Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brake master cylinder size question

I just bought a new 996 Turbo (same as GT3) master cylinder off E-Bay. I was hoping to use it on my 914 with 1990 C2 calipers. Does anyone know the size of this master cylinder? Is it too large for my application? Do I need the power booster to go with it? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can measure the ID of the mastercylinder and that will tell you the size. The stroke is how far the piston will move to pump the brakes. The stock m/c equates to 3/4in, the larger 911 replacement equates to 7/8in and the big Mercedes is 1in. I might be off by 1/8in so DD or someone can check to be sure. The length is a big issue due to the steering support and if you use the large Mercedes m/c you have to use the alloy 911 member. The only way to check to see if it will go in is to remove your old one and see if it will go in. The 914 system also uses seperate line connections for the front and rear brakes so you'll have to see if the tube conns match with what is on the m/c? Finally you will have to make a connector with the pedal to the m/c accuating rod so you can get sufficient piston stroke. For some more details on m/c sizing there are several tech articles on the site here. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I think the master cylinder is 25.4 mm as stated on a very informative website here. I bought my 914 stripped of almost everything except the wheels and what I have been told is a 911 suspension. So assuming that I am starting from scratch what would be the route to take?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: