information as well.
Insults and name calling is the first line of defense for the truly ignorant and stupid.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclanin View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a 914. I've driven a few '75 2.0 cars (although it's been quite a while) and a '74 1.8 just yesterday.

The '74 is a very well sorted car with a recent engine rebuild and a new clutch (reputable shop).

Engine sounds great and pulls strong (for a 914 1.8. My question is about the clutch feel. The clutch is very light compared to my '87 911 3.2 which is not surprising. But starting off in 1st is a bit odd. It just seems like there's not much 'bite' to the clutch engagement point thus I feel like have have to keep the gas pedal down a good bit to get going. All other shifts at speed seem fine.

I realize there could be MANY factors to this 'feel', but I'm really just here to find out if that 1st gear / clutch engagement is normal in these cars. I just don't have enough experience to tell.

I'll post many more details about the car if I go further with the sale.

thanks!

Jim Clanin

Hi Jim - I understand what you're asking, but not quite sure how to respond. The 914 clutch is definitely lighter than your 3.2 but it shouldn't feel like nothing is there. I would recommend sending Dave at Pelican Parts a PM - he's extremely well versed in 914s and will be able to give you all the info you'll need.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: