Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
where's my oil spot?

You know I've owned air cooled VW's for a few years now and every one's leaked oil, and I've heard the same problem occurs in 914's, but for some reason mine isn't leaking any oil. It's been sitting in the same spot since new years day and there's not a bit of oil on the ground. I guess I could consider myself lucky, but now that I said this I'm guessing it'll start dripping like everyone else's. I'm hoping to have her in primer by next friday and back on the road within two weeks, but depending on how much homework I have the date might be pushed back a little.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-06-2003, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

No leak since January?? Better check your dipstick.

73 2.0
Old 04-06-2003, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Biggy72,

Mine doesn't leak either unless I take it out and drive it.

First it was the oil cooler. Not the seals mind you, it was coming out the cooler. Gotta pull the engine again.
Then I see a couple of drops after pulling out for work. Checked this weekend and it appears to be the oil filter bracket. The lower nut was loose, so I tightened. But it almost looks like there was no gasket between the bracket and the case. Hmmmm!

Fun, fun, fun!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
after your post talking about having no oil I got to thinking and realized I hadn't ever checked it, so I went out and looked and it looks like it just recently had an oil change and the oil was right where it needed to be. I guess I just got lucky, but I'm paying for it in all the body work I'm doing right now.

WSU Formula SAE
Drivetrain team leader/ Suspension team
http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~sae/
Old 04-07-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, mine's the same. I let it sit on the driveway one winter for 4 months and no oil spots. Now I drive it daily and it leaks like a seive. I'm assuming the hot oil in the cooler and/or valve covers is the culprit.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
also check your push rod tube seals... I just reassembled my engine, and I assume it will leak now, it didn't seem to use any before though...
Old 07-17-2003, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: