Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Angry GROUND point locations?

I'm pulling my hair out. Super slow turn on the starter....hot, cold, does not matter. Plug in to wall outlet (via converter) and it starts right up. Without this juice from the outlet, the starter will groan a couple of turns and then it is as if the battery is dead.......but the lights, etc still work fine.

New starter. New Battery. Cleaned ground from starter to tranny. Cleaned ground from battery to body. New connections at battery. Cleaned all visible elec connections. Read the tech articles and followed advice.

NOTHING is making a snit of difference in the problem. I've been waiting for Alan Funt to jump out with a camera crew....but I'm having my doubt on that too.

Where are any grounding points that I should check? I have done the obvious stuff. I'm going bonkers.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

FI ground points are underneath the phlenum, on three spade connectors. Might be an ignition switch issue...
Old 04-05-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
There is another ground to body connection behind the relay board (remove the relay board cover to see it attached to the inner left 1/4 panel)

Also check the grounds in the headlight buckets.

I agree with chrisreale on a possible ignition switch problem. Is that connection solid? (Big yellow wire to spade connector at starter)
Don
Race a Porsche - There's more to life than left turns!
Old 04-05-2003, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Starter circuit:

Power from battery (+) terminal directly through large wire to stud on starter. Ground path is through starter case to tranny case to ground strap to chassis to battery ground strap to battery (-) post.

Check and clean all of those connections. Yes, that means removing the starter to clean it. You might also consider running a large ground wire from a starter mounting bolt to the battery ground, but I regard that as an ugly patch, mostly for testing.

In general, problems with the ignition switch and solenoid and such result in no cranking at all (just a click or nothing). So I would tend to suspect the other parts of the circuit that I mentioned above.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-05-2003, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

if the trans to body strap is the old oem, braided copper, some times just cleaning it may not be enough. pehaps a NEW strap is in order, relatively cheap and easy. eliminate that potential prob for another 30 yrs, and if the problem persists you know for sure it's something else.

kevin
Old 04-06-2003, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yea, I thought of that too Kevin.......I put on a new one and then even added ANOTHER one for good measure. I also replace the wires from battery to starter.

I'm going to check the grounds in the headlights and behind the relay board........I'd check the FI point grounds under the PHLENUM if I had even the foggiest idea what a phlenum was.......I thought that was a female reproductive organ or something.........

I'll try the DD ugly wire patch too.

I admit that I am intimidated by the ignition switch check. Just seems like something I could REALLY screw up. Does one just replace the switch and hope that was the problem....or is there some means by which I can SEE that it is faulty? I'm supposing that it does not have the little finger push pads on it like Duracell batteries that tell you if it is good or not.
Old 04-06-2003, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
"I thought it was a female reproductive organ or something"...

I know it's easy to make that mistake on the Phlenum, but I believe "Volvo" is part of the female reproductive system.

But then again, I've got my own mess to fix! Back to the garage...
Old 04-06-2003, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
A plenum is a chamber for stuff to flow through. The thing that the throttle body and intake runners attach to is a plenum. It is also called the intake manifold, though that can also encompass the intake runner pipes as well.

The FI grounds are on the crankcase seam, up near the back of the engine. That winds up being under the plenum--mostly.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 04-06-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
A plenum is a chamber for stuff to flow through. The thing that the throttle body and intake runners attach to is a plenum. It is also called the intake manifold, though that can also encompass the intake runner pipes as well.
This seems consistant with my original thought.......
Old 04-06-2003, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Potter,

Just to clarify, the ground connection behind the "plenum" (although it may need cleaning) should not affect your starter performance, as this is the ground for the ECU and FI harness.

Following Dave's suggestions should identify whether the problem is directly with that circuits ground. If not, then the ignition is a likely candidate.

My $0.02
Old 04-07-2003, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Actually, I think "Volvo" is greek for "ugly car that always runs" . The wagons, in the hands of teenage sons, can be a somewhat effective form of birth control.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
gaurds73/2.0,
I may tend to disaggree on the "effective method of birth control" issue. I was a "teenage son" once, and the only "vehicle" that may have made me think twice about not using it as a rolling motel was a squad car!
Don
Old 04-11-2003, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

potter, is there the sound of an engine running in the garage yet ? how is the new one? you owe me some pictures. did you spring for the camera?

kevin
Old 04-11-2003, 05:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: