Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
914 Clutch Replacement

I'm sure this topic has already been covered in depth but I am new to the 914 and would like to get some first-hand opinions. The clutch on the car engages extremely high the pedal, and I have decided that it is time for a complete replacement. (Cannot be adjusted any lower and cable is new) I have been looking at complete kits as I'd like to give it a complete refresh and just want make sure I purchase the best kit for the $$$. The 911 type disc seems to be a popular option with the 6 springs and from what I've read seems to be a direct replacement? Is the kit from pelican a good option? I'd just like to get some feedback from other who have gone through the process. We will be doing the work ourselves and have access to a shop with lifts and mechanics so this will not be an issue.

Side note: I believe it is the original clutch, the car currently has 59,000 miles.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Is the clutch slipping in 4th or 5th gear?
Replacement clutch cables are not all the same length. Go on 914 world and ask.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblav View Post
Is the clutch slipping in 4th or 5th gear?
Replacement clutch cables are not all the same length. Go on 914 world and ask.
Im not quite sure what you're referring to with 4th and 5th gear? The issue we're experiencing is an extremely high release point in all gears. It's the original clutch, and has no more adjustment left.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Just to clarify, we will be dropping the tranny for other reasons and replacing the clutch either way as we will already be in it. I'm just looking for some input into whether or not an entire kit should be purchased and if it would be better to find the 911-style disc.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I replaced my disc with the upgraded 6 spring disc. Additionally, I’ll recommend while you are in there to replace the Teflon cup in the clutch fork. The upgraded disc is sold individually by our host.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess p View Post
I replaced my disc with the upgraded 6 spring disc. Additionally, Iíll recommend while you are in there to replace the Teflon cup in the clutch fork. The upgraded disc is sold individually by our host.
Did you notice a difference with the 6 spring plate over the 4 spring?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Puny Bird

Get the six spring, it has less clearance issues than the 4 spring if you or a PO had the flywheel machined. I don't even know if they still make the 4 spring, it would likely be very old stock if you found one.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old Today, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: